Minimum Feed Rate App Restriction

navydroid

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Trailblazer
Has anyone noticed they cannot adjust their minimum feed rate above 6.5 with the app now. You have to do it manually on the controller. I contacted Rec Tec about the new restriction. Let them know what you think at [email protected] .

Below is the correspondence:

Me:
Is there a reason the app will only allow me to take the Aug speed to 6.5 and no higher? If I want to go higher, I have to manually adjust the settings. There was not a restriction on the older app.

Them:
What issue are you trying to solve that requires adjustment of the auger minimum feed rate above 6.5? Really poor quality pellets that are losing fire and cause the grill to relight is the only reason to raise the minimum feed rate.

Me:
I never said there was an issue. More of a question as to why? You could increase auger feed rate minimum to get up to higher temps faster if you want. I'm just saying it was a feature that was unrestricted. Why would Rec Tec put a restriction on it in the app when there was none before. I can't imagine anyone requesting that? It's still adjustable manually so it's all good I guess.

Them:
The need to go above 6.5 is very rare and we were having to handle tech calls for people that were adjusting above 6.5 and not being able to hold low temps in hot weather. It really was limited so we can help customers not screw up their grill.

Me:
It is what it is I guess. I will put a request in the forum for more people to respond if they feel the same way. If the response is minimal then I'll have to surrender my freedom to manipulate my auger minimum feed rate to the stupidity of the masses.

End of correspondence.

If I understand correctly, you don't have a issue persay, other than the option is no longer available on the app, even though it's still possible at the control board.
I can see minimum feed rate adjustments in Hot weather to keep lower grill temps.
But, I don't see the need in cold weather to increase it, as you'd only need to turn the regular temp adjustment up to accomplish the needed temp.
And I also understand that you are not responsible for others actions that CS had to correct.
My2¢>>> I see both sides of it.

I certainly can understand both sides as well and I certainly don't fault RecTec for removing the option from the app.

We're still very much able to adjust the feed rate to our liking, through the controller directly, they (RecTec) has just removed the very easy option from the app - which also appears to be a direct correlation between that app feature and a high volume of support tickets.

To me it seems Rec Tec is making the app even better by doing this. If for nothing else it is removing the easy to do and access feature from most people that really don't need and/or understand how to use it.

And for those that REALLY do need to do it, can still do it - they just have to get up off the couch. :D ;)

At the risk of sounding cynical (you Unc?) informed people aren't the problem, however, uninformed people can sometimes be very creative in making problems occur. Have you ever read customer feedbacks or FAQ responses, particularly the negative ones? One example; a customer complaining that the cast iron pan they just received is a piece of junk because it rusted so badly after the first time they ran it through their dishwasher. :rolleyes: I'm sure you each can think of others as exemplary. RT needs to cover their butt, and manage the amount of "overload" they get on the tech help line. Unfortunately some of that will "spoil" it for the better informed.

"One example; a customer complaining that the cast iron pan they just received is a piece of junk because it rusted so badly after the first time they ran it through their dishwasher. "

Wait... you're not supposed to put those in the dishwasher? :p
J/K, love my 20+ year old cast iron skillet, would never subject it to a dishwasher...

It's really no different than warning labels right, at one point in time someone used the product in a fashion it wasn't designed for and hurt themselves or someone else....

Summer:Feed Rate at 30
Winter:Feed Rate at 65

If you need to raise your feed rate above 6.5 (65) it's ONLY because the quality of the pellet is 'that' poor. This almost never happens. (If it does, buy some new pellets, or adjust it manually on the controller) It's better to have a governor on the app for the main group of users to protect them from accidentally messing with a feed rate setting unknowingly, then to have the free will to adjust it with no purpose.

A non-issue! If you want a quicker warm up that setting won't help you. Period. When you set the temp at start up, if it is set at above the lowest setting , the pellet feed is already above the minimum feed rate. That control does not add pellets at higher settings. It just adds more at the lowest setting on your control. But--if you want a faster warmup then set the temp at Ful when you start up and it will run as fast as it can go--then when it is almost at your desired temp, then turn it back down to that temp. Works! When I want to go to 500* I set it on FUL and when it gets to around 490 or so I turn it down to 500* on my 590. As I recall it saves about 10 to 12 minutes, maybe more on cold days.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back