Is 3-2-1 and even 2-2-1 too long for pork ribs?

geneseohawk

I've read that ribs are actually the best at 3-1-30min? I am hearing that 3-2-1 and even 2-2-1 is just too long to cook ribs even at 225? That is everyone's thoughts?

I'm in the camp of 3-2-1 is too long, if I wrap it's 3/45/30 at 235F or approx 5 hours unwrapped. Oh forgot to mention that I kick up the temp to 275F wrapped, then back down to 250F for the last 30 minutes.

Last edited:
I agree in general. On average 3-2-1 will create fall off the bone ribs, depending of course on how meaty the original product was. I try to avoid cooking by time anyway as it inevitably ends up not cooking long enough or overcooking.

With that said I frequently cut things too close to serving or finish up super early before people are ready (or even present) to eat. I guess that knowledge just comes with more experience. I am still learning...

We are all still learning, I'm gonna do some BB's tomorrow with the method I just mentioned, will take a pic and let y'all know how they turn out. I have also given up on foiling up my grease pan, I'll just do my best to clean it regularly depending on the cook.......it's more seasoning patina.

Sometimes the formulas happen to work out, sometime they don't, I gave up long ago watching the clock.

I do my ribs at 225, in general they take me between 5 and 6 hours, weather seems to effect it some, as does the actual piece of meat. Instead of going for a specific time, we eat when they are done and figure out when to start the sides when I know when the ribs will be done.

Actually this is how we do it for most of our longer cooks work out. The cook times I read and hear are just ball park guesses.

I was looking at one of the mail order butchers, their BB racks were 1.5 lbs, the ones I buy are 3 lbs, I can't imagine they would both cook in the same amount of time.

Cook to temp, not time. I always hated the 3-2-1. Besides from making your ribs mush, it makes bbq seem like a cake recipe.

All meat is different, from different animals, different fat structure, etc. I have always appreciated the BBQ guys who teach guy to cook based on temp and feel. Malcom and Matt Pittman are great at this; "When the rub on the rib doesn't come off on your finger when you touch it, and it has some nice color and bark, thats when we wrap it" vs "3 hours" and "check your ribs after 1 hours and see if there is pull back and some bone showing" vs "2 hours".

I wish the 3-2-1 would go away forever.

I have done ribs several times and they have all been great, that being said all ribs are not the same.
For St Louis style, I go 3-2 and maybe 20-30 minutes, I have gone 3-2-none
For the smaller BB ribs, 2-2-20 to 30 minutes
We do like fall of the bone, but not over cooked.

The thing I love about these pellet grills is even if it isnt perfect, it is still good and far better than you get at most restaurants!

I am going to do my next ribs naked, straight through and compare!

I recently tried the 3-2-40min with the first 3 hours on LO to get more smoke flavor. Then 225° for the 2 hours wrapped. I unwrap and put back on for about 20 minutes to firm them up a little and then brush the bbq sauce on for the last 20 or so minutes. Of course, this is a guide and should be adjusted depending upon how they are cooking, but this method gave me the best results so far. I am going to try it a second time and see if I can repeat the results.

I have tried the 3-2-1 and fall of the bone is not how I like them. The 3-1-1 is better but now that I'm reading this may try to shorten the time some more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back