New brand on the market

Nice setup you have there!

I was waiting for this trip to GA to look at the RT'S when the buzz started about the W's. Figured I'd look at both brands before deciding. Chances of going with a W seem less now that some reviews are.coming out. I want something reliable.
I guess the whole burning your house down or even worse one of your neighbors houses would be a good enough motivation for me not to go with a Weber Self Combustible.(My new nickname for them)

Well, I for one bought the SmokeFire - and now the Bull - because they are able to both grill and smoke. When the WSF was working, it actually did a great job at both. I'm not expecting miracles, but from everything I've read the RT will be able to do a fine job with most grilling tasks. When I come home from work and it's dark and 20 degrees outside, the last thing I want to do is fool around with charcoal and I've never been a fan of gas grills. If I can warm it up while sitting inside and throw on some chicken or brats or burgers, I'll be a happy camper.

Understood. All these different grills and smokers have compromises. We pick our equipment, in part, based on the conveniences and chores associated with different types. For grilling on a "pellet grill" I ran across the Mak and also the Camp Chef "Slide & Grill" (SG models). Both brands have a way to reconfigure the heat deflector to allow a limited direct heat by way of a perforated drip tray. It looks like an interesting idea for the grilling capability.

Understood. All these different grills and smokers have compromises. We pick our equipment, in part, based on the conveniences and chores associated with different types. For grilling on a "pellet grill" I ran across the Mak and also the Camp Chef "Slide & Grill" (SG models). Both brands have a way to reconfigure the heat deflector to allow a limited direct heat by way of a perforated drip tray. It looks like an interesting idea for the grilling capability.

For me after I sent the SmokeFire back, I was down to the RT700 or the Camp Chef. In the end I decided on the Bull and bought the searing grates. I did not like the idea of having propane. But IF I bought the Camp Chef I would have been happy too. The idea of being able to pull back the deflector cover and then let the flames work their way through the louvers seems like a great way to get a steak seared. They also have a hopper cleanout. Some nice features. Only a 3 year warranty though.

Saw my first WSF for sale "used" on FB Marketplace today, the ask was $600, half what it cost new. Looked like it might have been fired once. No comment by the seller on issues, just the offer. Also stumbled across the Weber offer on Amazon. Man the feedback section was brutal, high percentage of one star ratings and some nasty comments in reply. Quite the s#^t storm.
Seems a little odd to take such a hit. But I guess if you really don't want to deal with the issues and you have more money than patience? ?‍♂️

Wow, I thought I did well keeping my old Vermont Castings grill going for 16 yrs

It's an old 4 burner Capt'n Cook. Has a stainless lid and porcelain coated lower. The cast iron burners were rusted out to near useless, the ceramic stone stainless holders were falling apart and the thing was caked with grease inside. I ran across some cast stainless burners on Alibaba and ordered them, then I was committed to a rebuild. A few cans of oven spray and the quarter car wash and it was reasonably clean. Then I saw some things that made me wish I hadn't started fixing it. But it was too late, because I had bought some replacement stainless grates by then. ?. More time than I ever wanted to invest, a piece of semi tractor perforated stainless muffler heat shield, a few cans of spray paint, and it looked pretty decent. I figure I can get at least another 15 years out of it. Then I'm planning on switching to baby food anyway, if I'm still around.

20200229_093846.jpg
20200229_094022.jpg

Last edited:
Bummer. Weber is gonna take a bath on these. Seems like they "grill" ok, but the grease management was a flop. Frankly, I didn't buy my (RecTec Bull) pellet "grill" to actually grill. I bought it to BBQ, A.K.A. "smoke". I like how it does that very much. But I think a pellet grill is a poor device for direct heat grilling. It's like taking a Jeep road racing. I'll take my cheap 20 year old rebuilt gas grill over my pellet grill for that job, or better yet, one of my charcoal komados.
If you don’t have grill grates, buy them. I can’t believe how perfectly they grill a steak. Best steaks I’ve ever cooked.
Use them at 450 degrees with some Weber steak seasoning piled high. REC TECS -GRILL STEAK PERFECTION.

If you don’t have grill grates, buy them. I can’t believe how perfectly they grill a steak. Best steaks I’ve ever cooked.
Use them at 450 degrees with some Weber steak seasoning piled high. REC TECS -GRILL STEAK PERFECTION.
That's what I like to hear! We love the Weber steak seasoning, too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back