Meater Block question

BadgerFan

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I bought the MEATER Block with 4 probes. I plugged in the unit to charge, and I have no idea if it's charged. There's no light that comes on that might shows it's red/not charged, and when fully charged turns to green, or something like this. Is there something I didn't do?

I bought the MEATER Block with 4 probes. I plugged in the unit to charge, and I have no idea if it's charged. There's no light that comes on that might shows it's red/not charged, and when fully charged turns to green, or something like this. Is there something I didn't do?
I don’t think that’s a charging port for the batteries. It takes 4-AA batteries or it can be powered by that USB port.

Yeah, the only thing the usb charges is the 4 probes and it says to charge for at least 8 hours. I just wish there was a light that indicates they are charging and when fully charged the light turns green or another color. It also says to charge the probes with the unit turned off. Or maybe there is a light and something isn't right with the unit. I've reached out to there MEATER people but haven't heard back. I wish you could call them but email looks to be the only way to communicate.

Gotcha. I assumed the USB charger was only for optional power supply for the base unit during a cook. I have the MEATER +, and there is no charger for it. The MEATER + does have a button on the base that indicates connection/charge status. I’m surprised the Block doesn’t have the battery status on screen.

I'm surprised they don't include a charging cable or power unit but most people have them anyways so not a big deal really. I think it does say to plug the base in for long cooks.

Yeah the meater block doesn't have a charging circuit going to the batteries, but you can run it plugged into the wall with the USB power supply. Batteries run a long time though, I change mine maybe twice a year.

Also of note - Traeger bought meater! Some new stuff coming out from them around that, curious to see what they do with it (their new flagship grills directly connect to Meaters)

I saw the new Traeger Timberline XL a couple of days ago. They have two wired probes but you also get two wireless Meater probes tha connect to the controller with the grill.

I saw the new Traeger Timberline XL a couple of days ago. They have two wired probes but you also get two wireless Meater probes tha connect to the controller with the grill.
Yup, as @azklaus mentioned Traeger owns MEATER now, so I would expect to see a lot of integration between their grills and the probes in the future. As a side note, that Timberline XL looks like a very nice grill, but $3,800? Pretty lofty price point.

Yup, as @azklaus mentioned Traeger owns MEATER now, so I would expect to see a lot of integration between their grills and the probes in the future. As a side note, that Timberline XL looks like a very nice grill, but $3,800? Pretty lofty price point.
Yeah, I saw the price and the first thing I thought was there was absolutely no way I would ever spend that amount on a Traeger.

I'm curious to see what the future brings for Meater under Traeger's ownership. Part of me is happy that it was bought by a company and not an investor looking only at money but I do wonder if they will start making them cheaper.

I really wanted to like Meater...and I still do (sort of). It's kind of like that other startup that's been mentioned here (that I already forgot). I bought the Meater+ well before a RecTeq and while it worked well in the house, but outside without WiFi was disappointing. The .22 "bullet hole" in the meat at tableside was also a little off-putting. I told my grandson, "That's where I shot it," but my wife and daughter were somehow not amused.

I'm really looking forward to the Thermoworks, Fireboard, Inkbird, et al, embracing wireless probes. It's obviously just a matter of time...

Oh yeah, to get back on sort of topic. I saw that super-duper Traeger and thought it was kind of interesting...until the "introductory pricing" of almost $4K. That would pay for a lot of top quality meat and another freezer to store it.

The .22 "bullet hole" in the meat at tableside was also a little off-putting.
I couldn’t agree more on that point! Depending on the cut of meat, what I’m about to describe isn’t always practical. When I can, I insert the MEATER across the grain of the meat, the same way I’m going to slice it. Then the probe hole pretty much disappears at the table.

Does anyone have an issue with all 4 probes in the block working? I was prepping a brisket, ribs and 2 pork butts (block party) and was going to use the Meater but only 2 were "Discoverable". I used to 2 that were working and the 1250 probes and all went well. Still can't get the 1 & 2 probes to come on line.

Also, the 1250 did an outstanding job on my first brisket. Was a BIG hit at the party. Though probably hooked eternally into "chef" duties for the neighborhood.

Thanks, in advance, if anyone has any suggestions for probes not working.

Aloha

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back