Masterbuilt Gravity Series

I've got a neighbor with 4 of them, he started with 2 and had so many problems right before a competition he had to buy 2 more. We joke and call them MasterShits. He's wanting to buy a Yoder now and is sick of the masterbuilt gravity fed and all the issues and mainly the support from masterbuilt.

His issues:
Controller going out
Probe not working
Firebox burning out
And at the last competition, charcoal sparks flying out of the firebox area near the fan.

He's seriously had nothing but problems with all 4 of them.

I suspect like any product the early units might have some issues until they massage them.

The firebrick shipping supports is stated right in the manual that is expected and normal. For those that prefer to do so you can purchase aftermarket heavy duty stainless liners.

For the fan area.. similar to above, you can purchase a slide mod to prevent charcoal making its way into the fan area.

I did both of them above right away as I did some research on these units. Like any brand there are mods you can do to either extend life on certain things or improve to your likings.

If he was in competitions, I assume he was aware of the capability of the unit. Shame he did not take advantage of the improvements he could have made to make a more enjoyable unit for competition.

The last round of food I made was perhaps my best ever. Since I got the MB I have not used my Bull once and other than for the reason of cooking space alone.. the Bull would be looking for a new home and still may. I prefer charcoal flavor for pretty much everything.

Did he sell them?

First cook in and I’m buying it. Wow! That is the smoke flavor I’ve been missing. I moved to pellet/RT from a WSM. I wanted the convenience of pellets. I think I forgot what “real” smoke flavor was.

Did a rev sear on 2 Prime NYS. Smoked til about 100 IT (45 mins) at 180. Then cranked it up to 600 for a quick sear. Came out perfect med rare. The smoke flavor was intense. Almost 2 intense since I think I’ve been desensitized over the past few years. Wife did say that they were the best steaks I had cooked in a while.

I put a mesquite split in the hopper with briquettes and 2 chunks of hickory in the ash pan. No denying the smoke flavor is far deeper than I could ever get on my RT.

I think I needed to wait a bit longer for the grates to heat up before the sear, or I need to turn it up to 700. It seared and sizzled, just not the deep lines I had hoped for. I haven’t checked yet as to whether the RT GrillGrates fit. That could be another way to get some better sears. One thing is for sure, getting up to temp is a breeze with this thing. I estimated <5 mins to go from 180 to 600!

I did get an error early in the cook while trying to smoke at 150. But it was still blowing so I just turned off the unit and back on and no issues. The app is definitely not super great. But it allowed me to adjust the temp remotely so that I could time the steaks to the baked potatoes I had in the oven.

I expect to run into issues with the door switches, but I remain optimistic. Based on the flavor profile I got today, I cannot wait to put a roast on this thing for a true low and slow cook. Might actually have to cut back on the amount of wood I load.

Anyway, successful first cook!

IMG_3050.jpeg

IMG_3051.jpeg

IMG_3052.jpeg

First cook in and I’m buying it. Wow! That is the smoke flavor I’ve been missing. I moved to pellet/RT from a WSM. I wanted the convenience of pellets. I think I forgot what “real” smoke flavor was.

Did a rev sear on 2 Prime NYS. Smoked til about 100 IT (45 mins) at 180. Then cranked it up to 600 for a quick sear. Came out perfect med rare. The smoke flavor was intense. Almost 2 intense since I think I’ve been desensitized over the past few years. Wife did say that they were the best steaks I had cooked in a while.

I put a mesquite split in the hopper with briquettes and 2 chunks of hickory in the ash pan. No denying the smoke flavor is far deeper than I could ever get on my RT.

I think I needed to wait a bit longer for the grates to heat up before the sear, or I need to turn it up to 700. It seared and sizzled, just not the deep lines I had hoped for. I haven’t checked yet as to whether the RT GrillGrates fit. That could be another way to get some better sears. One thing is for sure, getting up to temp is a breeze with this thing. I estimated <5 mins to go from 180 to 600!

I did get an error early in the cook while trying to smoke at 150. But it was still blowing so I just turned off the unit and back on and no issues. The app is definitely not super great. But it allowed me to adjust the temp remotely so that I could time the steaks to the baked potatoes I had in the oven.

I expect to run into issues with the door switches, but I remain optimistic. Based on the flavor profile I got today, I cannot wait to put a roast on this thing for a true low and slow cook. Might actually have to cut back on the amount of wood I load.

Anyway, successful first cook!

View attachment 19366

View attachment 19367

View attachment 19368

Very cool!! I am really sold on mine as well although I did use the Bull with the GMG pizza attachment this evening. That is the first time I fired it up since I got the MB. Still have issues coming down from a high heat cook and always have. I stopped bothering support as they have not been helpful or really show care to resolve it.

Anyway.. I did also notice a lot more smoke at 180 on the MB also. I had been using it at 225 and I think it gets more efficient in that range and above so the smoke is lessened. I'm still trying different things so just some assumptions.

You are probably right.. the air temp comes up very quick but might need a few more minutes for the grates to heat up. Maybe try to give it a little more time before tossing them back on.

Glad you are enjoying it.. my only issue is space keeping everything (I have 5 all together including the Blackstone) and I'm really contemplating moving on from the Bull but the GMG pizza attachment is amazing.

Very cool!! I am really sold on mine as well although I did use the Bull with the GMG pizza attachment this evening. That is the first time I fired it up since I got the MB. Still have issues coming down from a high heat cook and always have. I stopped bothering support as they have not been helpful or really show care to resolve it.

Anyway.. I did also notice a lot more smoke at 180 on the MB also. I had been using it at 225 and I think it gets more efficient in that range and above so the smoke is lessened. I'm still trying different things so just some assumptions.

You are probably right.. the air temp comes up very quick but might need a few more minutes for the grates to heat up. Maybe try to give it a little more time before tossing them back on.

Glad you are enjoying it.. my only issue is space keeping everything (I have 5 all together including the Blackstone) and I'm really contemplating moving on from the Bull but the GMG pizza attachment is amazing.
Nice. I‘ve been eyeing up the MB pizza insert. But figured I’d wait til I got some cooks on it before investing any further.

I will definitely try to work on the sear a bit more. I‘m a crosshatch seeker so I usually go 1 min > turn > 1 min flip > repeat. I think if I just kept it 2 mins on each side without the turn, they would have been deeper. In either case, like any new cooker, its all about trying and learning.

I am curious about your issues with dropping from high heat cooks. You mean you are cooking higher and want to reduce the pit temp for a lower end cook, or you are having issues getting the fire to stop once you‘re done with the cook? So far, my fire has snuffed pretty quickly once I close everything off. Before walking in to eat the steaks today I turned off the controller, inserted the slides and by the time I finished dinner it was mostly snuffed (~30 mins).

I do think I might get the LSS ash pan slide to dump the remaining fuel in the hopper. Despite shaking the charcoal grate before my preheat today, it was having a really hard time reigniting the ashed over briquettes from the seasoning. I ended up dumping them all, salvaging the larger chunks and reloading the hopper. Started right up then.

Either way, I‘m happy so far. Looking forward to the next cook.

Nice. I‘ve been eyeing up the MB pizza insert. But figured I’d wait til I got some cooks on it before investing any further.

I will definitely try to work on the sear a bit more. I‘m a crosshatch seeker so I usually go 1 min > turn > 1 min flip > repeat. I think if I just kept it 2 mins on each side without the turn, they would have been deeper. In either case, like any new cooker, its all about trying and learning.

I am curious about your issues with dropping from high heat cooks. You mean you are cooking higher and want to reduce the pit temp for a lower end cook, or you are having issues getting the fire to stop once you‘re done with the cook? So far, my fire has snuffed pretty quickly once I close everything off. Before walking in to eat the steaks today I turned off the controller, inserted the slides and by the time I finished dinner it was mostly snuffed (~30 mins).

I do think I might get the LSS ash pan slide to dump the remaining fuel in the hopper. Despite shaking the charcoal grate before my preheat today, it was having a really hard time reigniting the ashed over briquettes from the seasoning. I ended up dumping them all, salvaging the larger chunks and reloading the hopper. Started right up then.

Either way, I‘m happy so far. Looking forward to the next cook.

For the pizza insert, I was using that on my Bull / 700 tonight not the MB.

Same for the issue reducing temp.. this is on the Bull not the MB. It is a problem for lowering before shutting down trying to avoid burn back just going from a high temp cook to just a shutdown.

Pic is what I’m getting and talking about.

IMG_4589.png

For the pizza insert, I was using that on my Bull / 700 tonight not the MB.

Same for the issue reducing temp.. this is on the Bull not the MB. It is a problem for lowering before shutting down trying to avoid burn back just going from a high temp cook to just a shutdown.

Pic is what I’m getting and talking about.

View attachment 19369
Ah! Gotcha. Sorry I got confused. Maybe it’s worth looking at the MB pizza oven insert? HAHA

I suspect like any product the early units might have some issues until they massage them.

The firebrick shipping supports is stated right in the manual that is expected and normal. For those that prefer to do so you can purchase aftermarket heavy duty stainless liners.

For the fan area.. similar to above, you can purchase a slide mod to prevent charcoal making its way into the fan area.

I did both of them above right away as I did some research on these units. Like any brand there are mods you can do to either extend life on certain things or improve to your likings.

If he was in competitions, I assume he was aware of the capability of the unit. Shame he did not take advantage of the improvements he could have made to make a more enjoyable unit for competition.

The last round of food I made was perhaps my best ever. Since I got the MB I have not used my Bull once and other than for the reason of cooking space alone.. the Bull would be looking for a new home and still may. I prefer charcoal flavor for pretty much everything.

Did he sell them?
He's not sold them yet, 2 are kind of taken apart and he's fighting with masterbuilt support to get replacement parts for and the other two are working but one is spitting sparks recently. I don't know a whole lot about the issues he's had TBH other than when he first got them he loved them but after a few cooks has had nothing but problems with them and MAJOR problems with support. His first two he was early adopter but the last two he's bought in the last 6 months or so and starting to have problems with both of them as well.

Genuine question…. Why would he keep buying them if they are shit?
I give him shit about this all the time but the reality is understandable, in competition you dial in your cook to what you have and if shit goes wrong with your pit a few days before the comp you either gotta learn something new and adjust or bite the bullet and run out and buy it again in an emergency to replace.

He's got the larger one and the mid sized one. First one that shit on him he started the support process in the off season and their support jerked him around for like 3 months and kept promising parts would be sent out, he trusted and they even ended up giving him a tracking number like the week before a comp but they shipped it to a completely different address, admitted they screwed up, promised overnight shipping and then failed to deliver on that. That all resulted in him buying the 3rd one right before a comp(and he's still screwing with support like a year later with masterbuilt on that original issue). The reason for buying the 4th was a similar issue of them sending out replacement parts that didn't fix the issue and coming up on a deadline for a comp.

Luckily the masterbuilts are cheap and I think all 4 he's bought he still spent less than I did on a 1250 with comp cart. Ultimately out of 4 masterbuilts he's got 2 not working and in pieces still troubleshooting with their support, one that just started spitting sparks all over the place in the middle of a competition and one that is working without problems(other than the firebox burning out which I guess is normal) for the time being.

Well I'm a few weeks into this thing. Admittedly, I've not gotten as many cooks on it yet as I had hoped... Freaking life getting in the way. That said, everything I've put through this thing - steaks, burgers, dogs, sausage have all turned out amazing. I have a party next weekend for which I'm going to have a couple pork butts for my first roast tests.

Knocking on wood, I've had absolutely no issues with this thing. The only hurdle has been restarting the grill when you have remaining charcoal from previous cooks. MB suggest shaking the hopper screen, but I've found, for me I often have to dump it completely, put a layer of fresh briquettes then dump the last ones on top with my wood of choice. Not a big deal, but makes me wish I had gotten the hopper chute from LSS Mods to make this easier, less messy.

And of course I had to do a "scientific" temperature mapping test on this thing cuz that's what I do. I'll put in another post because it will be longer...

The short of it... This MB is far more accurate, consistent, and balanced than my RT590.

Kinda like reusing the partial burned briquettes on the kettle, they start a lot better when i put new on the bottom of the chimney then mix the used with new for the rest of the load. It also adds to the startup time.

Kinda like reusing the partial burned briquettes on the kettle, they start a lot better when i put new on the bottom of the chimney then mix the used with new for the rest of the load. It also adds to the startup time.
Interesting. I’ve tried being frugal with partialy used briquettes/lump for many, many years in a BGE and more recently in my PK grill. My personal conclusion-life is too short to buy green bananas or to use leftover charcoal. I’m so done with slow heat up times and inconsistent temps. I find the partial burned briquettes have more value in my garden than in the grill! I’m open to suggestions as to what I should be doing differently, as I do tend to be (somewhat) frugal

Interesting. I’ve tried being frugal with partialy used briquettes/lump for many, many years in a BGE and more recently in my PK grill. My personal conclusion-life is too short to buy green bananas or to use leftover charcoal. I’m so done with slow heat up times and inconsistent temps. I find the partial burned briquettes have more value in my garden than in the grill! I’m open to suggestions as to what I should be doing differently, as I do tend to be (somewhat) frugal
I use leftover in the chimney, top off with however much new fits to top it off, light it and then go inside to prep for the cook. The fine ash is great for both the garden and the chicken coop, it's great for their skin.
For the BGE you've gotta clean out the old, throw in the new, then throw back in the old on top, already lit - from the chimney. The small stuff at the bottom blocks airflow thus the slow heat up.

This is intriguing. Have the RT590. Love it, but it is not the best for grilling. Was kust thinking about buying a gas or charcoal grill. How does ti work for grilling? RT590 will work, but once you open the lid, take too long to get back to temp.

This is intriguing. Have the RT590. Love it, but it is not the best for grilling. Was kust thinking about buying a gas or charcoal grill. How does ti work for grilling? RT590 will work, but once you open the lid, take too long to get back to temp.
Grill grates. My family loves steak off the recteq. It takes 2-3 times longer but it's really good.
Steak off the recteq is the most consistent outdoor steak I can cook, because It's low and slow for 30-40 minutes - then a reverse sear. I'm sure an 1800* sear is fantastic - but maybe only after you screw up a few steaks first ( I know I would).

Well I'm a few weeks into this thing. Admittedly, I've not gotten as many cooks on it yet as I had hoped... Freaking life getting in the way. That said, everything I've put through this thing - steaks, burgers, dogs, sausage have all turned out amazing. I have a party next weekend for which I'm going to have a couple pork butts for my first roast tests.

Knocking on wood, I've had absolutely no issues with this thing. The only hurdle has been restarting the grill when you have remaining charcoal from previous cooks. MB suggest shaking the hopper screen, but I've found, for me I often have to dump it completely, put a layer of fresh briquettes then dump the last ones on top with my wood of choice. Not a big deal, but makes me wish I had gotten the hopper chute from LSS Mods to make this easier, less messy.

And of course I had to do a "scientific" temperature mapping test on this thing cuz that's what I do. I'll put in another post because it will be longer...

The short of it... This MB is far more accurate, consistent, and balanced than my RT590.
Not seeing the hopper chute?

These units go from 200 to 450 in like a minute. No joke. Not like a pellet unit. And it does it well with no overshooting or under and holds it.

Chart on startup to 180.. like nothing.
IMG_4570.png

This forum and thread are incredible. Really appreciate you guys sharing your experiences. I'm a relatively novice smoker that is moving from originally a Weber Smoky Mountain to a Masterbuilt Electric, and now to either the RecTeq 590 or the Masterbuilt 800. I just can't decide. Build quality and customer support is really important to me, but the versatility of smoke quality of the Masterbuilt is attractive. I'm just stuck.

For build quality, warranty, ease of use and customer service it is hands down RecTeq. For versatility of smoke flavor/versatility I’d lean toward Masterbuilt. You have to decide which is more important to you.
One thing to remember when looking at the cost is that there are some aftermarket purchases you’re going to want to make for the Masterbuilt. The RecTeq is ready to go out of the box.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back