Meater 2+ arrived today

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
After returning my Combustion Inc. probes, I ordered a Meater 2+, primarily for rotisserie cooks, and it arrived today. I like what I am seeing!

After activating the charger (by pulling the insulating tab at the battery), I let the probe charge while I downloaded the Meater app. Setup was probably the easiest app setup I have ever experienced. It walked me through the connection to my wifi network in a few simple steps and connected immediately. Pulled the probe out of the charger and the ambient and internal temps appeared immediately.

Then, my heart almost stopped; a message appeared telling me I needed to update the firmware. After my previous experience with firmware updates, I was hesitant—but, took the plunge anyway. The upgrade took about one minute to complete and the app picked up right where it left off. Whew!!!

The app is elegant in its simplicity and appears easy to use. It has a bunch of suggested cook setups based on various types of meat which I may or may not use much, but also has a “custom cook” option where you can do whatever you want. And, it appears to have cook data tracking capability that I will need to explore.

The probe diameter appears about the same size as the CIPT and the stated dimension is 5mm vs 4.8mm on the CIPT. I like the all-metal look with just a slim ceramic ring below the head. I had some smoke-stain issues with the yellow ceramic head on the CIPT.

I like the fact that the charger operates off of a single AAA battery vs being charged via a USB port. Some may prefer the USB, but I prefer the simplicity of just popping a fresh AAA battery in when needed. Claimed battery life is 1 year; good enough for me.

Obviously, I haven’t had a chance to use the Meater 2+ on a cook yet, but I’m looking forward to doing so. YMMV

Last edited:
After returning my Combustion Inc. probes, I ordered a Meater 2+, primarily for rotisserie cooks, and it arrived today. I like what I am seeing!

After activating the charger (by pulling the insulating tab at the battery), I let the probe charge while I downloaded the Meater app. Setup was probably the easiest app setup I have ever experienced. It walked me through the connection to my wifi network in a few simple steps and connected immediately. Pulled the probe out of the charger and the ambient and internal temps appeared immediately.

Then, my heart almost stopped; a message appeared telling me I needed to update the firmware. After my previous experience with firmware updates, I was hesitant—but, took the plunge anyway. The upgrade took about one minute to complete and the app picked up right where it left off. Whew!!!

The app is elegant in its simplicity and appears easy to use. It has a bunch of suggested cook setups based on various types of meat which I may or may not use much, but also has a “custom cook” option where you can do whatever you want. And, it appears to have cook data tracking capability that I will need to explore.

The probe diameter appears about the same size as the CIPT and the stated dimension is 5mm vs 4.8mm on the CIPT. I like the all-metal look with just a slim ceramic ring below the head. I had some smoke-stain issues with the yellow ceramic head on the CIPT.

I like the fact that the charger operates off of a single AAA battery vs being charged via a USB port. Some may prefer the USB, but I prefer the simplicity of just popping a fresh AAA battery in when needed. Claimed battery life is 1 year; good enough for me.

Obviously, I haven’t had a chance to use the Meater 2+ on a cook yet, but I’m looking forward to doing so. YMMV
Jim6820,

I am anxiously awaiting your review. I have owned the MEATER Block with 4 probes for a couple of years. It works as advertised when you are dealing with glass, aluminum and similar items (pizza oven with glass front door, Weber kettle, and other thinner meterials. Where it falls short of expectations for me is the inability to consistently transmit when encased in 304 and higher grades of stainless steel, and the battery life for the probes during long cooks. Let us know what you think.

Well, I’m finally putting the new Meater 2+ to work. Just put a 3# chuck roast on the grill for a slow smoke. I have inserted both the Meater 2+ probe and two TW needle probes for the Signals. At startup, all probes were within 5F of each other. They are 1-1/2-2” apart, so some difference is to be expected. I put the Meater 2+ in what I would consider the preferred position and, interestingly enough, it pretty much split the temp difference.

The Meater 2+ repeater/charger (or whatever the heck they call it) magnetically attached to the front of the RT-340 display panel, sitting just above the grill display screen. I had previously downloaded the app and connected it to my home network. The probe instantly connected when I opened the app and is working great.

My grill is about 25’ from my wireless router and the same approximate distance from my favorite chair. I walked to the back of the house, which is about 60’ (and several walls) away from the grill and it did drop out at that joint. I was prompted to “move closer to the Meater charger.” About halfway back to my favorite chair, it reconnected and picked up where it left off. That was 35-40’ from the grill/charger. This is plenty of distance for me, but may not be for others.

Within 30 minutes of starting the cook, the predictive algorithm gave me an estimated cook completion time. In about an hour, I will be raising the grill temp from LO (180F) to 275F, so we’ll see how quickly it adjusts.

More later.

Last edited:
The Meater 2+ worked well and the chuck roast turned out great.

IMG_2655.jpeg

We made sliced brisket-style sandwiches on fresh Ciabatta rolls—delicious. The bark on the chuck roast was incredible.

So, what did I learn about the Meater 2+? First, it worked as advertised with no hiccups. The fact that internal temperature is displayed in degrees—and tenths of a degree—lets you get a visual handle on how fast temperature is rising. And, the all-metal probe (with a thin ceramic ring just below the head) cleaned up easily.

The predictive algorithm worked fine, but was not quite as quick to calculate and/or update as the CIPT was. I think I will get used to it and it will serve my needs.

Overall, I was very satisfied with my first experience using the Meater 2+.

Of course, I had to brave the 50’ round-trip walk to the patio and back to manually start the RT-340. While I was at the grill, I also manually set the temperature, though the RT app will still let me do that online. On the plus side, I was able to turn the RT-340 off from the comfort of my Lazy Boy recliner, so I guess all is not lost. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jim6820,

Thank you for the review. I was especially intrigued by the range test you performed. Do you know if they have the 4 probe version released? Also, if you have a chance, can you do a review of the battery’s charge time in the real world. When I test, I put the probes in a glass of ice water and leave it on all night? I would like to know how long the battery in the probes lasts. One final question, do you know if the probes are fully immersible? Thanks in advance.

@SmokeZilla, it does not appear that the 2+ version is yet available in the 4-probe block. The range specs are different for the “Block” and 2+ probes. I can tell you that the 2+ probes are rated as “fully submersible and can be used in Sous Vide. At this point, it appears to me that the charge times cited in the literature (5 minutes for a 2-hour cook and 15 minutes for a 12-hour cook) appear to be pretty accurate. A 10-minute charge got me through a 5-hour cook today with no issues.

I will do the probe battery life test you referenced and will post the results.

@SmokeZilla, it does not appear that the 2+ version is yet available in the 4-probe block. The range specs are different for the “Block” and 2+ probes. I can tell you that the 2+ probes are rated as “fully submersible and can be used in Sous Vide. At this point, it appears to me that the charge times cited in the literature (5 minutes for a 2-hour cook and 15 minutes for a 12-hour cook) appear to be pretty accurate. A 10-minute charge got me through a 5-hour cook today with no issues.

I will do the probe battery life test you referenced and will post the results.
Jim6820,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am looking forward to any future feedback you have as you continue to work with the 2+.

Spent some time today with the two Meater 2+ probes I recently purchased. Got both connected to the app and wondered how I could tell them apart as I have not—at least, yet—found any identification specific to an individual probe in the app display.

I had some colored ThermoWorks High Temp Probe Rings (https://www.thermoworks.com/high-temp-probe-rings/) in the “junk drawer” and found that they fit nicely on the Meater 2+ probes.

IMG_2676.jpeg

Best of all, they didn’t prevent the probes from properly seating in the charger, so they don’t have to be removed.

IMG_2678.jpeg

So, I now have a way to tell the probes apart when I use them both at the same time.

IMG_2684.jpeg

When setting up a cook, the first probe removed from the charger will be at the top of the app display. Remembering—or writing down :rolleyes:—the color of the ring on the first probe will let me differentiate between the two.

At least, that’s my hope. I will be cooking a 10# packer brisket on Saturday, so we’ll put my scheme to the test; one probe in the point and one in the flat. And, as the photos show, I’ve labeled each charger with the probe color, though I’m not sure it makes all that much difference.

Last edited:
Well, better than I had hoped. Both probes remain visible on the app and stay in the same position, even when disconnected. I thought they would go away and reappear when again activated.

As a result, I now know that the top probe in the app is the one with the yellow ring and the bottom one has the green ring. I have now labeled the chargers to reflect that so if—OK, when—I have a “senior moment” I’ll still know which is which. ;)

IMG_2687.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back