RT-1250 Pellet Question

Alex998

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
New here.. I have been lurking for a bit here though. I finally bit the bullet and purchased the 1250. My question is do you fill the hopper all the way up? Or halfway? I have read where pellets can absorb moisture over time so I was curious on procedure of just leaving the pellets in the hopper.

Last edited:
As another 1250 owner, I have been experimenting with different pellets so I tended to only load 20 pounds at a time just in case I decide I have pellets that I end up not liking (I've done this twice). Lately, after finding a pellet that's giving me consistent quality, I tend to load up the hopper.

I don't have a humidity problem where I'm at and even during the wet part of winter, the pellets stayed dry in the hopper when the grill was covered when not in use.

You'll probably get a variety of opinions, based on brand of pellet and geography.

Enjoy your 1250 and try not to go broke buying meat. So far I'm well on my way to being "meat poor."

New here.. I have been lurking for a bit here though. I finally but the bullet and purchased the 1250. My question is do you fill the hopper all the way up? Or halfway? I have read where pellets can absorb moisture over time so I was curious on procedure of just leaving the pellets in the hopper.
Welcome aboard @Alex998 ! I fill the hopper because I'm lazy, no issue.

Welcome! Have the 700 not the 1250 but I usually just pop a 20# bag in at a time as needed unless I am doing a very long smoke. I think it comes down to storage, environment, and frequency of use. If youre not in a super humid area, if you store it out of rain, and use it often, I wouldnt think twice about filling it all the way up. That being said ive had a full hopper in the middle of rain and snow while running and had no issues whatsoever with moisture in the hopper

Ya, I am in South GA, so it is quite humid and its outside with a cover on it.

So all the makings for 'mold'.

Ya, I am in South GA, so it is quite humid and its outside with a cover on it.

So all the makings for 'mold'.
I will say when I bought my 700 the guy stated that when it comes to humid environments its almost better to leave the cover off unless it is going to rain. He lives in Evans and says this is his method to avoid condensation and such due to the humidity.

Ya, I have the same issue with my egg, my patio is on the side of the house that doesn't get much sun until late afternoon.

May have to reconfigure the patio furniture hope the wife doesn't care ;)

In Georgia too, have filled up no issues, however my grill is under a porch roof and I do keep it covered. I am sure you will cook alot and it hopefully wont be an issue.

I now have 3 grills, wife enjoys food, but complaining about space, so I may have to re-arrange some things!

Welcome and happy smoking! Lots of good info here, dont get overwhelmed. My suggestion is just cook.

Michigander here…I too fill mine all the way up without issue. I scoop them out if I want to switch over to a different pellet.

I'm in Georgia as well and have owned my 590 for two years. I cook on it 4-5 times a week so I keep my hopper full of pellets. I have only used the Rec Tec pellets since I bought it and buy two 40 lb bags at a time from Amazon. I keep them in a big plastic container and everything is under a covered screened porch. I have no issues with pellets. I cover the grill......when I remember to!

I live in South Louisiana along the coast and bayou area. It’s super humid here. I keep pellets in my hopper all the time. I keep a cover on the grill and it stays in my outside kitchen. I’ve never had a pellet problem. I use pit boss or kingsford only.

I fill mine up and keep a small bag of damp rid laying on top of the pellets. No issues and my grill lives outside in the elements...but with a Rec Teq cover. 😊

I live in South Louisiana along the coast and bayou area. It’s super humid here. I keep pellets in my hopper all the time. I keep a cover on the grill and it stays in my outside kitchen. I’ve never had a pellet problem. I use pit boss or kingsford only.
Out of curiosity, how long between uses? Mine's fine with pellets left in the hopper except the one time it sat for a month or so.

New here.. I have been lurking for a bit here though. I finally but the bullet and purchased the 1250. My question is do you fill the hopper all the way up? Or halfway? I have read where pellets can absorb moisture over time so I was curious on procedure of just leaving the pellets in the hopper.
You "but" the bullet? Lol
I have a 750 & load up to the top. Don't think there's a pellet door on the 1250 like the traeger has. I just leave mine in the hopper. You should get a cover for hit grill, it keeps moisture out & dirt off.

I rely on spell check and grammar check way to much these days unfortunately. :p

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back