Stampede New Stampede - First Cook

BeYosef

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just got the Stampede this weekend. Put it together, burned it in and did the first cook.

Assembly:
Went together fairly easy. I got the cart since it was 50% off and honestly just looked cool. Glad I did as the wheels are just really heavy duty and make moving it around (which I will be doing a lot) very easy. Wish the front shelf was in stock but I can put it in later after I get one. Would have been easier with another person but was I was able to put it together by myself with the only tricky thing being putting the body on the cart.

Burn in:
I experienced the same issues with the temp being overshot (mine by about 50 degrees) over 400 on the initial burn in. I wasn’t concerned with it and left it alone. It came down to 400 and stayed within 2 degrees after the first 20 mins or so. I attributed It to having a little more pellets in my handful I primed it with than I probably should have...it was also in the mid 90s and I had it sitting in the sun. The only thing that did concern me a little were the temp probes. Putting them beside each other inside the smoker they were consistently about 10 degrees apart from one another. Everything else went flawlessly - The WiFi was scary easy to set up.

The Cook:
The smoker I started with and have been using prior to this purchase has been my 18” WSM. I wanted a little more space (Length really as I have had to cut back ribs/brisket to get them to fit) and I wanted something that was easier to clean up. My first smoke on the Stampede was a Porterhouse Steak (which I went to pickup as soon as the burn in finished). I wanted to do something I could easily compare with my WSM. This one was like my others - about 2 inches thick and weighed little over 2 lbs:
BB9B187A-5607-49B8-BB8B-F1EEA77E8972.jpeg

Turned on the smoker again... set it to 200 where it got and never went over under more than 2 degrees - AWESOME. As I had temp probe concerns from the burn I probed it with a thermpro and the probe from the smoker. They were close but were constantly 5 degrees from one another. I took the steak off about 122 degrees:
F1BBC4C5-978B-49E8-92F9-8587CAF545B0.jpeg

E9F664E2-0A12-4EC4-B5C7-7BD57228CE80.jpeg

58E4A4AF-8620-4A10-AF36-EB9C46F7FE2F.jpeg

Hopefully it’s allowable for me to admit and post this but while it was resting the Weber Genesis was getting HOT. Put the steak on to finish it off and bring it up around 135-140:
C0A65DB5-D4BF-4B5F-B92F-BFDF0BC5DEAC.jpeg

160DECFA-AEDA-4389-92B5-170A80E7BEB6.jpeg

7F5012F2-CD17-44BB-AA40-02D8CF7DB80F.jpeg

Results:
I love meat butter... that’s the best way to describe how that tasted... My WSM wouldn't get much of a smoke ring like this has after such a short time on the smoker. That said, I did get more of a Smokey taste from it vs the Stampede (probably the charcoal I hate cleaning). The pellets I used were lumberjack cherry. Cherry pellets are a light Smokey flavor anyway (which I prefer). It smelled fantastic outside while it was smoking. I can’t wait to put on a brisket/ribs/pork butt in the near future.

Do you remember your first cook on your Recteq/c - how did it go? What was it?

@BeYosef welcome to recteqforum and congrats on your new reqteq stampede. Great looking t-bone!

My first cook was a rack of ribs. No idea what I was doing and had never cooked ribs before. They turned out pretty good, not as fall off the bone that I like, but still pretty darn good.

Congrats on the Stampede, and nice job on that steak! You are going to enjoy your new grill.

I remember my first cook as I have pictures of it, a full packer brisket done almost exactly a year ago to the day.

1EF985D6-B6E8-4741-B713-D3B914F842ED.jpeg

Welcome! Steak looks great. My first cook was a full packer brisket and 3 racks of St Louis Ribs. Came out amazing, but only because my brother who is a Rec Teq user showed me the ropes and watched my every move. Kind of like a private Rec Teq lesson!

Welcome! Steak looks great. My first cook was a full packer brisket and 3 racks of St Louis Ribs. Came out amazing, but only because my brother who is a Rec Teq user showed me the ropes and watched my every move. Kind of like a private Rec Teq lesson!
Wish I had someone that could come over and help me!

Wish I had someone that could come over and help me!
My brother drove from AZ to Southern California to put my 590 together and teach me the basics. No trial and error. Once understanding the basics, the rest has been getting to know the grill and how it works with my preferences. I got darn lucky!

My first cook was yesterday. I cooked a couple of pork loin chops and some brats at 230° for two hours. I was expecting that good smoke flavor that I got from my vertical gas smoker that I have been using for years. Nope! Neither the chops or the brats had much smoke flavor at all. Very disappointed. I plan to smoke more this weekend an hope things turn out different.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back