Wind - Prevent smoker from tipping over - Temporary weights/anchors?

Griswold

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1070
In the process of assembling a new Flagship 1100. In the country, Central Iowa, we get a lot of wind here, and by that I mean strong wind, often.

I see this 1100 actually has D-Ring attachment points on it, so evidently Recteq is thinking either for Transport or Wind damage prevention or both.

I'm kicking around ideas, because our back yard / patio is going to go through some projects and upgrades in the coming years, I would prefer some temporary weights or anchors to tie this smoker to. Idea's I have had so far are 5 gallon buckets filled with Sack Crete with an eye bolt set in them for a cable/turnbuckle. Temporary, moveable, but heavy enough to prevent a grill falling over in all but a Tornado.

I've done concrete anchors and eye bolts for my Grill and table/chairs on my Deck, but hate to drill holes in anything for this Smoker as it won't live in this spot forever.

Curious if anyone else has come up with a better idea for temporary solutions.

I don't know that it's better - but if you have spare full propane tanks...
I think just bags of sand holding one end of ratchet straps would work well too.
You'll use the sand in your projects (probably) - and then come up with a permanent tie down.
;

The 5-gallon buckets might be a bit tippy with an eye bolt in the top. Keeping the profile as low as possible would be better IMHO. @SmokeOCD ‘s idea of using sand bags with ratchet straps wrapped around them might be better.

Is there any way you can relocate the grill to a less-exposed location when you aren’t using it? Even up against the house would help. And, if you could find a way to secure it there, that would be even better.

The 5-gallon buckets might be a bit tippy with an eye bolt in the top. Keeping the profile as low as possible would be better IMHO. @SmokeOCD ‘s idea of using sand bags with ratchet straps wrapped around them might be better.

Is there any way you can relocate the grill to a less-exposed location when you aren’t using it? Even up against the house would help. And, if you could find a way to secure it there, that would be even better.
Unfortunately wind seems to attack us from all directions. Where this smoker goes we routinely lose our egress window lid on the east side. West of the house we routinely would lose our grill and patio furniture. Only good solution is to take things inside, but like most garages, it's not easy finding room for large things like this and still being able to walk through the garage as needed.

5 gallon buckets would be expedient, but you're right about center of gravity. Slightly more effort would be quickly making some concrete forms out of say, 2x6 or 2x8, and pouring 4 of those. Estimate weight by volume and make them as heavy as I can reasonably move if necessary.

2nd project is temporary fence, to keep our 2 dogs from "decorating" this Recteq every time nature calls. They've done a number on an air conditioning unit already.

I live in Marshall county IA, not much more central Iowa than that and have the 590 it has been on the East side of my house on the deck for three years with a cover on it when not being used and never had it blow around.

I'd use 4, 12x12 pavers per corner. Use a parcel knot. You're going to need the lower point at least 1/2 the height diagonally from each corner at the beltline if you are worried about tipping. Just like you tie down the ridge of an old tent. Use a dolly to move the papers around. Then when you get done with projects use the pavers for your smoker base.

I'd use 4, 12x12 pavers per corner. Use a parcel knot. You're going to need the lower point at least 1/2 the height diagonally from each corner at the beltline if you are worried about tipping. Just like you tie down the ridge of an old tent. Use a dolly to move the papers around. Then when you get done with projects use the pavers for your smoker base.
Just thought of something. If you use the tie-down D rings you won't be able to use your cover and tie off at and angle.

I may be off base with this suggestion but what abut using the weights from a canopy or from your barbell set and tie them to the wheels. This may keep it in place. As an alternative, you may be able to put a bag of pellets on the bottom shelf. If it is on the grass or on dirt, you could get the screw in anchors that are used to keep dog leashes in the ground. Wind them in and use strong zip ties to secure the wheels.
At 40lbs, it would take a pretty large gust to move it around. Just my thoughts.

Plant a row of these. (thuja green giant) - boy do they grow fast!
Great wind break.

1707962716543.png

Instead of sandbags, go to a sports store where they sell lead shot. It comes in 25# bags and some in plastic bags that should last through rain and snow.

If you are in an area where the local airports "wind sock" is a length of logging chain, you might consider lashing a high point of the smoker to a post if you can't put the smoker somewhere protected. Suggestion only partly in jest.

I am assuming the "barrel" of the smoker is where most of the wind resistance is, which is why I was suggesting securing the grill at a high point since force on the "barrel" would have more leverage than the weight on the bottom.

Last edited:
Instead of sandbags, go to a sports store where they sell lead shot. It comes in 25# bags and some in plastic bags that should last through rain and snow.
I would be a little careful with bags of lead shot. As a shotshell reloader, I’ve used many of them, but found that the ones in cloth bags oxidized badly in humid conditions and the lead oxide bled through the cloth. It is not good for you and you certainly don’t want it coming in contact with food or food prep items—including hands. Sandbags are much more benign IMHO.

I would be a little careful with bags of lead shot. As a shotshell reloader, I’ve used many of them, but found that the ones in cloth bags oxidized badly in humid conditions and the lead oxide bled through the cloth. It is not good for you and you certainly don’t want it coming in contact with food or food prep items—including hands. Sandbags are much more benign IMHO.
Now come on, how many gallons of water have you drank coming in thru lead pipes, coming out a green hose in your life. You survived, maybe you’re stronger for it.

Now come on, how many gallons of water have you drank coming in thru lead pipes, coming out a green hose in your life. You survived, maybe you’re stronger for it.
If you‘d ever been around someone with lead poisoning, you’d know they weren’t “stronger for it.” Very debilitating.

I’ll just add that I was a trapshooter for most of my adult life-bought shot for reloading by the pallet. I’ve several 25# bags still in my garage, and when my RT-340 blew over, I quickly dismissed any thought of using them to anchor the grill. Lead poisoning is nasty.

I’ll just add that I was a trapshooter for most of my adult life-bought shot for reloading by the pallet. I’ve several 25# bags still in my garage, and when my RT-340 blew over, I quickly dismissed any thought of using them to anchor the grill. Lead poisoning is nasty.
You can buy lead shot in plastic bags that are cinched with steel ties. The plastic is not light stabilized so you would have to change them every ten years or so. I doubt any water could get to the lead. But sand is much safer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back