Pork ribs 101

I'm really impressed by these Victorinox knives and, after tons of research, I'm quite happy I chose them to stock my kitchen when I decided entirely new knives were in order and my multi-decade hand me downs were ready for retirement.
I have a lot of money invested in other brands of German and Japanese knives, but I’m retired with a little discretionary income and that’s part of the fun of my culinary adventure. But your comment on this could not be more spot-on. I have 1-2 Victorinox knives and they are without question great value and performers.

I find the Victorinox knives to have excellent profiles. They are blanked out (punched) out of annealed plate, then processed with heat treating and grinding, etc..

We have a few. The one Victorinox that I claim as mine is a straight edged brisket carving knife. I try to keep it razor sharp, but I'm swimming upstream. My wife likes to use it to cut squares in her pyrex baking dishes. That dulls it immediately and when I want to carve meat, I have to sharpen it. It's pretty soft steel when compared to modern high end kitchen knife steels, RC 56. So, it sharpens easily.

I bought a Warther brisket knife a year or so ago, made of S35VN. I wanted a harder, more wear resistant carving knife than my Victorinox. Something RC 60+. But after it arrived, I really didn't like the quality of the hand grinding. The edge actually had a concave belly in part of the blade. I called about it and asked if they could correct it. They simply offered a refund. The Victorinox is (CNC?) machine ground and has a nearly straight, slightly convex belly, which is perfect, IMO.

Not too sure about that last part. I'm sure how much you use them has a massive impact on this but just based on my standard usage (typical kitchen use, perhaps less) the ones I use most frequently have still held an edge quite well. I thought that I might need to hone them up a bit or possibly put a fresh edge on them more frequently but so far... so good.

I'm really impressed by these Victorinox knives and, after tons of research, I'm quite happy I chose them to stock my kitchen when I decided entirely new knives were in order and my multi-decade hand me downs were ready for retirement.
I think the Victorinox knives have some great blade profiles. My only reservation with them is the steel is fairly middle of the road. But I haven't found a brisket slicer that I like better than the Victorinox...yet. I had a Dalstrong, but it didn't glide thru the meat like the Victorinox profile/Granton grooves did.

My wife has gone through a few different brands over the years. She had a Henkels set of kitchen knives long ago, followed by a Wusthof set. When she wanted to get rid of the Wusthofs about 20 years ago, I proclaimed that I wanted to keep the 7" Santoku knife out of the set. I still use that one every day. She replaced the Wusthofs with a Cutco set. I've never warmed up to Cutco. A few years ago, I bought her a Shun Dual Core 7" Santoku. Today was knife sharpening day. All of them. whew!

I have a lot of money invested in other brands of German and Japanese knives, but I’m retired with a little discretionary income and that’s part of the fun of my culinary adventure. But your comment on this could not be more spot-on. I have 1-2 Victorinox knives and they are without question great value and performers.
I'm not retired but would probably still be embarrassed to admit how much I have tied up in edged items. For me, I was relived to learn I could actually get a bunch of "budget" (relative term) knives to do the job in the kitchen. I've been washing them by hand after each use but, lately, I've been tempted just to toss them in the dishwasher with the rest of the utensils once I'm done. When I compare the cost of these to the options I would have selected if these don't exist it makes me a little less uneasy about how much I have tied up in edged items. :cool:

Summary: I've been quite happy with my Victorinox Fibrox kitchen knives the last few years. Not a paid advertisement.
20220202_142048.jpg

Last edited:
The grinder is a somewhat older Delta 8” slow speed grinder that’s been a real workhorse in my shop. That’s a Wolverine base on both sides, while the right side has a Tormek jig mounted in the Wolverine. I’ve got a follow-up question I’ll send you a message on as I’ve taken us really off-topic of ribs.
I was eyeing a Tormek. My wife is hard enough on the cutlery that I might be able to justify it. :D :unsure::cry:

,,,When she wanted to get rid of the Wusthofs about 20 years ago, I proclaimed that I wanted to keep the 7" Santoku knife out of the set. I still use that one every day. She replaced the Wusthofs with a Cutco set. I've never warmed up to Cutco. A few years ago, I bought her a Shun Dual Core 7" Santoku. Today was knife sharpening day. All of them. whew!
Wow! I guess thats what makes the world go around; different strokes for different folks. I wouldn’t part with my Wusthof knives for any reason. They have always served me exceedingly well. The steel is top-notch and holds an edge well. My 14” Wusthof Brisket Slicer goes through brisket like it was warm butter.

Like all quality knives, they do need to be sharpened periodically but that’s no big deal for me.

Wow! I guess thats what makes the world go around; different strokes for different folks. I wouldn’t part with my Wusthof knives for any reason. They have always served me exceedingly well. The steel is top-notch and holds an edge well. My 14” Wusthof Brisket Slicer goes through brisket like it was warm butter.

Like all quality knives, they do need to be sharpened periodically but that’s no big deal for me.

My wife would gift her old set to her nieces and nephews, then get a new set. For some reason, she had it in her mind to get Cutco knives. She was making more than her share of the pot and I probably didn't cook as much back then. So, who was I to argue? While I haven't really found a good reason to dislike the Cutco knives, I don't like their handles. But the blades are as good as Wusthof, maybe a bit harder.

I think the Victorinox knives have some great blade profiles. My only reservation with them is the steel is fairly middle of the road. But I haven't found a brisket slicer that I like better than the Victorinox...yet. I had a Dalstrong, but it didn't glide thru the meat like the Victorinox profile/Granton grooves did.

My wife has gone through a few different brands over the years. She had a Henkels set of kitchen knives long ago, followed by a Wusthof set. When she wanted to get rid of the Wusthofs about 20 years ago, I proclaimed that I wanted to keep the 7" Santoku knife out of the set. I still use that one every day. She replaced the Wusthofs with a Cutco set. I've never warmed up to Cutco. A few years ago, I bought her a Shun Dual Core 7" Santoku. Today was knife sharpening day. All of them. whew!
When my wife and I got married, she brought a set of Cutco knives with her that were nicer than the hand-me-down cutlery that I owned. I took over 100% of the family meal prep when she was diagnosed with breast cancer 19 years ago. So that’s 19 years where basically she hasn’t cooked, but do you think she will take that knife block of Cutco knives off the kitchen counter? Nope!

To her credit, she gifted me my first Wusthof or otherwise I would probably still be using the Cutco set. My favorite ‘chef knife‘ profile is the Santoku also-I can’t explain why but it just feels like an extension of my hand that I don’t get with a traditional western chef knife. Here are my 3, and the 5” Ikon Blackwood gets by far the most use. After a few more sharpenings, I expect the edge will be into the bottom of the scallops.

7DCD03CD-B31E-49E7-967F-A0298E6D01AD.jpeg

When my wife and I got married, she brought a set of Cutco knives with her that were nicer than the hand-me-down cutlery that I owned. I took over 100% of the family meal prep when she was diagnosed with breast cancer 19 years ago. So that’s 19 years where basically she hasn’t cooked, but do you think she will take that knife block of Cutco knives off the kitchen counter? Nope!

To her credit, she gifted me my first Wusthof or otherwise I would probably still be using the Cutco set. My favorite ‘chef knife‘ profile is the Santoku also-I can’t explain why but it just feels like an extension of my hand that I don’t get with a traditional western chef knife. Here are my 3, and the 5” Ikon Blackwood gets by far the most use. After a few more sharpenings, I expect the edge will be into the bottom of the scallops.

View attachment 14702
Greg, my Wusthof 7" santoku is already into the granton grooves. It really doesn't affect anything I do. It's still a fine knife. I agree on the feel of a santoku profile. It feels right.
Our collection of santoku knives. The Shun at the top is my wife's, Wusthof, Cutco 7", ans the baby Cutco on the bottom.
20220203_084931.jpg

If I could only have one knife, it would be the Wusthof Classic 7” Santoku. I have about a dozen Wusthof knives, but the one I reach for the most is the 7” Santoku. As @Greg Jones said above, “it feels like an extension of my hand.”

And, If I could have just two knives, I would add the 5” Wusthof Classic Santoku. It is a paring knife on steroids!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back