Heat deflector peeling?

fjsmalley

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Put together my RT-1250 and did the cook in yesterday afternoon and some bacon at night. Prepping for some loins today and noticed the heat deflector had some areas that almost looked like paint peeling? Anyone notice this before? I had no temp over 400.
Anything to worry about?

I don’t have the 1250 (old version 700) and wonder if you are seeing the signs of tempering from the break in cook(s)? Was it actual delamination of the metal where you have lifted substrate/surface metal material or discoloration of the metal in the hotter areas where exposed? If it is delaminating I’d be on the phone with RT immediately as it could represent an unhealthy condition.

Ok, took another look after my cook. It wasn’t the heat deflector, rather the burner. Had some bubbling on the front and side. You can see where I popped the bubbles before the cook and some that haven’t broken yet.

Cook turned out great btw. Couple big loins. Tony’s on one, SPG on the other
08E0CE9B-33DE-4D0C-9702-15866147E540.jpeg
E56A5360-8E3B-4AD8-9E2B-390EB34DFEC9.jpeg
5811CCE1-D42B-48A0-AD77-418D3C72D16B.jpeg
FD5C8B2F-DEFC-44AF-845C-25FF9337FAD5.jpeg

Glad you were able to isolate the issue to the burn pot. I’m not sure what that material is. Do you know if anything may have spilled on it or if it was greasy when you assembled your smoker? It almost looks like someone did a “touch up” on a poorly prepared/painted surface.

8EB866E3-44DD-45DD-9038-9B1BAAA3D2C8.jpeg

My lid is peeling. Bubbling then peeling. I notice this happens over the area where I use the searing grates. I guess the paint can’t handle the higher heat. I’m wondering what the fix would be for this. Does it have to be repainted or just replaced?

Looks to me like is was a grease fire, with all the black on the unpainted stainless barrel. Repainting with high-temp paint will be fine as recteq usually won’t replace a lid due to issues with the paint.

I had it on my lid for a different reason, cooking pizza with a welding blanket over it. (I think). Removed the lid, stripped it with a sander, primed and repainted with rustoleum high heat primer and paint. They also make an ultra high het version, one is gloss while the other is flat. Wally World had it when I did mine.

Peeling powder coat. That structure is steel and presumed powder coated or painted. Have not seen that on my 590's (still have two in the family). Would send pic to RT service. May be a quality control issue.

Last I new was RT would send you touch up paint, might matter if it’s in warranty or not. certainly worth a try.

View attachment 18905
My lid is peeling. Bubbling then peeling. I notice this happens over the area where I use the searing grates. I guess the paint can’t handle the higher heat. I’m wondering what the fix would be for this. Does it have to be repainted or just replaced?
How bad does it bother you and won't it just happen again? How about stripping the paint off it, crank up the grill and season the bare metal with oil like you would a griddle? That's how a lot of stick-burners are maintained.

Ok, took another look after my cook. It wasn’t the heat deflector, rather the burner. Had some bubbling on the front and side. You can see where I popped the bubbles before the cook and some that haven’t broken yet.

Cook turned out great btw. Couple big loins. Tony’s on one, SPG on the otherView attachment 17896View attachment 17897View attachment 17898
I had a 700 that did that and was way worse and had paint sent everywhere in my grill while cooking chicken and even had burnt paint on some of the chicken. Only used the grill twice and 90% of the paint burnt off and flake everywhere. Spoke to customer service and said it was normal and the burnt paint wouldn’t hurt anyone, wasn’t the answer I was looking for so I sent the grill back. It’s an ongoing issue if you Google it and still hasn’t been fixed.

It's sabotage by the CCP. Seems strange that after going to stainless for the barrel, that they still use regular painted steel for the lid and auger assembly cover. Even so it should not bubble and peel early in it's use. Not sure how accessible the auger cover is but would push RT to satisfy you one way or the other. As for the bubbly lid, they should replace it without argument. Keep us informed Smalley and SpillyJ.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back