Bull Placement of multiple briskets

FOMCK

Would love any recommendations for placement of multiple briskets on the Bull.

I typically smoke for packer briskets placed parallel with the links of the grill with a water pan. i’m not absolutely committed to the water pan, but it seems to produce decent results… I also have the second shelf for it but the briskets don’t have enough clearance on top of that shelf so I may place the water pan on top of that.

My main question is should I continue to place them parallel on the smoker or is perpendicular from front to back OK with regards to airflow, etc.

thanks!

I think it's all up to you. I've found personally with MY 700, that just right of middle is my hottest spot. But haven't had a problem with cooks. I feel as long as you monitor that internal temp you're good to go. My personal experience with a pan are the same as yours (good)...however, since switching to RecTec, I haven't found the need for one after inspecting the finished product. (No matter how badly I feel it should be there)...not sure if this helps you ..so goodluck post pics ! Remember nothing says you can't rotate them if needed as you go.

Also, when I’ve only done one brisket I’ll put a probe in the point area as well as the flat side… If I only have one area to probe for temperature because I’m doing more than one brisket… Where do you recommend putting probe?

Others may have different answers but I've been told to put it in the thick part of the flat, above the point, and from the side in. Cook to a temp before your chosen "done" temp and keep checking until it's what you want. Its only perfect to where you like it. Not if the alarm says ok I'm at 195!°. Did that make sense?
There's some very knowledgeable people here, hopefully they chime in too.

I'm somewhere in the same ballpark as Buckeye but might present it differently. It will depend on what you plan to do with the point meat. Some will slice it right along with the flat, others will separate it and make burnt ends or some will separate and do other things with the point meat (process for chili, reheat which imparts additional cook dynamics, etc.). Frequently folks will complain that the thin end of the flat ends up dry or some other form of unsatisfactory. So, plan ahead and determine how you plan to serve/eat it. If you've got a larger group you're feeding then shoot for "ideal" temp/texture at the center just under where the point and flat come together. You'll likely have some folks in the group who prefer "well done" and, quite frankly, don't appreciate rare to medium qualities, and some who prefer more to the rare end of the spectrum and can live with the slightly more "firm" texture of not fully relaxed collagens. If you're doing it for just yourself and a smaller group then favor the doneness you prefer in the flat and save the point for re-processing/preparing later where it will have some room to tolerate reheating/cooking. Alternately, some folks separate the point and flat pre-cook and then probe separately throughout the cooking process for ideal outcome.

I have to admit, I've only done a few, the old school way on charcoal and wood. I was never really got good at it and was never satisfied with the results I was able to get. So I simply avoided brisket and did tri-tip instead. I spent a lot of time developing my tri-tip process to get a medium rare finish with enough smoke to get a smoke ring. It has been so good, I haven't tried to do brisket in years. But with the new Bull, I'm about ready to give it another shot. So, I too, am looking for other's expertise in brisket, particularly with pellet grills.
Thanks Chuck

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back