Meater 2 Plus Announced

I'm very happy to hear that your pup is ok. The furry family members are very special and most days I like them better than my actual family members.

Was the probe still operational after the surgery or didn't you try it out?

The worst part about the initial MEATER is that the prediction times are way off. I just got a notice that my beef filet will be ready in 22 minutes. Just started it about 10 minuets ago, so nope.
What I've noticed on mine is that until the meat's interior temperature starts coming up, the Meater just doesn't estimate anything. No surprises there, it has to see temperature movement before it can start calculating.

If I'm cooking a Boston Butt, it's gonna be on the grill for 5'ish +/- hours anyway. I don't really care if I'm seeing cooking time calculations or not in the first of those five hours.

What I've noticed on mine is that until the meat's interior temperature starts coming up, the Meater just doesn't estimate anything. No surprises there, it has to see temperature movement before it can start calculating.

If I'm cooking a Boston Butt, it's gonna be on the grill for 5'ish +/- hours anyway. I don't really care if I'm seeing cooking time calculations or not in the first of those five hours.
Yes, agree. I used to like the start to cook to rest history data that the tailed probes, but for the battery powered ones that isn’t always realistic.

I'm very happy to hear that your pup is ok. The furry family members are very special and most days I like them better than my actual family members.

Was the probe still operational after the surgery or didn't you try it out?
It was still operational. In fact that is how I confirmed it was in her. Sent her outside, I lost connection. She comes back in, ding, connected. Wife wouldn't let me keep when vet offered it back.

Looks like they addressed a lot of the issues - including higher temps for cooking over direct flame.
https://store-us.meater.com/product...m=announcement-bar&utm_campaign=meater-2-plus
Mine arrived yesterday. Don't have any high temp cooks scheduled this week, but will be using it for smoking tomorrow. Making Queso birria Taco's. Picked up a Chuck Roast to smoke tomorrow morning. Then I'll cut it up into large chunks, Sear on the flattop and into the slow cooker for about 5 or 6 hours in a beef consommé with onions and garlic, peppers and tomato. - Then shred and serve!

P.S. Poor Puppy

Last edited:
I got my meater 2 plus Friday. Setup is really easy. I did a salmon filet and chicken thighs in the offset. The connection issues I had were completely gone. It does indeed have a better range. Better temperature and 5 measuring points in the probe. Also with the cloud I can monitor long cooks in the Recteq off-site which is better than any of the other probes.
If I had to pick a flaw it would be the ambient air temp was slow to adjust and I'm better off with a wired probe to help monitor the fire in the offset. Although that won't be a problem in the bull or bullseye.
Overall super impressed how they fixed any and all issues I had with the previous meater plus. IMO it is worth the upgrade. I would buy another, but waiting on the 2 plus block to come out.

New MEATER + version 2 arrived yesterday. Still haven’t cooked with it, but here are the specs on my 3 wireless probes. Picture of the pork loin is pre-cooked yesterday and punctured today with the probes. From L-R, the Combustion CPT, the MEATER Plus vs 2, and the original MEATER Plus. The diameters as measured by my Starrett dial caliper is .188, .195, and .235.
IMG_1995.jpeg
IMG_1996.jpeg

New MEATER + version 2 arrived yesterday. Still haven’t cooked with it, but here are the specs on my 3 wireless probes. Picture of the pork loin is pre-cooked yesterday and punctured today with the probes. From L-R, the Combustion CPT, the MEATER Plus vs 2, and the original MEATER Plus. The diameters as measured by my Starrett dial caliper is .188, .195, and .235.
View attachment 20582View attachment 20583
Wholly loins 🤣. Interesting to actually see the picture. TY.

Dial caliper? Not a Starrett micrometer? 🤣 Thanks for the photos; the visuals are helpful.
Nope, the only mics I have left from my machinist days are a set of inside and a set of depth mics. Someone else wanted my outside mics more than me, so they found a new home. I worked as a machinist during my first years off the farm. Paid for my undergraduate education at Ohio State!

Correction , I do still have a rogue 0-1” Mitutoyo outside mic, also measuring .188 on the CPT! I also have multiple Kennedy tool chests, but my first one turned 50 years old earlier this year.
IMG_1997.jpeg

I also have multiple Kennedy tool chests, but my first one turned 50 years old earlier this year.
I have a pair of Kennedy chests; one about the same vintage as your 50-year-old one. And a bunch of Starrett mics and calipers that I inherited from my FIL. He was a tugboat captain on San Francisco Bay (week on 24/7, week off) and a darned good machinist on his weeks off. Very interesting guy and I miss him. Whenever I start some kind of machine work, I ask myself “How would the Captain do this?”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back