Stampede RT 590 new owner need advice and help!

mofarmer

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I purchased a 590 about a month ago, I've had temps swings and overshoots since day one. On start up it will overshoot 100 to 150 degrees it takes forever to come down to setpoint. This weekend I used it both Saturday and Sunday on long cooks. Saturday I smoked 2 whole pork loins at °225, before I started I put 2 thermo works air probes on the grill grate. They consistently went from 190 to 255 all day just up and down never really did settle, grill was in the shade no wind °80 day. Sunday 3 rack bb °250 setpoint same thing up and down all day long. Is this as good as these grills get or do I have an issue? I've called RT customer support several times all they do is run me through the setting to check that everythings working. Very disappointed with the grill and customer support so far! Looking for HELP. Thanks

Are you seeing these swings on the Recteq app also or just on the thermo works? OR both?

What pellets are you using?

Will it do it with high temps also? Or is it just low?

Is the fan cycling when low and overshoots?

The minimum feed rate only adjusts the low temps. Did you or Recteq make any adjustments to that?

NOTE: Opening lid will cause temp swings and when hot, will take time to come down like 15+ minutes. Recteq considers this normal but I don't for how long it takes.

Seeing them on the app and the thermo works. I've used pitboss comp, lumberjack, and bbq delight pellets same swings with all of them. I never use it over 350° it still has them there. Fan does cycle on and off, sometimes it's cycling and temp is still climbing. Tried lowering feed rate to .5 still had the swings. The lid was not opened for 2-3 hours or longer this weekend and it still never settled on a temp.

I would contact RT letting them know it's not working as designed. In a professional manner, let them know it's unacceptable and they need help you resolved the issue, even if they need to send you new parts to correct the problem. My fan never cycles unless I've set it below 225. Could be the cookbox probe is defective so the computer is adding or not adding the correct quantity of pellets , just guessing here.

Thanks guy's for the fast replies, pungo I agree with you on the cookbox probe, it seems like the pellet auger never runs till the grill is way below the setpoint and then it is behind then overshoots trying to catchup, and this cycle continues over and over.

Thanks guy's for the fast replies, pungo I agree with you on the cookbox probe, it seems like the pellet auger never runs till the grill is way below the setpoint and then it is behind then overshoots trying to catchup, and this cycle continues over and over.
This sounds like a PID problem. Over the course of several cooks it should have "learned" how to keep things even. Call RT.

Is th Temp probe straight up and down or bent at all towards the left side wall ? That will throw it off.

I would contact RT letting them know it's not working as designed. In a professional manner, let them know it's unacceptable and they need help you resolved the issue, even if they need to send you new parts to correct the problem. My fan never cycles unless I've set it below 225. Could be the cookbox probe is defective so the computer is adding or not adding the correct quantity of pellets , just guessing here.
I agree. My fan does cycle in the Low setting up to 200/225. After 225 it seems to even out for the duration of the cook. I’ve had mine for about a year now and never have I had an issue. (Other than when trying to cook in extremely cold temps. It does take a lot of pellets for that stuff. That’s to be expected) Good luck. Keep us posted as to what you find out in case it starts happening to others.

Is th Temp probe straight up and down or bent at all towards the left side wall ? That will throw it off
Seeing them on the app and the thermo works. I've used pitboss comp, lumberjack, and bbq delight pellets same swings with all of them. I never use it over 350° it still has them there. Fan does cycle on and off, sometimes it's cycling and temp is still climbing. Tried lowering feed rate to .5 still had the swings. The lid was not opened for 2-3 hours or longer this weekend and it still never settled on a temp.
I use smoke tubes quite a bit and learned to place them at the opposite end away from the probe and that helped. I don’t know if your using one but that helped me out. Good Luck!

Thanks to everyone, the main temp probe is straight up and down and not close to the side wall. I’ve contacted customer service several times, a guy named Bobby has called and emailed me several times on the issue. He seems very apologetic to the trouble I’m having but so far hasn’t been much help as far as finding a solution. I wish I could talk to someone directly in the technical department.

Thanks to everyone, the main temp probe is straight up and down and not close to the side wall. I’ve contacted customer service several times, a guy named Bobby has called and emailed me several times on the issue. He seems very apologetic to the trouble I’m having but so far hasn’t been much help as far as finding a solution. I wish I could talk to someone directly in the technical department.
I would keep on bugging them, every day if that is what it takes to have the problem resolved, good luck

IMHO the probe or controller is bad. My 700 is very stable now. Original controller was unstable and RT replaced it.

Call again and ask to speak to a manager or supervisor. Politely explain your problem, remind RT that the grill is still under warranty and ask for either a complete replacement grill, or the parts necessary to make the existing grill work properly. Be polite, but be firm and, escalate the problem up the management chain until you get to someone who can resolve it.

My standard line when escalating an issue is “I understand that you are unable to resolve my issue, so I need to speak with someone who can. Please get your supervisor or manager on the line; I’ll hold.”

And, be sure to take copious notes with the date and time of each call, the name of the person you spoke with, what you asked for, what they said, etc. It is amazing how the tone of a call changes when you begin reciting to a manager who you spoke with, when, and what they said.

... It is amazing how the tone of a call changes when you begin reciting to a manager who you spoke with, when, and what they said.
20-something email thread; I named and quoted the manager, added some choice words - never went over the line etiquette wise, but I think I started sounding like Saul Goodman towards the end. I had to throw in "bait and switch" on the last one - that got me a call from someone high enough to resolve my issues in 3 minutes.
The thread described above is not my only thread, and there were phone calls too. Be persistent.

Thanks guys, I'm going to stay persistent, I called again today talked to another cs guy. The previous one wanted me to lower the feed rate that did nothing for my issue, this guy wants me to raise the feed rate. I tried to explain to him that we've been through this before. I "politely" asked why they refuse to accept the fact that changing these settings over and over is not fixing the problem and we need to look into something mechanical or electrical to solve this. Reply was, we have steps we have to go through, I said I understand but we've went through all these steps before. So I'll raise the feed rate and try it. Then we'll start the process over again! My patience is wearing thin but I know these are good grills despite all the BS.

Thanks guys, I'm going to stay persistent, I called again today talked to another cs guy. The previous one wanted me to lower the feed rate that did nothing for my issue, this guy wants me to raise the feed rate. I tried to explain to him that we've been through this before. I "politely" asked why they refuse to accept the fact that changing these settings over and over is not fixing the problem and we need to look into something mechanical or electrical to solve this. Reply was, we have steps we have to go through, I said I understand but we've went through all these steps before. So I'll raise the feed rate and try it. Then we'll start the process over again! My patience is wearing thin but I know these are good grills despite all the BS.
That’s where keeping extensive notes can help. You can recite date, time and person spoken to, as well as recommendations made and diagnostic steps taken. They quickly get the point that you are documenting your contacts. It has worked for me.

They are no longer Rectec anymore, just part of a big conglomerate to MAKE MONEY......it is what it is and now all to much the norm, and much money is going overseas somewhere instead of here in the states. I'd rather pay much more for a product of a small business, than allow the quality and support to head into the crapper. In saying that.....my 590 has been dead nuts reliable and worked as advertised.

Sounds like RT is going the route of many other companies and farming out their customer support to India or wherever! Next time you call, ask for a Supervisor and do not accept anyone else!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back