New round fire pot BFG

JTolbert

Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
So on many Facebook recteq sites been seeing people who are getting new BFGs with the round fire pot, compared to rectangle which mine has. Wow what a huge difference, smoke rolling out. Mine does not and will not do what I'm seeing in those videos. I love my BFG but seeing the upgrade pisses me off slightly. I called recteq to discuss if this upgrade could be adapted to previous BFG owners, told it wouldn't fit. I just got mine in November last year if they knew this change was coming a heads up would have been nice. Guy told me the change was made so all their grills would have one fire pot design, nothing to do with low smoke output of BFG. Also got the proverbial smoke amount is a personal preference lol.

I don't see how that can/will make a difference in smoke output? My previous inexpensive Pitboss made plenty of smoke and so does my 590, both grills were different designs and the Pitboss wasn't even PLC controlled. I do however find that type/brand of pellets makes a difference, and obviously what temps you are cooking at.

I don't see how that can/will make a difference in smoke output? My previous inexpensive Pitboss made plenty of smoke and so does my 590, both grills were different designs and the Pitboss wasn't even PLC controlled. I do however find that type/brand of pellets makes a difference, and obviously what temps you are cooking at.
MotoDad I don't know what the difference is, if anything I would have thought the large rectangle pot my BFG had would be better. But the early videos I've seen seem that the new round pot in the BFG totally change its smoke output performance wise. And to your point, all the smaller recteq grills don't seem to have any smoke output issue. It's the large capacity BFG that seems where people have been disappointed. And again I love my BFG it was just a bit eye opening to see how the new ones appear to perform!

Attached some screen shots from a video this is BFG with new round pot. Supposedly running at 225

Screenshot_20231013-103207_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231013-103203_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231013-103202_Facebook.jpg

Is that in real life - or is that a recteq marketing guy? It's fall now - would your BFG look similar now with the cold air?

That was real life video that I took snap shots of. Mine has never put out smoke like that. And from all the other posts I've read from BFG owners, before the fire pot change, not most of the BFG units. I had recently heard some discussion of Recteq changing the fire pot but had not seen anything from anyone who bought a new one. It's a different performance for sure.

So you need a "C" shaped, perforated piece of stainless muffler exhaust to slip in there for a test. The opening of the C-shape would naturally allow the ignitor and pellet chute to continue to function. Or maybe even simpler, a metal wedge shape to keep the pellets piled up on top of each other back towards the chute. Just a scientific experiment. I'm thinking your bigger burn pot allows the pellets to spread out and burn more efficiently, thus less smoke.

So you need a "C" shaped, perforated piece of stainless muffler exhaust to slip in there for a test. The opening of the C-shape would naturally allow the ignitor and pellet chute to continue to function. Or maybe even simpler, a metal wedge shape to keep the pellets piled up on top of each other back towards the chute. Just a scientific experiment. I'm thinking your bigger burn pot allows the pellets to spread out and burn more efficiently, thus less smoke. I was thinking very similar some some stainless shims or pieces to block off part of the rectangle pot , make it smaller and see if more smoke output would result.

I was thinking of experimenting, find some way to block part of the pot see if it added smoke or just what might happen if anything

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back