Rib Placement

craigp

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Hi everyone, new member here. I have been grilling with a 22” Traeger for over five years. I have all of my recipes nailed down, especially ribs.

I recently purchased an RT-1250, and quickly found that almost all my cooking times need to be extended, since it is a larger grill. Ribs now take me 1-1/2 hours longer.

That said, I had to place my ribs vertically on my Traeger, due to it’s size. However, they will fit horizontally on my Rectec. Seeking opinions on the best placement - vertical or horizontal?

Thanks.

Hi everyone, new member here. I have been grilling with a 22” Traeger for over five years. I have all of my recipes nailed down, especially ribs.

I recently purchased an RT-1250, and quickly found that almost all my cooking times need to be extended, since it is a larger grill. Ribs now take me 1-1/2 hours longer.

That said, I had to place my ribs vertically on my Traeger, due to it’s size. However, they will fit horizontally on my Rectec. Seeking opinions on the best placement - vertical or horizontal?

Thanks.
I'm not sure what the grill size has to do with cooking time?
If you said that you're using more fuel, that would make sense.

Thanks.
May want to check your temps with a probe on the grill grate surface. Once I figured out that I needed an offset of around -6 to -7 on lowSlow cooks (Bull 700), I found that my cook times were more in line with recipes/recs on blogs and videos.

I think you get a more even cook and better smoke when the ribs are laid flat. YMMV
I should have been more specific. I do lay my ribs flat. I‘m referring to the direction in which I place each rack of ribs on the grill grate. In other words, cross ways or up and down.

I've done it both ways on my Bull, I have seen no difference in cook times whether it is loaded with 9-10 racks or just 3-4 racks. Have you calibrated your probes? Adjusted feed rates? Many questions need to be answered.

I'm not sure what the grill size has to do with cooking time?
If you said that you're using more fuel, that would make sense.
According to Recteq customer service, the RT-1250 drum is larger than my 22” Traeger Eastwood. The fire pot is further away from the grill grate, so it will cook slower at the same temperature. They suggested I bump up the temperatures on my cooks. I’ve heard from a couple of other folks in a BBQ group that I’m a member of, and they have had the same issue after upgrading to a larger pellet smoker. It’s been very frustrating for me.

I've done it both ways on my Bull, I have seen no difference in cook times whether it is loaded with 9-10 racks or just 3-4 racks. Have you calibrated your probes? Adjusted feed rates? Many questions need to be answered.
Ok thanks.

Probes have been calibrated but no adjustment made to the feed rate.

According to Recteq customer service, the RT-1250 drum is larger than my 22” Traeger Eastwood. The fire pot is further away from the grill grate, so it will cook slower at the same temperature. They suggested I bump up the temperatures on my cooks. I’ve heard from a couple of other folks in a BBQ group that I’m a member of, and they have had the same issue after upgrading to a larger pellet smoker. It’s been very frustrating for me.
Interesting, thanks for the response.

In my pea brain, 450 is 450 regardless of space. Then again, space is the final frontier.

Lay them flat with the thicker side towards the smoke stack.

Attachments

• E5C85970-00C0-41FB-8ECC-2F151CDE8794.jpeg
    E5C85970-00C0-41FB-8ECC-2F151CDE8794.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 2B121FCA-DC4C-498B-A687-BD4F40039F38.jpeg
    2B121FCA-DC4C-498B-A687-BD4F40039F38.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 74

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back