Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
recteq posted a video on Facebook on February 16, 2021 titled Lunch Break: Mardi Gras Week: Ray’s Cajun Lime Chicken Sandwich… where Ray Carnes, co-founder of rectec appeared on the show. At the 32:20 minute mark, Ray was asked a question about the minimum feed rate on the grills. I later recommend to the folks at recteq that they take this portion of the video and post it in a separate video, on YouTube, as there is so much misunderstanding on what the minimum feed rate does, and does not do. I don’t know if,they will do that or not, but please, if you have questions about minimum feed rate or before you offer advise to new users here on minimum feed rate, view this video at the 32:20 mark and then contact recteq support at 706.922.0890 if you have questions about setting the feed rate for your grill.

Now edited to post the link to the video on YouTube.

Link to the Facebook post

Link to the video on YouTube

Last edited:
recteq posted a video on Facebook on February 16, 2021 titled Launch Break: Mardi Gras Week: Ray’s Cajun Lime Chicken Sandwich… where Ray Carnes, co-founder of rectec appeared on the show. At the 32:20 minute mark, Ray was asked a question about the minimum feed rate on the grills. I later recommend to the folks at recteq that they take this portion of the video and post it in a separate video, on YouTube, as there is so much misunderstanding on what the minimum feed rate does, and does not do. I don’t know if,they will do that or not, but please, if you have questions about minimum feed rate or before you offer advise to new users here on minimum feed rate, view this video at the 32:20 mark and then contact recteq support at 706.922.0890 if you have questions about setting the feed rate for your grill.

Link to the Facebook post
Great post and fully agree!

The only time I have adjusted my feed rate was when I was cooking in direct sunlight in the summertime. Other than that, it's at the factory setting. I figured those guys engineered and built these things and other than a minor tweak, or two, which they obviously allowed for in their set up capabilities, they know best.

The full episode of the video is now up on YouTube, which is easier to navigate videos than is Facebook IMO. The entire video is good, but FF to the 32:20 mark for the minimum feed rate discussion.

YouTube link

I love their videos but 50+ minutes is way too long for my short attention span😂

That was a good explanation of the the feed rate. It helps a person understand how the controller works.

But I still call CAP when talking about the Bullseye controller.

I also call CAP when they say they haven't changed theirs. I have to keep my Trailblazer on minimum feed in the summer to keep low temps. In fact I have kept my trailblazer at minimum all winter and it is holding temp just fine.

If it wasn't necessary why would it be there!!

Don't take this wrong I love my Trailblazer and have had no issues with that grill.

I have learned to tolerate the Bullseye but think the controller needs a redesign.

I have the RT-700. About a year and a half now. I have never even looked at what the feed rate is set at. I unpacked it, plugged it in, loaded pellets, and let ‘er rip. Rock solid every time. As they say, if it aint broke.........

Same here but only had mine a few months.. Not sure how to even look at that. It has just worked.

Changing the feed rate on my grill was magical. Every child in a half mile radius suddenly learned calculus, a pesky patch of crabgrass went away, and water turned into BBQ sauce. Hallelujah!!
When I changed the feed rate on the Bullseye I'd describe it as a religious experience. YMMV

I have to keep my Trailblazer on minimum feed in the summer to keep low temps.

They didn't say you should never run your grill at minimum feed rate, they said you should never adjust your minimum feed rate unless directed to by a support tech. Two very different things.

If you're setting the grill for a low temp and it won't stay there (it runs hotter), then call support and they'll guide you on how to lower the feed rate setting to get down to your desired temp without risking a flameout. Once that adjustment has been made, you will not need to adjust it again.

They didn't say you should never run your grill at minimum feed rate, they said you should never adjust your minimum feed rate unless directed to by a support tech. Two very different things.

If you're setting the grill for a low temp and it won't stay there (it runs hotter), then call support and they'll guide you on how to lower the feed rate setting to get down to your desired temp without risking a flameout. Once that adjustment has been made, you will not need to adjust it again.
Well said @hemp

Is there any way I could possibly set the RT-700 in a way that would allow me to maintain 150 degrees?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back