Masterbuilt Gravity Series

For build quality, warranty, ease of use and customer service it is hands down RecTeq. For versatility of smoke flavor/versatility I’d lean toward Masterbuilt. You have to decide which is more important to you.

This is it it in a nutshell.

Sorry to rekindle an old thread. Sitting out having my coffee I just wondered, do you leave charcoal in these after use and how does it perform if so? Also, any updates on how they are aging?

Sorry to rekindle an old thread. Sitting out having my coffee I just wondered, do you leave charcoal in these after use and how does it perform if so? Also, any updates on how they are aging?

The old charcoal does not burn well. At least you need to mix it up at the bottom grate as the smaller pieces seem to also restrict igniting the charcoal above. It will eventually light but will take a lot longer than mixing it up with fresh or at least getting the bottom layer cleaned up. Once you get past that and figure out how best you want to work your startup then you just make it routine.

Aging wise mine is stored indoors so not a good candidate to comment on that. Mine is holding up well given that aside from a bad probe. I did install the stainless firebox liner after about the first cook or two and note the factory liner was already disintegrating. MB says the factory liner is just for shipping and that is normal but once it is gone, exposes the firebrick which I do not want in my food.

Every time I use it I am pleased with the outcome and recommend to anyone that doesn't mind a little work to fire up. I do prefer charcoal over pellets but this does require a little more work. Not even getting up to push the "on" button will work alone on this one ;).

I had the 1050 Masterbuilt for about 6 months and only 2 things I disliked about it .... 40 minutes to clean versus 5 minutes for my extra large green egg. The biggest problem was heavy rains that took the temps from 400 to less than 200 in just a few minutes. I don't have any place to cook with a covering over the cookers.
Yesterday I did a Splatcock chicken on my Recteq 590 and halfway through the cook heavy rains came and the 590 kept the temp steady at 275. The green egg is also not bothered by heavy rains.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back