Bull Peeling paint

navynuke

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Anyone else have an issue with the paint on the lid peeling? I contacted Customer Support and they offered to send “touch up” paint. My issue is that the “paint” is more like a film and not sure how to get it to cover without leaving loose edges on the peeling paint. I brought that up to CS and they said I could purchase a new lid for $140. As much great stuff as I’ve heard about their support, I’m seriously disappointed in this answer.
BD80CF64-C2FA-4C28-999E-B65A878CE51E.jpeg

How old is the grill?
This looks like a sanding block and high-temp paint project. There's no way you're going to blend in new paint and have it not stick out almost as bad as the rust. I guess this would be cosmetic - the grill still functions 100% like it's supposed to - except the look pretty part.

How old is the grill?
This looks like a sanding block and high-temp paint project. There's no way you're going to blend in new paint and have it not stick out almost as bad as the rust. I guess this would be cosmetic - the grill still functions 100% like it's supposed to - except the look pretty part.
It’s 2 1/2 years old. Ya, it’s just going to just be a cosmetic issue. I store my grill in my garage to keep it in great condition and just a bit disappointed in the paint quality.

I stripped and repainted mine, and it needs it again. If you do a search on rust, you’ll find a few threads on it. Best idea I saw was to have it powder coated, if you have someone around that does such.

"Limited warranty does not apply to paint or damage caused from corrosion."

Just pulled this from their site. Paint and rust are not covered. Grill info says the lid is powder coated, so don't waste your money paying to have it powder coated. Just use some good high temp paint.

Anyone else have an issue with the paint on the lid peeling? I contacted Customer Support and they offered to send “touch up” paint. My issue is that the “paint” is more like a film and not sure how to get it to cover without leaving loose edges on the peeling paint. I brought that up to CS and they said I could purchase a new lid for $140. As much great stuff as I’ve heard about their support, I’m seriously disappointed in this answer. View attachment 18362
This is a problem with these grills. I purchased a 680 and a year later after keeping it covered in their cover and under an umbrella outside, this started happening. I think I was one of the first as they sent me the paint but had to put together a video on how to repair my new grill. Their support was good but how they offered to fix it seemed a little questionable. I did the repair but a few months later it came back even worse. They sent me another bottle of paint. I then started noticing that they we to mostly stainless steel and not paint but I'm seeing that hose are having issues as well. This is not a cheap grill so I am surprised that they dont stand up.

Cosmetics, paint peeling and rust. I purchased the recteq 700 in Aug 2000 after extensive research. Other than cooking performance, which we are very pleased with, I was also concerned with rust prevention due to our home location of Miami Fl. Late last summer, September 2022, I noticed considerable rust on the stainless steel and more so on the powder coated legs and bottom shelf. The Smoker has always been under cover on our pool patio and we have been obsessed with keeping it clean and polished with anti corrosion/stainless steel cleaner. Customer service was contacted and their response can be read below

1673890927499.jpeg

We decided there were 2 options. Use the 700 for a couple more years until it became a rust pile on our patio or fix the problem. We chose the latter. The 700 was completely disassembled and all the painted parts were sent for sand blasting and powder coating.
1673891317413.jpeg

1673891343555.jpeg

1673891372918.jpeg

1673891492280.jpeg

Powder Coating drop off
1673891689301.jpeg

Powder Coated parts back for reassembly
1673891830421.jpeg

1673891869686.jpeg

During reassembly every effort was used to ensure dissimilar metal corrosion was prevented by utilising insulating tape between metal surfaces, Fiber washers were used on all screw heads and nuts.
Please see my next Post for the reassembly.
This site only allows 10 pics per Post

1673890744738.png

1673891570396.jpeg

Part 2-Cosmetics, paint peeling and rust
During reassembly every effort was used to ensure dissimilar metal corrosion was prevented by utilising insulating tape between metal surfaces, Fiber washers were used on all screw heads and nuts.
Insulating Tape on upper leg, side braces and Stainless shelf
1673892767348.jpeg

1673892971617.jpeg

1673893027073.jpeg

Fiber washers were used on all screw heads and nuts
1673893166114.jpeg

1673893215990.jpeg

High temp Insulating tape was used between the carriage frame and the stainless cooking chamber. The 1/8” sheet metal mounting screws for the cooking chamber were upgraded to 1/4” stainless bolts and nuts.
1673893709090.jpeg

1673893771818-jpeg.18443

The Stainless Steel cooker barrel was polished by hand using 1500-3000 grit wet sanding pads and a hand rubbed polish. The reassembly was easy but did require my wife’s help to prevent any disasters. The stainless cooker barrel was painted with a high heat coating in the area inaccessible due to the hopper.
1673895014070.jpeg

1673895068464.jpeg

Completed Project
1673895188277.jpeg

The project took almost a month due to wait times for the powder coating and searching for the proper Fiber washers. Total Project cost was $695 but the bulk of the cost was the powder coating.
Lessons for the Recteq 700:
The 700 works as advertised. It is an excellent Pellet Smoker and enjoyable to operate with some personal suggestions.
Clean the firebox regularly, especially in humid conditions. The residual ash builds up in the firebox and covers the igniter causing temp swings and hard starts.
My method for starting the 700 is. Monitor all starts by leaving the lid open until a start has begun. Light smoke will be seen and will increase to thick smoke. This may take up to 5 minutes. The light off of the pellets will be heard, sounds like a butane torch. The smoke will quickly clear and the bbq temp will begin to rise. Now close the lid and let the 700 do its magic.

1673893771818.jpeg

I’ll be happy with that amount of rust after 22 years, 19 more to go. Nice job.

did you get or price out the parts from RT?

Cosmetics, paint peeling and rust. I purchased the recteq 700 in Aug 2000 after extensive research. Other than cooking performance, which we are very pleased with, I was also concerned with rust prevention due to our home location of Miami Fl. Late last summer, September 2022, I noticed considerable rust on the stainless steel and more so on the powder coated legs and bottom shelf. The Smoker has always been under cover on our pool patio and we have been obsessed with keeping it clean and polished with anti corrosion/stainless steel cleaner. Customer service was contacted and their response can be read below

View attachment 18428
We decided there were 2 options. Use the 700 for a couple more years until it became a rust pile on our patio or fix the problem. We chose the latter. The 700 was completely disassembled and all the painted parts were sent for sand blasting and powder coating.
View attachment 18429
View attachment 18430
View attachment 18431
View attachment 18432
Powder Coating drop off
View attachment 18434
Powder Coated parts back for reassembly
View attachment 18435
View attachment 18436
Please see my next Post for the reassembly.
This site only allows 10 pics per Post

View attachment 18427

View attachment 18433
Correction: The purchase date of the RT700 was August 2020. The pictures of the rust shown were taken 2 years and 3 months after the original purchase.

Just a curious question, since your in humid and salty FL:

Are you better off leaving the cover off or finding one with some vents to keep it less humid under cover? Mine stays in garage uncovered up north, but I have no rust issues.

Anyone else have an issue with the paint on the lid peeling? I contacted Customer Support and they offered to send “touch up” paint. My issue is that the “paint” is more like a film and not sure how to get it to cover without leaving loose edges on the peeling paint. I brought that up to CS and they said I could purchase a new lid for $140. As much great stuff as I’ve heard about their support, I’m seriously disappointed in this answer. View attachment 18362
My Bull is almost 4 years old and doesn’t look any where near as bad as yours. But then I clean my grill often (409 cleaner) and keep cover on it when not using. How often do you clean yours and is it covered when not in use?

One other comment. I think the quality coming from China in the last two to three year is declining with Covid and declining US China relationship. ReqTec would be doing themself a big upgrade if they started US manufacturing using US stainless steel. IMO

One other comment. I think the quality coming from China in the last two to three year is declining with Covid and declining US China relationship. ReqTec would be doing themself a big upgrade if they started US manufacturing using US stainless steel. IMO
Every business needs to bring manufacturing back home. IMHO

Every business needs to bring manufacturing back home. IMHO
I agree, but the increase in costs will raise product prices at least 50-70%. Sadly, that will quickly kill the market for the product. The American marketplace wants top-quality, domestically produced products…at bargain basement prices.

I agree, but the increase in costs will raise product prices at least 50-70%. Sadly, that will quickly kill the market for the product. The American marketplace wants top-quality, domestically produced products…at bargain basement prices.
I agree in principle; but when the reality is anywhere from 50% to 300% premium for American made it's a tough principle to stick to. We all could have gone with the US sourced 304 stainless and US mfg MAK two star for the low low price of ~$4500 if American was so important to us. It's a great grill (they're sold out) at over three times the cost of the all stainless Recteq. Yoder is another US mfg; also about triple the cost of the non-stainless Recteq units. Hopfully @Greg Jones tells us it was worth every penny.
The options are there - but as Jim basically alluded to - I went for what I perceived as the most bang for my buck.

Agree but the reality is, when we forget how to manufacture, we lose in every way. That said, I still spend the money for American or UK manufactured audio equipment. Not triple the price but triple the quality. I did however knowingly buy a RecTeq and so far I am not sorry.

I faced that choice recently when I bought a new gas grill. Principle won out, but it was a tough choice. The Napoleon Prestige 500 I finally purchased is not made in the USA, but it is made in Canada. And, it was priced well above the comparable made-in-China grills (including the RT-380X pellet grill), but I felt an obligation to keep my dollars in North America.

When I finally do buy a new pellet smoker/grill, it will probably be a MAK. Sometimes, you just have to stand on principle and defend your values. YMMV.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back