Oxtails, Looking for Input......

Threadcutter

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Have seen a bunch of vid's on Y/T about Oxtails. Never considered it in the past, didn't sound appetizing.

Anyone here have any cooking experience/pointers ? I think I'm going to jump into the deep end of the pool on this.

Have seen a bunch of vid's on Y/T about Oxtails. Never considered it in the past, didn't sound appetizing.

Anyone here have any cooking experience/pointers ? I think I'm going to jump into the deep end of the pool on this.
How do you get rid of the rest of the Ox? Seems wasteful :unsure:

My mom cooked them when I was a kid, using a pressure cooker IIRC. I don’t remember how they tasted. I’ve been real tempted lately to try them also. Wild Fork has them, about $7 a pound.

My mom cooked them when I was a kid, using a pressure cooker IIRC. I don’t remember how they tasted. I’ve been real tempted lately to try them also. Wild Fork has them, about $7 a pound.
Yeah, on another Forum that I'm on, one of the guys said he bought some at Costco for the about the same price. I've been buying Standing Rib Roast for about $8.99/lb. It kind of strikes me that Ox Tail (or any kind of "tail") is almost a waste product and therefore, shouldn't be very expensive. I dunno, like $1.99/lb.

But, I'm seeing videos where pretty much everyone raves about it........

There are so many cuts now where that is the case. They used to almost give chicken wings away-now they are the most expensive individual cut of chicken! I can now (sometimes) afford nice bone-in pork chops or NY Strip steaks because people are nuts for tomahawk steaks or outside skirt steak.

When I was a kid my grandmother used to make oxtail soup. It was a depression dish (also very tasty) made from what was discarded at the butcher shop. When my in-laws owned their butcher shop we had a lady from an extremely wealthy family that would ask us to save for her oxtails so she could make some soup.

Yeah, on another Forum that I'm on, one of the guys said he bought some at Costco for the about the same price. I've been buying Standing Rib Roast for about $8.99/lb. It kind of strikes me that Ox Tail (or any kind of "tail") is almost a waste product and therefore, shouldn't be very expensive. I dunno, like $1.99/lb.

But, I'm seeing videos where pretty much everyone raves about it........
Depends on the tail 😉

We raised our own beef and pork. Absolutely nothing went to waste when we butchered meat. Beef tongue is one example, and I still cook that today when I can find it. One of my favorite examples that is harder to find, my mother would make scrambled eggs and beef brains! We loved it, washed down with fresh cow’s milk where you had to shake the jug to re-mix the cream and the (now skim) milk. The saying ‘the cream rises to the top’ means exactly what it says!

There are so many cuts now where that is the case. They used to almost give chicken wings away-now they are the most expensive individual cut of chicken! I can now (sometimes) afford nice bone-in pork chops or NY Strip steaks because people are nuts for tomahawk steaks or outside skirt steak.
Yeah, anymore, I just buy Fryer halves or whole Fryers, probably $1.59 to $1.79/lb and just "butcher" it myself. That, as opposed to a skinless, boneless chicken breast at $6.99/lb. I'm embarrassed to admit how many years/decades that I bought chicken the expensive way.

Yep. Use to be a cheap cut. Like scallops and lobster.
You want to braise them in a liquid like a low and slow tough meat. The fat,collagen and marrow will melt and produces a very beefy and unctuous flavor. Think pot roast.
Everyone should try them at least once in their life!

I'd make an Aspic out of it. Pressure cooker for at least an hour, aromatics if you want, lots of pepper, salt, TONS of garlic. I cook with the garlic and then crush in some fresh too before it hits the fridge. Pick the meat off the bone, add fresh garlic, strain the soup into your meat jell-o mold and refrigerate overnight. Next day eat a portion or two of it with some fresh bread. The garlic will cure whatever ails you.

While it's hot - before it hits the fridge to jell, it's basically a killer, super rich bone broth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back