Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
This is probably not going into the forum it should be going into, but if you are not following Matt Pittman/Meat Church on YouTube, you are seriously missing out on some great YT content. Forget for the moment that he mostly cooks on a Mill-Scale offset or a Traeger, he’s truly a master of outdoor cooking. Great presentation, interesting side discussion of cocktails. The rubs are great also. Highly recommend.

Last edited:
Oh, and I’m a huge fan of the W ‘what’s this here sauce‘, which I learned about following Matt. I’ll never go back to the ‘original’ W sauce. Not endorsed or sponsored.

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of him and his recipes! I watch a lot more of him than I do the RecTeq folks but doesn't mean for a second I could even consider getting a traeger.

Big fan of a lot of his rubs and such also. Their chicken breading for fried chicken is spot on!

tell me more about the W sauce?
Hard to describe, a thicker sauce than traditional Worcestershire sauces like L&P, but the flavor makes it special-a wonderful take on Worcestershire sauce. Watch Matt’s video, or if you follow Heath Riles on YouTube he dropped a video earlier today for a prime rib where he talks about it. it’s a great flavor spin on a classic. If you are not already a Worcestershire sauce fan, don’t know if this will convince you otherwise. But me, I like it a lot.

Last edited:
This is probably not going into the forum it should be going into, but if you are not following Matt Pittman/Meat Church on YouTube, you are seriously missing out on some great YT content. Forget for the moment that he mostly cooks on a Mill-Scale offset or a Traeger, he’s truly a master of outdoor cooking. Great presentation, interesting side discussion of cocktails. The rubs are great also. Highly recommend.

Oh, bye the bye Boys.......

I tripped across something I thought was kind of neat the other day.

I usually (hickory) cold smoke racks of ribs naked before putting anything on them. I then apply French's and my rub of choice.

Well, I forgot to peel the membrane before cold smoking them. Sooo....I get the rack out of the grill and take it into the kitchen for the "Rubdown". I flipped the rack over and saw that yes, I had forgotten to peel the membrane. I went ahead and peeled it and it was about 3 times easier to get it off than if I had tried it "the usual way".

Dunno if it's of interest to anyone, but I'll probably be doing ribs that way in the future.

Interesting. Membrane peeling is so fickle. Sometimes it comes off with no effort, other times I’ve actually given up and scored it with a knife. Or, as another tip, cook the ribs at a higher temp (300° or more). That’s what BBQ joints do to save cook time, but it also makes the membrane more editable to the point that many folks prefer those ribs to ones that have the membrane removed.

Interesting. Membrane peeling is so fickle. Sometimes it comes off with no effort, other times I’ve actually given up and scored it with a knife. Or, as another tip, cook the ribs at a higher temp (300° or more). That’s what BBQ joints do to save cook time, but it also makes the membrane more editable to the point that many folks prefer those ribs to ones that have the membrane removed.
Another point of reference is that during the cold smoke, the internal barrel temperature got up to 90 degrees F.

So......yeah, I'd have to say that it cooked a little and that's why the membrane was easier to remove.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back