Pellet Tray Question

lowcountrygamecock

I’ve been trying to use my amazn pellet tray to get some added smoke in the 700. I haven’t had any luck keeping it lit. I’m using cabelas brand 100% hickory pellets. The pellets lit easily and I let it burn five minutes or so before I blew it out but it won’t stay lit. I’ve tried several times and haven’t had luck keeping it lit. I had that problem with my mes smoker and had to use a mailbox mod to keep them lit because of poor air flow. I would have thought air flow wouldn’t be an issue with the bull though. Any ideas?

I have the same tray. I light it using a bernzomatic torch and always let it burn 10 minutes before blowing it out. The manual says 10 minutes. I light it outside of the grill usually on the patio, and let it burn before placing in the grill. Works every time. Sounds like your pellets are dry, but if they have any moisture that will obviously cause an issue.
image.jpg

Even tho they are lighting easily, there still maybe posture on inside of pellet. I always microwave. 1 minute, allow to cool couple minutes and cook them another minute. I use mailbox in MES 40 and place it by the probe outlet hole on 590

I’m an long-time ex-user of an MES with the mailbox mod. I’m thinking of trying to use the mailbox with a RT 340 and fashioning an adapter hose of some kind to go in at the probe outlet hole. It’s a small opening, but it could still work, I think.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back