Need a new pellet brand

Spronko

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
We just moved from Michigan to the Triangle region of NC. I've been using lumberjack for years, have never had a problem, and really like them. No one around here carries them and I need a new brand. I just set up the grill and ran over to Wally World because it is closest. They only carry Pit Boss which I've heard mixed reviews on. I got a bag and will give it a try. Wondering what y'all are using that is readily available? Thanks

I’ve had no problems with LJ, Bear Mt, Cabelas, and even Kirkland. Fwiw I can’t tell a difference between them other then pellet size, they all work for me.

I'm in the W-S area of NC, and Academy, Ace, and Tractor Supply carry various brands and flavors. I almost exclusively use Kirkland pellets, unless I'm fooling with specific flavors.

Guess I'm going to have to give that Kirkland brand a try. I've always been a LJ snob, but about the only place I can find it anymore is in dedicated outdoor stores and they really like to jack the prices.

Guess I'm going to have to give that Kirkland brand a try. I've always been a LJ snob, but about the only place I can find it anymore is in dedicated outdoor stores and they really like to jack the prices.
Yes, same story for me. I tried a couple bags of Kirkland in both my 700 and Bullseye. They worked fine for us.

I have used LJ, Bear Mountain and the last "new" one I tried is B&B competition from Academy. I will try Sam's club sooner or later.

they all did well.

Pit Boss competition blend works great for me. Rural King apparently has gone back to Lumber Jack after saying their RK branded pellets were exactly the same as LJ. Bull.

I have used LJ, Bear Mountain and the last "new" one I tried is B&B competition from Academy. I will try Sam's club sooner or later.

they all did well.
I've only tried Pitboss hickory and the sams club hardwood blend. Different sizes. I got a little bit smokier flavor and more bark with the pitboss...

I use only Bear Mountain. 100% with no fillers and burns with very little dust. Very clean. Order online and have shipped anywhere!

There’s a reason most every comment on here mentions them. They are awesome. I’ve gotten the best smoked flavor from them over everything else I’ve tried. When I tried LJ to compare, I didn’t see much improvement in smoke quality or flavor. So, I stuck with BM since I get the same results and the pellets are easier to obtain.

Last edited:
We just moved from Michigan to the Triangle region of NC. I've been using lumberjack for years, have never had a problem, and really like them. No one around here carries them and I need a new brand. I just set up the grill and ran over to Wally World because it is closest. They only carry Pit Boss which I've heard mixed reviews on. I got a bag and will give it a try. Wondering what y'all are using that is readily available? Thanks
Look at Wally World on line. They have many brands and will deliver free. It saves driving and walking Into their store

https://www.walmart.com/search?q=wood pellets for smoker grills&typeahead=wood pellets

I have also used Kirkland. No problems. Honestly I cannot find much difference between any brands or type of wood.

Pitboss competition blend mostly for me, but I prefer LJ pellets overall. No shortage of pellet options where I am, so reckon I'm quite lucky. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back