Stampede New RT590...lots of frustrations...

BadCopNoDonut

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hey there...I just got my 590 about a week ago...I have had issues ever since...let me begin...

Delivered, built and excited...joined FB group and all the RecTeq groups possible...I am ready to become the next smoke master! (kidding...but atleast the cool dad on the block...maybe?)

Anyways, I start off simple, some burgers...I follow the suggested direction of placing some pellets into the burner so that the auger has a chance to feed without a burnout...check.
Next, I preset the temp...check
45 mins later...grill has varied in temp (up and down over 100 degrees) and never reached the pre-set of 400 that it was set to...No, I never opened the doors...
I finally just gave up and took the burgers inside to cook them...
later in the week, I tried to do some chicken tacos (recteq website and FB forum says they are great) and go to set the temp and wait...
45 mins later, nothing...temp hasn't moved...I cleaned out the pellet well and looked over everything and nothing...nothing has worked...

I have placed emails to RecTeq and have not heard back...I have posted in the FB forum and not heard back (posts wont even be approved by the admin)...and so now I post my frustration on here...I am not a happy camper...any help? ( I am not near RT otherwise I would have gone and talked with them directly...but I live in Belmont, NC so I cannot...)

I'm curious about you putting pellets in the firepot. Are you doing that each time? It could be smothering the ignitor.

You only need to add pellets manually for the initial burn-in, to prime the fuel supply. You might also do it after vacuuming ash out of the firepot, since that would leave it empty, but it's not required,

I'm curious about you putting pellets in the firepot. Are you doing that each time? It could be smothering the ignitor.

You only need to add pellets manually for the initial burn-in, to prime the fuel supply. You might also do it after vacuuming ash out of the firepot, since that would leave it empty, but it's not required,
I vacuum my Stampede and Bullseye fire pot before each cooking. I always put in a little less than a hanful new pellets in the fire pot.

Sounds like your issue is adding pellet, no need to vacuum after each cook

Why do you say I have a pellet issue? I don't have any pellet issues that I know of.

There are several people on here that are willing to help, but we need more information:

Did you check to see if anger is turning? Sometimes it gets jammed or stuck.
What brand pellets and wood type are you using?
Did you do the 1 hour burn in at 400? The first twenty minutes of that the temps vary a lot until the PID dials itself in.
What is your auger speed at? I had to slow mine down during warm months for the temp to remain constant.
Lastly, call RecTeq. I would image Fridays and Mondays are the worst days for that. They have always called me back even when I have not left a message after hours.

Completely understand your frustration and it is validated..but dont give up on RT... they will make it right.. just remember we are living in different times and companies are working short staffed so times are delayed in everything. So longer wait times.

I will add a question or two. Is your fan turning when it's on and have you tried lower set temps i.g. 180, 225 etc and if so what was the outcome??

Again it will get resolved.

nothing has worked...
On the bright side....
These grills are reasonably well built, and not complex technology. When the bugs are worked out of your grill, many cooks over many years await you.
But right now, so what? Money spent for not much in return. Stay on them until you get it right and please update us.

Good morning everyone,

to provide an update, I have spoken with many people at RT. I will say that the customer service is fantastic. Cole from RT worked with me and my frustrations. He understood and walked me through trouble shooting different problems. It appears that my auger motor was "DOA" and they are shipping me out a new one to replace. I am cautiously optimistic that this will resolve my issues and I can get to cooking. I will update once it comes in and I get it installed (hopefully end of the week/beg of next week). I have to get this fixed and ready to go prior to Oct 4 (my wedding and reception).

Thank you all for your support and I am looking forward to cooking without issue!

Completely understand your frustration and it is validated..but dont give up on RT... they will make it right.. just remember we are living in different times and companies are working short staffed so times are delayed in everything. So longer wait times.

I will add a question or two. Is your fan turning when it's on and have you tried lower set temps i.g. 180, 225 etc and if so what was the outcome??

Again it will get resolved.
It was the auger fan/motor system that was dead on arrival. A replacement is on its way to me...I hold out hope still...

Glad you got it sorted. Only add pellets to the fire pot the very first time and just a small handful at that - when you do the 1 hour burn in.

Glad you got it sorted. Only add pellets to the fire pot the very first time and just a small handful at that - when you do the 1 hour burn in.
So after you vacuum the fire pot, do you need to put a few new pellets back in the fire pot? I know after the grill is turned off, during the shut down there are a few pellets that get put back in the fire pot. So what about start up mode! Do more pellets go into the fire pot when you turn on the grill?

So after you vacuum the fire pot, do you need to put a few new pellets back in the fire pot? I know after the grill is turned off, during the shut down there are a few pellets that get put back in the fire pot. So what about start up mode! Do more pellets go into the fire pot when you turn on the grill?
Do you need to put a few new pellets back in the pot after cleaning it out? My experience is no, eventually the auger will prime the pot. However, it takes long enough to finally do that to make it well worth the effort to drop a small handful in.

Do you need to put a few new pellets back in the pot after cleaning it out? My experience is no, eventually the auger will prime the pot. However, it takes long enough to finally do that to make it well worth the effort to drop a small handful in.
Thanks @Greg Jones

Glad you’re getting it sorted out. RecTeq support is phenomenal. Is it just me that noticed? Congrats on your upcoming nuptials. You are literally jumping out of the smoke and into the fire. I wish you and your spouse to be the best on your combined journey and remember, unlike RecTeq’s support, there’s no marriage manual for you two. You’ll write each page every day and it will be filled with success.

Last post and update for now:

new motor arrived today, fixed and did an hour burn off. Then smoked chicken breast and IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!! Customer service is amazing and so happy she’s working properly now.

Attachments

• 52B52C23-1E90-4BC6-8D6D-8400F7E18060.jpeg
    52B52C23-1E90-4BC6-8D6D-8400F7E18060.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 116

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back