RHEINLEIN

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Stampede
  3. Patio Legend 410
  4. RT-300
It’s been a long time, slow cooked with sauce.
Looking for recommendations please ?

It’s been a long time, slow cooked with sauce.
Looking for recommendations please ?
Did these last weekend. 225 the whole way on the 380x. Took about 5 hours to probe tender. They were around 202. These were boneless, and huge around 7 lbs. usually don’t find them this big around me. Used MC hot honey rib rub and another rib rub. I didn’t sauce these this time but have used Korean BBQ sauce before.

IMG_9472.jpeg

IMG_9473.jpeg

IMG_9474.jpeg

it has been a while but dry rub with Kosher Salt, Pepper (coarse grind), Onion Powder (coarse grind), cayenne (to level of heat) and garlic powder for 24 hours. Remove from fridge 2-3 hours before it goes on the smoker. Put the smoker in low temp, max smoke mode, and let the meat absorb the smoke for at least 45 minutes. Crank up the heat to 225-235F and let it ride until the internal temps hit 170F. Wrap in butcher paper or aluminum foil and add a little honey, brown sugar, butter, cayenne and apple juice. Let it ride until probe tender. Fire up the sear burner and put a nice layer of char on both sides and wala!!! Good old southern eating.

Country style pork ribs are one of my favorites. Reason because they taste great, doesn’t take all night and all day to cook, and you really can’t mess them up. I rub with yellow mustard and a standard pork rub, let them marinate at least 4 hours or overnight. I start at 225 for 1 hour, then crank up to 275-300 for next ~ 2 hours or when done. I normally turn them every 30 minutes or so. I put Jack Millers or Pig Stand the last hour.
They come out perfect all the time.
You can also do a Spatchcock chicken during the same cook (same time and temps). Do it all the time.

Jasonbr1975, do you get a light smoke flavor with that method? I've never done temperatures of 275 but my wife's not a fan of a heavy bark. I'm wondering if I couldn't prepare some country ribs for her this way and still enjoy them myself.

Jasonbr1975, do you get a light smoke flavor with that method? I've never done temperatures of 275 but my wife's not a fan of a heavy bark. I'm wondering if I couldn't prepare some country ribs for her this way and still enjoy them myself.
I’m finding 275 to be a pretty sweet temp to low and slow, but not too slow, with. I used to do all L&S at 225, but recently I’ve started using 275 with great results. Smoke flavor is comparable to 225, but since it cooks faster it is less intense.

Yes, light smoke. Not a heavy bark but they get kind of dark. I just do this way because it’s a little faster that’s all. If you want a little more smoke and less bark, just keep the temp at 225 or less and run it 3.5-4 hours. Just make some test runs till you get what you or your wife likes. Like I said, they are hard to mess up. FYI, I do trim some of the fat off prior to applying the rub.

Any thoughts on country ribs cooked L&S for pulled pork?

Last try at 225F yielded pretty dry PP. Good smoke due to more Exterior exposed to smoke vs pork butt.

I purchased a package of Costco Country ribs. Five pretty big "ribs".

I decided to cook them on my second shelf ( not recteq's) as my logic was the RT590 temp probe is about the same height as the second shelf and the radiant heat from the fire pot (grease pan etc.) would skew the actual cooking temp.

I had just received my jazzy new Combustion boost thermometer and used it in one rib and my thermopro wired probe in another rib with a second thermopro wired probe about 1.5" below the ribs on the second shelf. As I wanted to see the reported temps inside and outside the meat.

Started the cook at "Low", which appears to be ~180F on the RT thermometer, for 1 hr with two smoke tubes (one on either end of the main grill. Then after an hour raised temp to 225F on RT.

Combustion observation. The "Ambient" detector needs to be away from the meat surface (don't know how far) since it was always reading far below everything else except the surface. Otherwise internal temp was pretty dead on temp measured by TP wired pro and Lavatools Javelin instant read. I got good Bluetooth connection to 100ft. (that's as far from the RT that I ventured). Combustion app, while fairly basic, provided all the info I really needed.

I am still unsure about the heat/smoke circulation within the RT590 cooking chamber and pretty sure Recteq doesn't have a handle on it either; therefore, not sure exactly what is happening at the second shelf (~3.5"-4" above main grate). What I did see was the thermometer 1"-2" below the meat was markedly lower than the RT 590 reading. This of course could be due to the air around the meat being cooler or the air circulation is from the top down.

Bottom line is that at about 5hrs the internal temps were in the 150's and I took each rib off and wrapped it in butcher paper and returned to RT now set at 245F. Temp increase measured by both Combustion and Javelin was really slow. Patience was running out as well as the ability to eat before midnight, so I pulled the wrapped ribs off and put them in my oven at 245 where they pretty rapidly came up to 195F where I removed them (they rose to 205F in a few minutes) and let them set for about 1 hr in an insulated cooler (five ribs in paper in a casserole dish covered in foil in the cooler filled with towels etc.)

They pulled easily and there was a great bark to volume result.

A very busy cook but the results were excellent. No photos, we were way too hungry.

Apologies for long post.

Combustion observation. The "Ambient" detector needs to be away from the meat surface (don't know how far) since it was always reading far below everything else except the surface.
It is my understanding that the ambient temperature reading is going to be lower than the grill’s ambient reading due to the proximity to the protein’s water evaporation influence. I have noticed the same thing with my CI probes.

It is my understanding that the ambient temperature reading is going to be lower than the grill’s ambient reading due to the proximity to the protein’s water evaporation influence. I have noticed the same thing with my CI probes.
Thanks Jim. I expected that but I think the Ambient thermistor needs to be farther from the meat than I had it. I went into the "rib" longwise which put the yellow "cap" right against the meat. Poor planning on my part.

Thanks Jim. I expected that but I think the Ambient thermistor needs to be farther from the meat than I had it. I went into the "rib" longwise which put the yellow "cap" right against the meat. Poor planning on my part.
Yeah, I try to insert just past the minimum insertion mark on the probe. That leaves the top thermistor exposed. Still, I think you’ll find that the CI ambient temp will read lower than the grill thermistor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew550
Back