Pellets…my observations…

I too have been mixing in the Royal Oak charcoal pellets in the hopper, think I'm gonna continue to do so. Still not a single issue with ignition or burnback since going back to Pitboss pellets over the Lumberjack pellets......and less ash. ;)

I have the PitBoss CopperHead 7 pellet smoker. I've used nothing but 20lb bags of Lumber Jack purchased from my local Fareway grocery store for $6 to $9 a bag. I've had no issues with the pellets. The PB on the other hand I've replaced the controller and thermostat now the hotrod and fuse.

I reached out to Chris Scott in the past when researching my first pellet grill purchase. He has amassed quite an impressive database of pellets and also has a nice article about how to choose pellets (for max heat output in addition to which wood flavors are better suited to different fish/meats/vegetables).

I too have been mixing in the Royal Oak charcoal pellets in the hopper, think I'm gonna continue to do so. Still not a single issue with ignition or burnback since going back to Pitboss pellets over the Lumberjack pellets......and less ash. ;)l

I reached out to Chris Scott in the past when researching my first pellet grill purchase. He has amassed quite an impressive database of pellets and also has a nice article about how to choose pellets (for max heat output in addition to which wood flavors are better suited to different fish/meats/vegetables).
I have watched that video several times in the past very interesting results. I have settled in using about a 50/50 mix of Lumberjack pellets and Royal Oak charcoal pellets i think it has a closer flavor to the Weber Smokey Mountain I used for years.

20230124_171847.jpg

Its possible I got a bad bag of LJ pellets or something, and I have 2 more bags left unused.......perhaps I'll mix them with PB pellets?

I have settled in using about a 50/50 mix of Lumberjack pellets and Royal Oak charcoal pellets i think it has a closer flavor to the Weber Smokey Mountain I used for years.
I started using the Royal Oak charcoal pellets with wood chip in my smoke tube, what a huge difference in the smoke profile I am getting. The Tractor Supply store by us started carrying them recently.

I have watched that video several times in the past very interesting results. I have settled in using about a 50/50 mix of Lumberjack pellets and Royal Oak charcoal pellets i think it has a closer flavor to the Weber Smokey Mountain I used for years.

View attachment 19703
Just so happens Royal Oak charcoal pellets are $4 off per bag at the moment so I'm going to pickup a few and try a mix of them in with wood pellets. Thanks for the info!

Just so happens Royal Oak charcoal pellets are $4 off per bag at the moment so I'm going to pickup a few and try a mix of them in with wood pellets. Thanks for the info!
It would be great to get another perspective on this blend. Please share your results.

Thanks

I just finished another 40# bag of Recteq Ultimate pellets and am now moving to a 20# bag of Bear Mountain Hickory. Prior to the Ultimates, I pretty much used Royal Oak Hickory exclusively. Yeah; there’s a Hickory bias here, but I’m trying other woods as I get the chance.

By far, my favorite has been the Royal Oak Hickory; it just suits my taste—and, probably further reveals my Hickory bias. I will be interested in how the Bear Mountain compares. And, I have a bag of Lumberjack (wait for it!) Hickory in the wings to try next. If all else fails, I do have a couple of bags of Royal Oak Hickory in the storage shed. ;)

Quite honestly, I was underwhelmed by the RT Ultimates; they didn’t seem to provide as much smoke flavor as I like and the wide variation of pellet length (up to 2”) resulted in a couple of minor auger jams. I still have several 40# bags of them left from the “bundle” deal I got with my last RT purchase. They are not bad, per se, but it may take a while for me to use them up. Hopefully, being in sealed bags, they will hold well enough until I get around to using them.

Finally, my personal choice is to not shop for pellets by price. Life is too short to not use what you like just because it costs a little more. For me, the cost of pellets is a minor factor when you consider the cost of protein, spices/rubs/sauces, cooking tools, etc. YMMV
Not sure when I had read it (a long time ago) but I’ve always stacked my bags of pellets on a steel wire rack versus stacking them on the garage floor. I’ve never had issues with compromised pellets. But whoever gave that sage advice did have issues. So…just sharing that. (No assumption that you or anyone stacks theirs on a concrete floor. Just sharing advice.)

Not sure when I had read it (a long time ago) but I’ve always stacked my bags of pellets on a steel wire rack versus stacking them on the garage floor. I’ve never had issues with compromised pellets. But whoever gave that sage advice did have issues. So…just sharing that. (No assumption that you or anyone stacks theirs on a concrete floor. Just sharing advice.)
Good point about not stacking pellet bags directly on a concrete floor. Mine are stacked on a home-built wood platform with 2-1/2” of air space below. Have not had problems doing it this way.

Yep, just like you never store a (car) battery directly on a concrete floor. Put it on top of a chunk of wood, or preferably, a chunk of rubber mat.

Concrete always retains moisture and that moisture will wick through the plastic bags and into the pellets.

Putting bags of pellets on a wood platform or a pallet is the best way to store them. Wire racks work fine too.

Bear Mountain has been far and away the best for me in terms of flavor, consistent temps. All my best cooks seem to have been with BM, and I've used lumberjack, pit boss, traeger, cookin pellets. Of course, it could just be that the meat quality was better on those cooks; I have been less than scientific about my cook logs, to my detriment.

Haven't seen Bear Mountain in my parts anywhere, would like to try them.
I know that Lowe’s carries BM, but I haven’t paid enough attention to know if they carry them year-round. I took advantage of a great BOGO sale earlier this year that included free shipping and made out like a bandit. I won’t run out for a good while. BM and LJ have been my favorite brands since I got my Bull 2 years ago. The fine folks on this forum are good about calling out sales when they pop up.

Our local Lowe's carries BM pellets year round and runs sales on them on occasion.
And I just picked up two bags of Pit Boss Post Oak from Walmart to try.

Also have Ace Hardware and Tractor Supply nearby as pellet sources.

I too buy them direct, during their sales that often include free shipping. I try to keep my advertising email to a minimum, but I am signed up for Bear Mountain promotions.
That's what I am going to do for BM too.

Have you tried using the “Find a store” function on the Bear Mountain website?

Good idea, thanks. May even get from the source, do want to give these a try. Seriously loving my PB and Royal Oak charcoal mix, the flavor and overall stable temps and smoke has been consistent.

Good idea, thanks. May even get from the source, do want to give these a try. Seriously loving my PB and Royal Oak charcoal mix, the flavor and overall stable temps and smoke has been consistent.
I guess I need to try the Royal Oak Charcoal pellets. Have never given them much consideration.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back