Pellets…my observations…

TheRicker

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I’ve been on a fairly non-scientific “study” of various brands of pellets for my RT-700. Clearly some pellets appear to be of physically higher quality than others. Some provide better or more pronounced smoke than others.

The RecTeq pellets appear high grade as did the pellets from CookinPellets.com. The Traeger pellets from Costco appear physically good too. The Kirkland brand not so much. And there’s like 4 or 5 different flavors in that blend and I didn’t feel like I had any pronounced smoke flavor…very neutral. Pit Boss pellets were very light colored and somewhat fragile to pinching between my thumb and forefinger. But, I thoroughly enjoyed the tri-tip and pork butt I did last weekend. The Traeger pellets I used were their Signature Blend that comes in the ziplock bag. Previous Traeger pellets were single flavors that didn’t appear as physically firm as the signature blend or other quality pellets that seem to be firm…which I equated to higher quality…right or wrong. I had good smoke from those…even when I mixed hickory, apple, and oak (different brand oak) the smoke was very nice. But I digress.

I was bored last Monday and did a lot of YouTube surfing for all things RecTeq and good-grade pellets. I came across this video that I found most interesting. Two apparently well-respected BBQers did a blind taste of pellets. The Yoder guy (can’t remember his name) seemed to really dislike Traeger pellets. Assuming his info is correct, they use flavor oils in making their pellets. I don’t know. They knew the names/brands of pellets being used and talked ahead of the cooks about what they thought of the quality of each. Traeger and Pit Boss were their perceived least favorites…for the quality and the smoke of those pellets. As you’ll see in this video, the blind taste testing of the cooked briskets had Traeger and Pit Boss as the winners as determined by their panel of taste testers. And these guys used some fairly pricey pellets too (Knotty Wood pellets…almond wood or plum wood).
Here’s the video:

So, no surprise, it all boils down to what you discover to be good performing pellets that produce food you enjoy. And from the many pellet discussions I’ve read on this forum, many of you have your favorite pellets and are sticking with them. Nothing wrong with that. It’d be a boring world if we all only liked the same things.

From other things I read and from personal experiences, some pellets will have more dust than others. I think the more a bag is handled from production to stores and then to your home, the more dust you’re likely to have. I’ve found Pit Boss pellets that I can get for $8.99-$9.99 for a 20lb bag at the local Food Lion grocery store a deal hard to pass. And I liked the smoke I got from it. Same for the deal for Kirkland 40-lb bag of pellets for $13.49…except I wasn’t a fan of the smoke.

So I’m finishing up my “research” with the 40-lb bag of CookinPellets over the next week or two. I encourage everyone, especially if you’re somewhat new to pellet cooking, to try the different brands and flavors and find the pellets that produce the best food for you and your family…as well as fits your budget.

Greetings all
I have had my RT 1250 and RT340 for a little over a year. Until recently I’ve used Recteq and Kirkland pellets only. I have been underwhelmed with the flavor of Kirkland pellets but they are a good price compared to recteq. I’ve started my pellet journey lately with my unscientific study as well. Over 3 days this week I started with the same spatchcocked chickens, with the same seasoning etc. everything was the same except the pellets. I used Kirkland, pit boss cherry and royal oak charcoal pellets. I found better results lately using the top shelf of the 1250. Starting out at 220 for one hour and 360 until the coolest part of the breast read 155. Pulled off and 15 minute rest.
To be honest they all tasted great. Since they were all cooked day after day I could not compare all at once which in hindsight would have been much better to determine the differences. There were subtle taste differences but I bet in a blind test I could not tell you what was what and which tasted better but I thought I leaned towards the cherry. I also have hickory pellets but I won’t use them with chicken. Prior to doing this. I vacuumed out the pellets in the hopper. . I noticed some pellets were discolored and must have gotten exposed to moisture. So I discarded them and made note not to leave a full hopper anymore. The pic shows the same Kirkland pellets. The left pellets were in the hopper and the right came out of the bag. Anyway. My next thing will be to blend these to see if any magic happens with a blend.
Just my .02. Pete

E33C2A9F-835D-4EB0-A855-8A64A20ABC2C.jpeg

I just finished another 40# bag of Recteq Ultimate pellets and am now moving to a 20# bag of Bear Mountain Hickory. Prior to the Ultimates, I pretty much used Royal Oak Hickory exclusively. Yeah; there’s a Hickory bias here, but I’m trying other woods as I get the chance.

By far, my favorite has been the Royal Oak Hickory; it just suits my taste—and, probably further reveals my Hickory bias. I will be interested in how the Bear Mountain compares. And, I have a bag of Lumberjack (wait for it!) Hickory in the wings to try next. If all else fails, I do have a couple of bags of Royal Oak Hickory in the storage shed. ;)

Quite honestly, I was underwhelmed by the RT Ultimates; they didn’t seem to provide as much smoke flavor as I like and the wide variation of pellet length (up to 2”) resulted in a couple of minor auger jams. I still have several 40# bags of them left from the “bundle” deal I got with my last RT purchase. They are not bad, per se, but it may take a while for me to use them up. Hopefully, being in sealed bags, they will hold well enough until I get around to using them.

Finally, my personal choice is to not shop for pellets by price. Life is too short to not use what you like just because it costs a little more. For me, the cost of pellets is a minor factor when you consider the cost of protein, spices/rubs/sauces, cooking tools, etc. YMMV

Greetings all
I have had my RT 1250 and RT340 for a little over a year. Until recently I’ve used Recteq and Kirkland pellets only. I have been underwhelmed with the flavor of Kirkland pellets but they are a good price compared to recteq. I’ve started my pellet journey lately with my unscientific study as well. Over 3 days this week I started with the same spatchcocked chickens, with the same seasoning etc. everything was the same except the pellets. I used Kirkland, pit boss cherry and royal oak charcoal pellets. I found better results lately using the top shelf of the 1250. Starting out at 220 for one hour and 360 until the coolest part of the breast read 155. Pulled off and 15 minute rest.
To be honest they all tasted great. Since they were all cooked day after day I could not compare all at once which in hindsight would have been much better to determine the differences. There were subtle taste differences but I bet in a blind test I could not tell you what was what and which tasted better but I thought I leaned towards the cherry. I also have hickory pellets but I won’t use them with chicken. Prior to doing this. I vacuumed out the pellets in the hopper. . I noticed some pellets were discolored and must have gotten exposed to moisture. So I discarded them and made note not to leave a full hopper anymore. The pic shows the same Kirkland pellets. The left pellets were in the hopper and the right came out of the bag. Anyway. My next thing will be to blend these to see if any magic happens with a blend.
Just my .02. Pete

View attachment 19631
Great info. Thanks.

I just finished another 40# bag of Recteq Ultimate pellets and am now moving to a 20# bag of Bear Mountain Hickory. Prior to the Ultimates, I pretty much used Royal Oak Hickory exclusively. Yeah; there’s a Hickory bias here, but I’m trying other woods as I get the chance.

By far, my favorite has been the Royal Oak Hickory; it just suits my taste—and, probably further reveals my Hickory bias. I will be interested in how the Bear Mountain compares. And, I have a bag of Lumberjack (wait for it!) Hickory in the wings to try next. If all else fails, I do have a couple of bags of Royal Oak Hickory in the storage shed. ;)

Quite honestly, I was underwhelmed by the RT Ultimates; they didn’t seem to provide as much smoke flavor as I like and the wide variation of pellet length (up to 2”) resulted in a couple of minor auger jams. I still have several 40# bags of them left from the “bundle” deal I got with my last RT purchase. They are not bad, per se, but it may take a while for me to use them up. Hopefully, being in sealed bags, they will hold well enough until I get around to using them.

Finally, my personal choice is to not shop for pellets by price. Life is too short to not use what you like just because it costs a little more. For me, the cost of pellets is a minor factor when you consider the cost of protein, spices/rubs/sauces, cooking tools, etc. YMMV
Thanks for that info. That’s two more brands I haven’t tried yet. 🤭

Agree with your assessment of the RecTeq pellets. But that’s been my general impression of the oak or oak prominent pellets I’ve used before. Those have 2 of 3 flavors as oak.

When I’ve done my own blend of single flavor pellets, my favorite is 50% hickory, 30% apple, and 20% cherry or oak (usually cherry).

I haven’t done a mesquite pellet in years and I’m interested in trying it now that I’m smoking brisket and Chuck roast more.

By far, my favorite has been the Royal Oak Hickory; it just suits my taste—and, probably further reveals my Hickory bias. I will be interested in how the Bear Mountain compares. And, I have a bag of Lumberjack (wait for it!) Hickory in the wings to try next. If all else fails, I do have a couple of bags of Royal Oak Hickory in the storage shed.
Since last year, I’ve moved to Bear Mountain Pecan for pork and poultry and BM Hickory for beef and lamb. I like the LJ products also, but I switched when Rural King switched suppliers. Both the BM and LJ hickory pellets are 100% hardwood but not 100% hickory. I’ve never used RO pellets, do I don’t know how their hickory compares.

On pellet pricing, I’m frugal also but I am willing to pay a premium for a clean burning, long burning pellet. Bear MountIn checks all those boxes for me… for now.

I have yet to find a pellet that gives the smoke flavor I want. I still do the beginning cook on my stick smoker and then move over to the pellet grill to finish if I'm looking for the smoke flavor I want. I just found a bag of post oak at my local HEB and I'm going to give that a try. My go to is the 100% hickory pellets from Lumbar Jack but it seems every time I make it to the store that carries them it is out of stock. I used to buy Bear Mountain when they would run their BOGO deals but now all I see is BOGO @50% and then they are charging shipping now. Still ends up cheaper to buy local than mail order now.

Since last year, I’ve moved to Bear Mountain Pecan for pork and poultry and BM Hickory for beef and lamb. I like the LJ products also, but I switched when Rural King switched suppliers. Both the BM and LJ hickory pellets are 100% hardwood but not 100% hickory. I’ve never used RO pellets, do I don’t know how their hickory compares.

On pellet pricing, I’m frugal also but I am willing to pay a premium for a clean burning, long burning pellet. Bear MountIn checks all those boxes for me… for now.
ICYMI, Rural King started carrying LJ pellets again. They had pallets full of them last time I stopped in.

Surprised no one has included Lumberjack pellets.....

I won't buy them again, I kept having burnback issues into my auger with those........yes I know for a fact it's those pellets, never happened before I used them nor after but they do have pleasant smoke flavor. I am a Pitboss pellet guy, and pretty sure they make the Kirkland pellets as well? The PB pellets burn so clean and the ash is like talcum powder, however the LJ pellets "unless I got a bad batch or something" are the exact opposite from my experience.

Greetings all
Just my .02. Pete

View attachment 19631

Most BBQ joints use hickory or post oak exclusively, neither are too strong for chicken or poultry at all. ;)

Pellet choice to me is always any interesting topic where opinions vary. I've used pitt boss, lumberjack, Rural King brand(which appears to not be sold anymore) and cookinpellets. Out of all of those, i would say cookinpellets is the preminum brand. I used to be able to get them from a dealer for 50 cents a lb as long as I bought a couple 40 lb bags. But then he was told to raise his prices and rather than just trying to convince him, I just went back to lumberjack. But I will say I noticed a difference(not really smoke flavor) but ash produced. Cookinpellets produced a noticable amount of less ash than lumberjack.

Last summer I started buying rural king brand which was selling for $8.88 for 20 lb. bags. I had no issues with them but heard complaints. I had no issues at all and wish they still sold them.

Recently I picked up a few of the kirkland brand b/c they are such a good deal. $12.99 for 40 lbs. which is such a great price. I've have not any issues thus far.

To me, the prices how pellets brands vary doesn't equal the smoke flavor/quality of them. To me at least where I live, buying pellets for $1 a lb. is just crazy. The one exception for me is I do buy the Royal Oak charcoal pellets. I use those for my smoke tube with whatever wood chip flavor mixed in. So for longer cooks, I get a lot of smoke flavor from those charcoal pellets with say hickory chips mixed in.

I do recommend Cookinpellets a lot! Especially if you can either get straight from the factory or a dealer close to you who will sell for cash and give a good deal.

To me, what I want out of pellets is good even temps and decent smoke. If you want more direct smoke flavor, buy the 100% varities from whoever like lumberjack. But even doing that, I still like to use a smoke tube for ribs, brisket, chicken, etc with whatever wood chip flavor(like cherry, hickory) that i want added. I've had great success this way.

Pellet choice to me is always any interesting topic where opinions vary. I've used pitt boss, lumberjack, Rural King brand(which appears to not be sold anymore) and cookinpellets. Out of all of those, i would say cookinpellets is the preminum brand. I used to be able to get them from a dealer for 50 cents a lb as long as I bought a couple 40 lb bags. But then he was told to raise his prices and rather than just trying to convince him, I just went back to lumberjack. But I will say I noticed a difference(not really smoke flavor) but ash produced. Cookinpellets produced a noticable amount of less ash than lumberjack.

Last summer I started buying rural king brand which was selling for $8.88 for 20 lb. bags. I had no issues with them but heard complaints. I had no issues at all and wish they still sold them.

Recently I picked up a few of the kirkland brand b/c they are such a good deal. $12.99 for 40 lbs. which is such a great price. I've have not any issues thus far.

To me, the prices how pellets brands vary doesn't equal the smoke flavor/quality of them. To me at least where I live, buying pellets for $1 a lb. is just crazy. The one exception for me is I do buy the Royal Oak charcoal pellets. I use those for my smoke tube with whatever wood chip flavor mixed in. So for longer cooks, I get a lot of smoke flavor from those charcoal pellets with say hickory chips mixed in.

I do recommend Cookinpellets a lot! Especially if you can either get straight from the factory or a dealer close to you who will sell for cash and give a good deal.

To me, what I want out of pellets is good even temps and decent smoke. If you want more direct smoke flavor, buy the 100% varities from whoever like lumberjack. But even doing that, I still like to use a smoke tube for ribs, brisket, chicken, etc with whatever wood chip flavor(like cherry, hickory) that i want added. I've had great success this way.
Are you going to try out Bear Mountain?

Another vote for Bear Mountain

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back