Bull My RT700

I will see if I can get Ray to call me, while the two guys I talked to were nice they definitely just wanted me to go away, I have stood up and pushed to many RT700s for them to get shafted here...

Hell have cooked for two guys and had them both order ones the following week, I have done my part, time for them to do theirs, if I did something wrong I would gladly own it.
I hope you emailed the pics to RT.

Can you return the grill?

when i bought mine at recteq they said 6 year bumper to bumper. but did say that excludes paint. thats what my sales man said.
When my 700 initially came in it had a mark on the front of my competition cart. When I called they ended up sending me some touchup paint. Obviously this case its a bit more extreme, but I bet for those on here with minor imperfections if you called and asked they'd send you some out. Certainly worth the shot imo.

Problem addressed and completely satisfied with the outcome, was asked to not go into detail but again completely happy with the outcome...

Talked with Zack who was absolutely awesome to work with, dude is super smart, I will say none of them are impressed with pit boss pellets and explained why, it does seem you want to bring temps down before shutting the grill down as a hot grill likes to light pellets it seems, few lessons learned, glad they owned the problem and can move forward.

Really glad you gave it another shot.. thank you.. it really helps me stand behind it as well. This would not have sat well with me if they continued to give you the cold shoulder. (y)

Problem addressed and completely satisfied with the outcome, was asked to not go into detail but again completely happy with the outcome...

Talked with Zack who was absolutely awesome to work with, dude is super smart, I will say none of them are impressed with pit boss pellets and explained why, it does seem you want to bring temps down before shutting the grill down as a hot grill likes to light pellets it seems, few lessons learned, glad they owned the problem and can move forward.
Would you mind sharing why the Pit Boss pellets are not recommended?

glad it worked out. and i believe the shutdown should be programmed better to force a cool down cycle. absolutely love my grill no complaints but that could use adjustments

Perhaps there is a way to, in the settings?

Perhaps there is a way to, in the settings?
Not that I have seen, but there could be a hidden menu somewhere. Unless someone hacks it, I doubt we can. I wonder if RecTeq can do a firmware upgrade or something that would allow folks to change that, or change their algorithm to vary the time based on the temp on shutdown.

Last edited:

Glad to hear it.

I know a lot of folks use PB pellets and have good results with them. I have a bag out in the garage that worked fine with my Traeger, but I have only used Bear Mountain and B&B pellets in the RT. I'm giving the Traeger away to my daughter, so the PB pellets will go with it.

Personally, I notice a LOT more dust with PB pellets.

glad it worked out. and i believe the shutdown should be programmed better to force a cool down cycle. absolutely love my grill no complaints but that could use adjustments
Agreed. It could be programmed to drop the temp setting and then wait for it to come down. Rather than simply run the fan for 5 minutes.

That's what we're doing manually, anyway

I've only used my 700 a few times, and only one time at high temp (initial burn in & chicken thigh cook), but I lowered the temp to 225 and allowed the grill to get to that temp before turning off. I do the same with my 380 that I've been using for searing and as a more traditional grill (400 - 500 degrees).
I've had a few grease fires in my gas grills over the years and they are not fun! I can't imaging a hopper fire...

Grill back burned over the weekend while smoking two big pork butts, filled the pellet hopper full of flames, Rectec says the grill got to much air causing this, grill was on when it happened, they say there is no issue and I need to use simple green and pressure wash it out, the orange caulk has lifted, all the paint burned and flaked off, entire grill smells like a burned house, pork butts ruined,, there was a light wind on Saturday but nothing that should have caused a issue, when I turned the grill off it continued, I did not spray water in it as I didn't want the pellets to turn to concrete. They spent two days going back and forth only to say it's not there problem and there is nothing wrong, grill is only a couple months old, no grease in it, clean, no mods of any kind, I am livid, I have told everyone to buy a RT700, had friends over that have bought them, been a huge fan boy...

Should have bought a shitty $300 smoker if I would have known it was going to be like this, so much for customer service...
…wait…hold it… “the grill was on when this happened…” so this has nothing to do with shutting down the grill…? There was still meat on the racks that got ruined…what caused the the burn back…? The pellets used or too much air…?

Any chance a gr
Grill back burned over the weekend while smoking two big pork butts, filled the pellet hopper full of flames, Rectec says the grill got to much air causing this, grill was on when it happened, they say there is no issue and I need to use simple green and pressure wash it out, the orange caulk has lifted, all the paint burned and flaked off, entire grill smells like a burned house, pork butts ruined,, there was a light wind on Saturday but nothing that should have caused a issue, when I turned the grill off it continued, I did not spray water in it as I didn't want the pellets to turn to concrete. They spent two days going back and forth only to say it's not there problem and there is nothing wrong, grill is only a couple months old, no grease in it, clean, no mods of any kind, I am livid, I have told everyone to buy a RT700, had friends over that have bought them, been a huge fan boy...

Should have bought a shitty $300 smoker if I would have known it was going to be like this, so much for customer service...
ease fire caused this? When was the interior last scraped clean? (Just asking)

Glad there is a happy ending and the user learned more about his grill!

I have had a few cases of smoke coming from the Bullseye and 700 hoppers. It is good to be attentive when grilling and not totally rely on the app. I just run the auger for a few seconds more on the Bullseye to clear the smoldering pellets from the auger tip. On the 700 I have placed foil over the air intake in the back on windy days to choke out the hopper smoke. The best fix I discovered is to just run the shutdown cycle again on the 700, or shutdown at a lower temp on windy days.

There needs to be more spacing between the bottom of the fire pot and the auger chute for a more user friendly grill. Keep the fire pot cleaned out for now and shutdown only from under say 300° F.

I also am curious about why the Pit Boss pellets are not recommended. My local Menard’s now stocks them at $14.99/40lbs. Wayyyyy less then the Recteq and Cooking Pellets brands that I have been using.

Last edited:
I also am curious about why the Put Boss pellets are not recommended. My local Menard’s now stocks them at $14.99/40lbs. Wayyyyy less then the Recteq and Cooking Pellets brands that I have been using.
I've been using Pit Boss pellets for a long while without issues.

I've been using Pit Boss pellets for a long while without issues.

I used them in my Traeger without issue, but they were never my favorite. Traeger pellets are good, but one of the more expensive options out there.

Since Tractor Supply started carrying Bear Mountain, that's what I use in the Bull. Just picked up a bag of Kingsford pellets at Walmart to try out. I'm probably just going to use Bear Mountain Gourmet blend since it pairs with anything pretty well and the hopper is not easy to empty.

I really wish the Recteq's had a hopper chute to quickly change out pellets. I really liked the ability to quickly change out pellets in my Traeger, so that is one thing I miss.

After reading past posts on the Forum, when I have a cook above 400 I will set the temp to 225 leave the lid up and wait for the unit to cool down before shutting it down. It has worked so far!

After reading past posts on the Forum, when I have a cook above 400 I will set the temp to 225 leave the lid up and wait for the unit to cool down before shutting it down. It has worked so far!
Smart move (y)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back