Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
Thought you all might be interested. It’s lined with fire brick, a grill g rate, a removable steel plate, and a concrete floor. It’s currently a mess, having not been used in years. Anyone ever cook on one of these?

IMG_2200.jpeg
IMG_2199.jpeg

Cooked on one off and on at my home/dad's place most my life when in Texas. Love that style fireplace/cooker. I assume theres a cleanout or vent in the back at fire level. If not its something to think aboutwhen theres no air movement. I'd do 3 things:, clean the chimney, pavers in the front on the lawn to aid with cleanup and sparks and put raw stock rebar under the top grate. Then clean it out good, do a burn run then start cooking. Oh and get or make a shorty hoe and a rake. Good luck.

Thought you all might be interested. It’s lined with fire brick, a grill g rate, a removable steel plate, and a concrete floor. It’s currently a mess, having not been used in years. Anyone ever cook on one of these?

View attachment 21835View attachment 21836
My dad built one in tn the 50s in our back yard in San Antonio Texas. His BBQ was awesome. Biggest reason I don't like smoked meat. I can't get anything to taste good on my Bullseye. However, everyone else loves the smoked meat I make. I don't think I will ever like smoked meat.

Cooked on one off and on at my home/dad's place most my life when in Texas. Love that style fireplace/cooker. I assume theres a cleanout or vent in the back at fire level. If not its something to think aboutwhen theres no air movement. I'd do 3 things:, clean the chimney, pavers in the front on the lawn to aid with cleanup and sparks and put raw stock rebar under the top grate. Then clean it out good, do a burn run then start cooking. Oh and get or make a shorty hoe and a rake. Good luck.
I didn’t see any vent in the back, which is why I posted here asking how to use it. I don’t see how it could draw air at all. We are heading back to Kentucky in an hour and we won’t be back for a couple of months, but I will check again. Thanks for the info-appreciated!

Ribs and steaks!
Steaks, absolutely! Ribs, I’ve never cooked ribs on an open fire before so I don’t know how badly I could screw that up. I’m thinking my Yoder wood fired oven may fit on here, which would make for some interesting possibilities if I can get it hot enough.

Tri-tip!

Me being a tinkerer, I'd probably make up a stainless arch top cover, front cover with draft vents, thermometer, and electronic draft controller, vented coal grate, grill elevator....and maybe provisions for a color TV. :D

I didn’t see any vent in the back, which is why I posted here asking how to use it. I don’t see how it could draw air at all. We are heading back to Kentucky in an hour and we won’t be back for a couple of months, but I will check again. Thanks for the info-appreciated
The vent isn't a big loss. The solid plate was for coals on ours, like the bottom of a city park grill. Use the hoe to push dying coals to the back and feed the front. When using as a fireplace put the plate on the grate and build fire at the back and use rake to pull coals to the front. Seems counterintuitive but it keeps the harsh smoke at the back/chimney and throws heat from the front.

Cobia, my FNL (RIP) loved cobia. Interesting you mentioned it. He used to go to the Gulf to fish them, but talk about weather conditions being critical if fishing just off shore.

I return you back to the topic. 🙃

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back