No smoker needed here today!

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Here in the northwest corner of Washington state, we are INSIDE the smoker! Several forest fires upwind of us have blanketed our area with heavy smoke. And, it is not a hickory blend. :oops: Visibility is probably less than a quarter mile.

I had planned to smoke a brisket today, but I don’t think I should be adding any smoke to the air at this point. The smoke in the air smells so nasty, I abandoned the idea of just setting the brisket out on the patio table and doing a really slow cook. It is 85F here today, so getting to 203F internal temp would be a problem.

Hope folks in other areas have a better situation.

Here in the northwest corner of Washington state, we are INSIDE the smoker! Several forest fires upwind of us have blanketed our area with heavy smoke. And, it is not a hickory blend. :oops: Visibility is probably less than a quarter mile.

I had planned to smoke a brisket today, but I don’t think I should be adding any smoke to the air at this point. The smoke in the air smells so nasty, I abandoned the idea of just setting the brisket out on the patio table and doing a really slow cook. It is 85F here today, so getting to 203F internal temp would be a problem.

I hear ya! I’m in SW WA and its nasty out. Was gonna make some pizzas but I figured I’d stay inside. At least it’ll start cooling down by next week. Stay safe!

We're just a little South of you and in addition to the smoke, we're having an ash snowstorm. I assume you probably are too.....

Jim, smoking with conifer wood is not good. Keep the brisket for another day. Sounds like a good day to wear a mask if out and about. We've been having super-hot days down in Socal, now followed by a tropical storm cooling us slightly, but raising the humidity to Florida levels. I've been walking the dog at sunrise and getting indoors for the rest of the day. I thought about bbq, but some showers and the heat has dampened that idea. Maybe time to pull out some finished ribs or brisket I froze...

Good luck to all of you being affected by the wildfires. Stay safe!

Maybe time to pull out some finished ribs or brisket I froze...
That’s precisely what we did last night. Did the pseudo Sous vide reheat of frozen brisket slices (our emergency stash) in a pot of hot water and made some great sandwiches on fresh ciabatta rolls.

As for going outside, we have limited that to very short excursions to let our two Miniature Schnauzers take care of their personal business. I wear a mask, but don’t have any to fit the dogs. We keep it brief.

The wind direction is beginning to change and the forecast is for some relief over the next couple of days. Hope they’re right.

Yeah, that Smoke and some from Idaho came over to visit us last week
Glad the Rains came and wash the Spider (Smoke) out

It has finally improved some here. There’s still “haze,” but the choking smoke is gone. The wind is currently coming from the SW, so is pushing the smoke away from us. The fires are still burning, however, and are not even close to being contained so if the winds shift again, the smoke will be back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back