Pellets wont stay lit in smoker tube?

Do you get the same amount of time out of your smoke tube adding some chips in the mix?
I have actually found that taking solid chunks of hickory or other flavor woods, knocking them down with a hatchet to chunks bigger than the bagged "chips" (like 1/2" thick chunks) and filling the tube with pellets along the way gives me a very predictable and long added smoke.

You do need to blast the hell out of the tube with a propane torch for reliable and consistent ignition. I do find the heat gun method discussed very interesting, but I already have a Bernzomatic Fat Boy. I heat that tube up to an almost orange red and let it burn for 10+ minutes while I'm prepping the rest of my cook.

I have actually found that taking solid chunks of hickory or other flavor woods, knocking them down with a hatchet to chunks bigger than the bagged "chips" (like 1/2" thick chunks) and filling the tube with pellets along the way gives me a very predictable and long added smoke.

You do need to blast the hell out of the tube with a propane torch for reliable and consistent ignition. I do find the heat gun method discussed very interesting, but I already have a Bernzomatic Fat Boy. I heat that tube up to an almost orange red and let it burn for 10+ minutes while I'm prepping the rest of my cook.
I’ve found that a torch is the way to go. U can’t get a good ember with a heat gun or stick lighter, plus it takes forever. So you alternate the tube with chunks and pellets?

I have always used The Ultimate blend pellets and sometimes the Premium blend. I use my stainless smoking tube and fill with pellets to add a little extra smoke. My pellets aren't staying lit in the tube?
This happened last year and I though it was the batch of pellets - now I've tried with multiple bags of ultimate blend - still wont stay lit?
Any thoughts? new formulation? What else can I put in the tube for extra smoke? Thanks!
I'm sure you have checked the pellets to be sure they are dry and haven't been in any humidity. I find that I have to tap my tube on the table as I fill it to compact them together.

Then I use my propane torch and hold it on the end and sides of the tube to get it it lit good. Then I stand my tube up and just let the pellets stay on fire for 2-3 minutes or more before blowing it out.

Once I'm confident that enough pellets are smoldering, I lay it down on the grates. You also can use un-soaked wood chips using the same lighting instructions.

Hope this helps...

i have found a very fast and effective way to light my tube. just have to stay close to the grill. works every time!
DD98A7A4-5D20-4E44-8104-A6B67E1A6B79.jpeg
CB3C44D1-80EB-463E-82D7-7607A961DD90.jpeg

i have found a very fast and effective way to light my tube. just have to stay close to the grill. works every time!
Do you leave the tube in the bottom of the barrel? If so, do you get a lot of extra smoke flavor?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back