Eye of Round Slow Smoked Recipes/Recommendations?

JamesB

I know in advance that an eye of round roast is not an ideal choice for a low and slow cook with my RT-700 because they are lean as a general rule, but I have one in the freezer that’s just sitting there …. 😎. So, I’m going to thaw it and see how it goes tomorrow.

With that being said, I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, tips, or recommendations for maximizing this cook.

Thanks All.

I have read that both here and in other forums, but I’m not a beef jerky fan.

Thanks
James

I did one. I slow smoked for a bit and then roasted hot sort of like a reverse seared roast beef. It was sort of a disappointment.

Not that you have the time now, but if I had one again, I'd probably corn it and make a version of pastrami. The meat is pretty lean without a ton of flavor on it's own.

Maybe a beef broth injection would help.

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m thinking of injecting it with Gordon Food Service beef au jus base and letting that, plus an Omaha Steaks rub, penetrate it for several hours before a very slow smoke at 180 -200 degrees, so I guess I’ll just have to see how it goes.

Luckily, my wife and brother-in-law (a special needs adult who lives with us) are both generous in their praise when things go well, and patiently tolerant of misfires (such as my entirely misguided attempt to smoke KC ribs on an Aussie Walkabout grill ….) 😎

My first thoughts are that all cheaper and tougher cuts benefit from low and slow. Your enemies here are that it is a leaner cut/tougher since its a heavily utilized part of the cow. So do everything you can to counteract that. Coat it in butter, cook it inside of a pan with onions, celery, and mushrooms (veggies that release a lot of moisture and enhance flavor). baste with butter and beef broth throughout the cook like what would be done with other lean meats like turkey and venison. Finally, like with most dense meats, there will be a substantial carry over cook when resting so pull it 10 degrees short of finish and wrap with a good hour rest. Disclaimer: I have never cooked that cut so these are my thoughts but I could be way off.

Been a while, but the best way I found to tenderize an eye is cut it very thin when slicing, add gravy to boost flavor. I’d do a sear all around, shooting for medium rare, maybe even searing in cast iron as hot as I could get it.

The best jerky I’ve had was from a small 1 person store out in the boonies on the way to my fishing ponds, used Eye for it. Some clown converted the store to a house!

Last edited:
I've seen recipes using it for philly cheesesteak sandwhiches

That is all I make jerky out of. I buy them when they're on sale and do several pounds at a time. Slice it to 1/8", marinade for 24 and dehydrate on my old nesco dehydrator. They make good jerky and are cheap. I'm on my second round of 2 dehydrators. I buy the extra racks as to not crowd them. I can get roughly 5lbs of jerky for $20ish. (on sale). The jerky goes along way in the field.

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m thinking of injecting it with Gordon Food Service beef au jus base and letting that, plus an Omaha Steaks rub, penetrate it for several hours before a very slow smoke at 180 -200 degrees, so I guess I’ll just have to see how it goes.

Luckily, my wife and brother-in-law (a special needs adult who lives with us) are both generous in their praise when things go well, and patiently tolerant of misfires (such as my entirely misguided attempt to smoke KC ribs on an Aussie Walkabout grill ….) 😎
I've read where you cook it to rare to medium rare and slice it thin for Philly steaks and it's amazing. Heavily season it because it will take it. Don't be afraid of the S&P.

Here’s the result of my cook. I started by injecting it with au jus, coating with a rub, refrigerating it for three hours, then smoked 180 degrees for 40 minutes, the 200 degrees for 2.5 hours, then 30 minutes at 225. I also led the fat off on the edge and rotated it so the fat was on top and allowed to flow down the meat.

Very tender, very tasty and flavorful.

AA72A043-924B-49A9-B15B-FCA0F7FAD5CA.jpeg

02287C24-F721-464F-8F90-811414A530F2.jpeg

I like to smoke the eye on low for an hour or so before adding garlic/rosemary/thyme, vacuum sealing and dropping into a sous vide bath at 131 for 30 hours. Into an ice bath and then fridge overnight before throwing on the slicer.

You’ll never buy roast beef again.

Last edited:
Here’s the result of my cook. I started by injecting it with au jus, coating with a rub, refrigerating it for three hours, then smoked 180 degrees for 40 minutes, the 200 degrees for 2.5 hours, then 30 minutes at 225. I also led the fat off on the edge and rotated it so the fat was on top and allowed to flow down the meat.

Very tender, very tasty and flavorful.

View attachment 18535

View attachment 18536
Wow…nicely done; that looks great. I wouldn’t have thought you’d get that result from a low-temp cook, but that’s why doing experimental cooks is such a great idea. Thin-sliced like that should make amazing RB sandwiches on a hoagie roll.

I would brine it overnight, smoke for 2-3 hrs then bag and sous vide for 24-48 hours at 130-135 deg. Remove from bag, pat dry and sear on Bullseye or in skillet with tallow.

I do my inside and eye of rounds @ 180 until an internal temp of 120. I pull and wrap in a towel and place in a cooler for 4-5 hrs. Then the refrigerator till the next day. Then slice the next day and vacuum pack for roast beef sandwiches as needed for lunches.

4D076A5D-A99E-4CDC-AFAC-BA47CA174FE8.jpeg

118E6BEC-FEB1-4279-AA5F-A58FFC589802.jpeg

607152E6-2D4D-4AEA-A1E9-A10675B5982D.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back