Ribeye Cap Steak Rolls...oh how I miss you already.

Texas_TL

Last week, my family and I were road tripping from Texas to Minnesota and many of our stops were at Costco for cheaper fuel and to check out what they had that our local stores in the Austin, TX area didn't have. Part of this was so I could pick up a bottle of Kirkland Bourbon since the Texas Costco's only have attached 3rd party liquor stores and not Costco owned liquor stores...the other part was the search for the ever elusive Ribeye Cap Steak Rolls that I've seen people post on various Facebook groups.

I found them! Minneapolis, MN had tons of these in stock when I stopped by there a couple of times (on the way there and on the way back) and I picked up a pack to grill at the cabin we rented near Duluth.

Wow...these things were AMAZING. I did not have a pellet grill, so I busted out the old school kettle grill that was available at the cabin and fired up some charcoal briquettes.

I was an idiot and decided to not try and get some back to TX in my small cooler since we'd be traveling for 3 more days as we headed south and have now regretted it ever since. I was able to find the ribeye cap steaks at Wild Fork Foods, but at almost $40 / lb vs the $19 at Costco and for that price point, we're pushing the budget for my family of 4 since this would be $80 worth of meat for one meal.

I talked to the Costco butcher at my local Costco and he said they haven't had them in 2-3 years and I told him about finding them in MN and he was shocked. I did take the time to submit a request at Costco for them to be brought back, at least periodically. If I ever spot these again, I'll be stocking up. If you haven't had them, take the opportunity whenever you see them! They're worth it.

Sadly, this photo is the only photo I got of the dinner that night when they were about 1/2 way through cooking. When they were done, they looked like a nicely browned hamburger patty from the outside, but inside were a perfect medium rare and oh so tender and delicious.

1 (9).jpeg

Thank you for sharing! Was it the Minneapolis business center where you found them, or a different Twin Cities store? We have a lot of good Costco options up here 🙂.

It's not nice to brag...have any trips planned to Austin, TX? :ROFLMAO:

It was technically the Eagan store. We stayed in Eagan a couple of nights and that one was close to our hotel.
Thank you! As it turns out, that’s not far from me. Road trip to Austin!!

Those are one of the best things to find at Costco. I'll be in Austin for the F1 race in October. I wonder how many they'll let me bring on a plane for you!?:ROFLMAO:

They are, indeed, deeelicious! My local Costco (Bellingham, WA) frequently has them available. And, when they do, several packages mysteriously appear in my freezer. ;)

I’m hopeful that they’ll be available in NC in Sep. if so, I’m visiting a friend there and will stock up, have him vacuum seal / freeze them so I can bring them in my luggage…

Ahh, the “King of Beef”, “Spinalis Dorsi”, “best cut ever”, discovery. Glad you were able to find them. My local stores (SoCal) keep them regularly stocked and I do also. I probably have 30 of them vacuum sealed in the freezer and another 10 that are Wagyu A-5. They are great and I had them 2 times last week (don’t hate me, I was too lazy to cook anything else). It is interesting because they cut them from the prime ribeye steaks which seems like a downgrade when you buy ribeyes, but at least you can get them. If you want the full ribeye with the cap attached, you have to buy Costco’s lower grade meats. I like to smoke and reverse sear them when I have time because the fat captures the full smokey flavor very well. I also like to put them on the sear burner on my Lynx 36” and quick cook them at 1100F because it renders the fat into a buttery consistency and takes them to the next level. I hope you can get them locally because once you have had them, all other cuts pale in comparison. I even prefer them to a prime filet if because they are so flavor rich.

Just my thoughts, grill on!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back