Stampede Need some advice for smoking Ribeyes

GrillRookie

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
First time using my RT590. Background. I have 4 two inch thick 2 1/2 lbs. ribeyes. They are semi-defrosting in the refrigerator. I have the rub. Just need to know at what temps and for what durations I should smoke them, and what internal temp target should give me a medium cook. Any additional advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

p.s. I will be doing this at an outdoor temperature of 25°.

Take a look at this and read a few comments following. I just did my first ribeyes also and my only feedback was they came out a bit too smoke flavored for my liking. I prefer more of a natural ribeye flavor. Some comments on how to try & adjust for that follow. Otherwise, I highly recommend the method in general if you can sear (even a cast iron skillet should work or similar). Took them off right as they hit 145.

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/show-us-what-youre-cooking.2925/#post-30543

Take a look at this and read a few comments following. I just did my first ribeyes also and my only feedback was they came out a bit too smoke flavored for my liking. I prefer more of a natural ribeye flavor. Some comments on how to try & adjust for that follow. Otherwise, I highly recommend the method in general if you can sear (even a cast iron skillet should work or similar). Took them off right as they hit 145.

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/show-us-what-youre-cooking.2925/#post-30543
Thanks. I think I’ll start at 250° to keep the smokiness down. How long was your whole smoking process ? Trying to time it so we can coordinate serving time. Also, did the internal temp of 145° when you took them off result in medium, medium rare ? I have the sear plates. but haven’t used them yet. Did you place the steaks on them for the entire cooking period or only use them at the end to sear ? Thanks again.

Smoking process was a bit longer than expected.. was closer to 1.5 hrs but maybe cause I did it so low. We were pretty hungry by the time all was done. The 145 was more medium.. it was pink but not red and defiantly had a cooked texture.

I smoked on the grate first.. my sear plates actually showed up as I was just about to put a skillet on. I realized they were on my front stairs. I would do the same.. smoke/initial cook on the grate then sear on the plate. I reached probably 540 area on full.

When on sear I monitored the temps closely.. they went from 115 (cooled down a bit to heat it up to sear temps but foil wrapped) to 145 pretty quick. One was a bit thicker and took a few more minutes but once the searing temps hit they take off. Just watch carefully.

Edit more thoughts:

Searing on the thinner one was right about 3 minutes a side.. might have been slightly longer on the 2nd side to get there. Not much.

The thicker one I did 3 minutes then once flipped watched for temps. It was probably closer to 5 or so minutes. I kinda stopped watching the time and just focused on temps.

Did not take very long to go from 200 to 500+ .. maybe 10-15 min tops. Kept the ribeyes off for that process wrapped in foil.

Last edited:
Smoking process was a bit longer than expected.. was closer to 1.5 hrs but maybe cause I did it so low. We were pretty hungry by the time all was done. The 145 was more medium.. it was pink but not red and defiantly had a cooked texture.

I smoked on the grate first.. my sear plates actually showed up as I was just about to put a skillet on. I realized they were on my front stairs. I would do the same.. smoke/initial cook on the grate then sear on the plate. I reached probably 540 area on full.

When on sear I monitored the temps closely.. they went from 115 (cooled down a bit to heat it up to sear temps but foil wrapped) to 145 pretty quick. One was a bit thicker and took a few more minutes but once the searing temps hit they take off. Just watch carefully.
For clarification. You took the ribeyes off when they reached 145° in about 1 1/2 hours, wrapped them in foil until you got the temp up to 540°,took them out of the foil and replaced them onto the sear plate. Is that correct ? Did you flip them ? Did you then take them off when they returned to internal 145°. Sorry to bother you, but I do want to get it right.

For clarification. You took the ribeyes off when they reached 145° in about 1 1/2 hours, wrapped them in foil until you got the temp up to 540°,took them out of the foil and replaced them onto the sear plate. Is that correct ? Did you flip them ? Did you then take them off when they returned to internal 145°. Sorry to bother you, but I do want to get it right.

No.. initial smoke/cook to 120 then removed wrapped in foil while bringing up to sear temps.

Then hit the sear plates.. 3 min first side timed.. then flipped and watched until they hit 145 and pulled them.

I did flip once on the initial cook also just about when they hit 100.

Keep in mind that you should allow the steak to rest once pulled from whatever final cook step you do to allow the juices to redistribute. 5ish minutes up to 10 depending on temp momentum at the end of the cook. The thing that happens is you get carry over cook that will add roughly 5 more degrees of internal temp which will take a medium to medium well as an example. 145 is a solid medium temp typically so you might end up overcooked.

Keep in mind that you should allow the steak to rest once pulled from whatever final cook step you do to allow the juices to redistribute. 5ish minutes up to 10 depending on temp momentum at the end of the cook. The thing that happens is you get carry over cook that will add roughly 5 more degrees of internal temp which will take a medium to medium well as an example. 145 is a solid medium temp typically so you might end up overcooked.

Thanks. That was helpful. One question. After the last cooking step I assume that the steaks should be rested at room temperature and not in a warming oven. Is that correct ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back