Pellets Wood vs Meat Type

BigDog

Hello, does anyone have a chart for the wood type of pellet vs the type of protein? I am thinking Oak Pellets are best for Beef or Hickory is best for Pork. Also has anyone made combinations of wood that work best IE cherry and apple combo for Turkey of Chicken and would you use say 75% cherry pellets and 25% apple. Since I am new to the pellet cooking I thought there might be some resource for all of this.

Thanks

It's right on the pellet bag. Or go to their website bearmountainbbq

1672419529275.png

When it comes to burning "REAL" Wood in and Offset, there is a big difference in Smoke "Flavor" from different Woods
But not so much with Pellets
Given my limited experience, I have found that with some different Pellet Brands there isn't much of a discernable Flavor from one "Wood" to another
But then again, there are some Brands that you can (slightly) make out a difference in Flavor with certain Woods

Yep I agree. I struggle to tell much difference. My go-to is a 50/50 mix of Lumberjack Hickory and Cherry bags. If I run out, I grab whatever else is in my buckets.

Honestly I switched around with different flavors of pellets and eventually just landed on BM Gourmet blend. It’s a decent all around blend and hasn’t let me down plus I don’t have to clean the hopper out and swap pellets all the time. Like others have expertly noted with pellets it’s hard to really get a different flavor profile between wood types. I can’t say I ever really noticed a true difference when I was experimenting with different flavors.

I experimented quite a bit at first, but also have settled in on oak, hickory, cherry blends (no filler woods) for most things.

I will say that if I want a more pronounced flavor, I will sometimes use a smoke tube with an explicit hardwood such as post oak, hickory, mesquite, or peach, but I'm really just screwing around most of the time I do that.

I will say that I make a roasted salsa that I used to do on mesquite and I did it just with pellets one time before realizing it really did need the mesquite.
IMG_0734.jpeg

I have not tried the Bear Mountain thanks SmokeOCD for the chart that helps. Looks like there is not much difference in pellet species but I know that is not the case with wood chunks or stick. Thanks Everyone.

I personally can’t tell much details difference by wood type. It seems maybe different brands may add more smoke than others.
Same, I can’t tell any difference other then sometimes the pellet colors differ, taste not at all. I can tell a taste difference between an offset vs charcoal vs pellet.

Here's one (of many) conversations regarding different pellets

I agree it can be difficult to distinguish between some brands. In my opinion it is because the lower-mid tier pellets are typically blended if you look at their actual list of ingredients. Further, they don’t disclose the percentages of their mixtures in my experiences. To counter this, I spend a little more money, get pure, single, individual flavors, and mix my own. It costs a little more but is much more satisfying when I know the actual percentages. An example of this is when I do large beef portions (brisket, rounds, standing rib roasts) I will run 25% mesquite, 50% oak, and 25% pecan. I am developing a cheat sheet for everything I cook based on protein/food type and temperature range and times for the cook.

@SmokeZilla what brand of pellets have 100% Pecan? I can’t find them anywhere.

@SmokeZilla thanks, I haven’t seen B&B pellets near me but I will look closer. Plenty of charcoal but haven’t seen their pellets locally.

@Jim6820 those aren’t 100% Pecan. Their website says they have red and white oak for consistent heat.

@Jim6820 those aren’t 100% Pecan. Their website says they have red and white oak for consistent heat.
I wondered about that. The statement “No fillers, binders or additives” kinda misleads folks into thinking they are 100% Pecan.

Lumber Jack used to have a couple flavors that were 100%, couldn’t find any when I looked a few weeks go.

we have a regional hardware chain that carrys B&B once in a while. Just have to wait for what they consider grilling season, slim pickens this I’ve of year. Up until a few years ago you almost had to buy the winters worth of charcoal in early fall, pellets were even harder to find.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back