pellet question

ddpor

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
200# pellets arrived during a torential driving rain. 5 boxes soaked and bags were wet at least on the outside. There were small holes in the bags so I could only assume some of the pellets got wet. RT says don't use and I agree, but wondered if anyone would toss all or save those pellets that appeared to have stayed dry? They did offer to resend the order.

Don't toss them out - toss them in your other grills/smokers during a cook.
I also have used them to bump my smoker temps when it's being stubborn about getting to the temp I want.

I know this isn’t helpful but I would not use pellets that were exposed to those conditions. You would have the original concern with wet/swollen pellets but you may also have a secondary concern that includes the introduction of enough humidity to expand, break down, or fuse any residual salvaged pellets without obvious signs. I think you just got yourself a lifetime of smoker tube pellets for free. Good luck.

While 200# is a lot of pellets, they can be used in a smoke tube (interspersed with wood chips/small blocks) for additional smoke. That’s probably a lifetime supply, but you may be able to get some use from them.

I’m in the same boat, with 240# of Recteq Ultimate Blend pellets that I don’t care for. I will reserve them for smoke tube use until I get tired of tripping over them; then, they’ll probably get tossed unless I find someone locally that wants them.

While 200# is a lot of pellets, they can be used in a smoke tube (interspersed with wood chips/small blocks) for additional smoke. That’s probably a lifetime supply, but you may be able to get some use from them.

I’m in the same boat, with 240# of Recteq Ultimate Blend pellets that I don’t care for. I will reserve them for smoke tube use until I get tired of tripping over them; then, they’ll probably get tossed unless I find someone locally that wants them.
Jim - what don't you like about them, not enough smoke, flavor profile?

Jim - what don't you like about them, not enough smoke, flavor profile?
For starters, some of the “pellets” are 1.5” long and they jam the auger. Then, while they provide OK smoke, it doesn’t have much of a flavor profile. I’m guessing they have a lot of “hardwood” filler.

Overall, I’ve had a far better experience with Kingsford Hickory pellets. They seem to be more uniform in size and the Hickory flavor profile is far superior to the RT blend. YMMV

For starters, some of the “pellets” are 1.5” long and they jam the auger. Then, while they provide OK smoke, it doesn’t have much of a flavor profile. I’m guessing they have a lot of “hardwood” filler.

Overall, I’ve had a far better experience with Kingsford Hickory pellets. They seem to be more uniform in size and the Hickory flavor profile is far superior to the RT blend. YMMV
My RT-300 I picked up locally s few weeks ago came with a hopper full ot RT ultimate bland and the remainder of the bag. I was surprised when I saw how long some of the pellets were. I remember reading on the Bullseye Facebook group that Reqtec recommended pellets no longer than 3/4" and supposedly their pellets were more uniform in size. But this bag showed differently. I have since used up the whole bag in the RT-300 and am I to Sam's Club brand pellets now. Which are more uniform in size and have not seen any pellets as long as some of the RT pellets were.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back