Masterbuilt Gravity Series

Here’s the link to the Costco Masterbuilt 900. It is $799 delivered online but $649 in the store. The 800 comes with a griddle and Costco’s 900 comes with the pizza attachment.

Here’s the link to the Costco Masterbuilt 900. It is $799 delivered online but $649 in the store. The 800 comes with a griddle and Costco’s 900 comes with the pizza attachment.
Interesting! When I go to that link, it shows me the product, then tells me that it is (a) “out of stock,” (b) “…currently unavailable for purchase in [your] zip code” and (c) “…currently unavailable for delivery in [your] zip code.” I guess they are asking me “what part of ‘NO’ don’t you understand.” :ROFLMAO:

Must be a regional product only.

Hmmm…my Costco doesn’t list them on their website. I wonder if it is a regional item?
When I go to Costco.com, it does not show up for the Augusta, GA location, but I saw it today, with my own two eyes. I do not know what is going on... @Jim6820 -- I get the same results, when I go to the link, but they are stacked at my Costco.

I've had the 590 for about three years now and just purchased the Masterbuilt 1050 last week. I only have two cooks on it. Here are my thoughts so far:

I purchased the Masterbuilt because I missed the taste of smoking with charcoal. My first smoker was the Pit Barrel Cooker. It had good flavor, but was very labor intensive so I move onto the 590. While I loved the ease of the RT and enjoyed the flavor, there has never been any doubt in my mind that there was less smoke flavor from the pellet grill. I even tried the charcoal-flavored and pure charcoal pellets, but they still didn't compare. For the two cooks I've completed so far, using natural lump charcoal with wood in both the hopper and ash pan, the flavor is not only more intense but better on the Masterbuilt. By better I mean less bitter/acrid smoke flavor and more of a smooth 'natural wood' flavor. For my first pork butt, I used cherry blocks in the hopper and cherry chunks in the ash pan. While cooking you could definitely smell the sweetness of the smoke, something I could never detect on the pellet grill. In the past with my pellet grill I've been in the "type of pellet doesn't really matter" and "I can't taste the difference" camp. I think that may be changing after using real wood in the Masterbuilt. My wife also says she noticed more smoke flavor.

In terms of build quality, I do wish the thing had more stainless steel construction like the RT. It seems sturdy enough to me, but I'm sure it eventually deteriorate because it's not stainless. I've also read a lot of complaints about the safety switches failing and hot embers falling into and melting the fan. I bought replacements for both on Amazon for a few bucks to have on hand just in case.

I also purchased several of the mods that are very popular, namely the stainless steel firebox and manifold cover. It was previously stated that the firebox is expected to degrade and expose the ceramic "firebricks." I wasn't keen on that. While I haven't done a high temp cook yet, from what I've read by others, I thought the manifold cover was a must have to prevent flare ups. The reality is that your probably don't need it, as there is enough room under the main grates to just put a large disposable aluminum pan to catch the grease/drippings. For my two cooks, I actually put the meat on the middle rack and the drip pan on the main grates. I plan on doing one or the other for each cook and I'm sure that'll keep it very clean.

Use is slightly more hands on than the RT, as I kept adding new wood chunks to the ash pan and for the longer cook (brisket) I had to add more lump charcoal to the hopper after about 10 hours. And you have to light it of course. Overall it's still fairly set it and forget it.

There was one difference in the cook itself that may or may not be attributable to the unit. The brisket I did came out more flavorful but drier than my previous ones. This of course could be just the particular piece of meat, but it could also be that pellets have more natural moisture present than lump charcoal. I did use a water pan (another mod I purchased) and spritzed once an hour, which I have never done on the RT, but it was still drier. Like I said, could be just the meat so I'll have to complete more cooks to make a determination.

Hope this helps.

Hey All, Apologies for being MIA on my own post. I've been eyeing up the 800 more so than the 1050 for the size number 1 (I don't need the extra space) and the integrated griddle. I'm working on my wife now for Father's Day, and "all of the entertaining we will be doing this summer".

This is all great discussion. While the price point on the MB series is mid/low, which is good. It does seem that the aftermarket SS upgrades are necessary for performance and longevity. By the time you get all of that, you're in over $1K. But that doesn't bother me. I'm not rich, but that's because I don't go without. If I want it, I get it. Right now, I'm looking for something new and I don't want another RT.

The 2 main aftermarket vendors I've seen are KLOTES and LSS. I'm curious if anyone has experience with the 2 and have any feedback on them. I was leaning LSS because it has several packages that include the firebox liner, ash catch, manifold, hopper cover plate, etc. I have read that unless you get the manifold cover, this thing definitely has issues with grease fires. I'm generally good about cleaning my grills, but to have something prevent fires is a plus IMO. I absolutely plan on using this for both smoking and grilling, so it would be good to not have to clean the thing every time between cooks.

https://www.lss-mods.com/
https://klotesmods.com/

Again, just curious if anyone has tried these aftermarket products out, and their opinions.

Thanks @PrinceMike for your thorough comment.

I keep going back and forth on whether to just bite the bullet and get a kamado style. KJ now has a "Konnected Joe" but it seems a bit of a hassle to tend to, and I'm not seeing a lot of reviews on it.

I feel like the MB might be a great change, gives me plenty of room to tinker, and it seems easy enough to get the benefits of automated control, with real wood/charcoal smoke flavor.

Hey All, Apologies for being MIA on my own post. I've been eyeing up the 800 more so than the 1050 for the size number 1 (I don't need the extra space) and the integrated griddle. I'm working on my wife now for Father's Day, and "all of the entertaining we will be doing this summer".

This is all great discussion. While the price point on the MB series is mid/low, which is good. It does seem that the aftermarket SS upgrades are necessary for performance and longevity. By the time you get all of that, you're in over $1K. But that doesn't bother me. I'm not rich, but that's because I don't go without. If I want it, I get it. Right now, I'm looking for something new and I don't want another RT.

The 2 main aftermarket vendors I've seen are KLOTES and LSS. I'm curious if anyone has experience with the 2 and have any feedback on them. I was leaning LSS because it has several packages that include the firebox liner, ash catch, manifold, hopper cover plate, etc. I have read that unless you get the manifold cover, this thing definitely has issues with grease fires. I'm generally good about cleaning my grills, but to have something prevent fires is a plus IMO. I absolutely plan on using this for both smoking and grilling, so it would be good to not have to clean the thing every time between cooks.

https://www.lss-mods.com/
https://klotesmods.com/

Again, just curious if anyone has tried these aftermarket products out, and their opinions.

Thanks @PrinceMike for your thorough comment.

I keep going back and forth on whether to just bite the bullet and get a kamado style. KJ now has a "Konnected Joe" but it seems a bit of a hassle to tend to, and I'm not seeing a lot of reviews on it.

I feel like the MB might be a great change, gives me plenty of room to tinker, and it seems easy enough to get the benefits of automated control, with real wood/charcoal smoke flavor.

I got the Klotes liner, firebox grate, fan guard & manifold cover.. happy with the entire process and quality.

I decided on Klotes after seeing some having to beat the liner in for the LSS but, I think it was after use. I had like 1 cook on it already and my factory liner and it was already disintegrating as advertised. I just do not want fiberglass in my food regardless of what they say.

I do like the grate tool with LSS and might order one day but I can do without.

Everything else to me at least is not needed but I did modify the hopper lid removing the original gasket and applying a fire block seal to the unit and lid. It will leak from the factory so that might be something to consider if it bothers you. I just did it a lot cheaper with the same results. It's a minor thing and in the long run can't see it hurting much.

From my last cook a set of ribs. Still did not get a lot of smoke or smoke flavor but the food is good and I still like it. These things are so efficient there is not really much in the way of smoke. A kettle does a way better job for that. As far as holding temp I have not seen anything handle it so well. The controller they have down for sure with the variable speed fan. And to go as low as 150 gives you options.

IMG_4385.jpeg

Last edited:
FYI,

to the defense of Pellet grill/smokers https://knottywoodbbq.com/

So far has the best flavor and produces the best ring. Since I only have the bullseye, I did a low and slow on some flanked beef shorts (select) that took 18 hours, wrapped at 165 finish temp 202 and rested for 30 min since guests were painstakingly waiting I was impressed at the flavor and presentation. I can't find my pic, but I feel like getting some and running a test again since I bought on special from Home Depot 180lbs for like $130 delivered, I have resources to test.

Prince Mike has it on Target though, I have had the MB 1050 moderately modded for a year now (rinngin a Fireboard), and it is my go to for briskets until I decide if I go with the 700 or the 1250.

Yeah I don't like to hate on my RTs. They've done me well. I have a 590 and Bullseye (BE). I've never been impressed with the BE though. I bought the 590 first and prematurely got rid of my gasser before I quickly realized I'm not searing anything on the 590. Yes, I know Grillgrates, and all of that... I even went through the process of modding my 590 with an aftermarket auger (Post). But it just wasn't designed for searing.

So I bought the BE. It sears, but the build quality (IMO) is lacking, and sometimes (often) this thing just goes rouge and no matter what I've done to settings, pellet brands, cleaning, etc. it just does what it wants to do sometimes. I've often had to pull my cooks off mid grilling because with a set point of 500, it just climbs to 750+ for no apparent reason. I've never tried a low/slow on the BE, and probably won't. That is what the 590 is built for (or perhaps my new MB).

All this said. I don't plan on getting rid of both my RTs. Which one I will sell, not sure yet. I think it depends on how well my MB tests go for both smoking and grilling. I'm optimistic this thing will handle both well. But I'm also realistic, and know the MB has shortcomings.

I find my 590 gives great smoke "look" - deep ring, bark, etc. But the flavor is just not there for me. @smovider Thanks for sharing that. I'll definitely check them out. It is likely I'll be keeping one of my RT, and having some good pellet options is welcome. I've only used RT blend for all my cooks except one time I was in a pinch and bought some Louisiana Grills mix at a local hardware store.

Anyway, I'm excited for the new MB cooker. New smell, new onboarding and finding my way. I feel pretty comfortable with the RTs now. And the effort of learning a new cooker, its quirks, its benefits and shortcomings is all part of the fun for me as I generally consider myself a tinkerer.

@flippingeo, I used the factory PID for one cook and was not happy with the BT/WiFi... so enter the Fireboard. Been my PID ever since.

When I first got the BE last April, it ran great until March of this year. I was experiencing the same unpredictable temp behaviour. But when I talked with Brian Keith from RT support, he got my PID trained back up. It works great for me when smoking beef short ribs, but anything bigger than that IE (butts/shoulders) I have to pull out the tried an true of the MB1050.

One of the problems with the MB1050 is the flare ups, which I have about 90% resolved with the use of cast Iron and 3/8" gauge deflector for the fire. The other issue I am having is drippings management... use of a drip pan is required, the design of the MB is not ideal for a drip bucket due to the location of the fire going through the channel on the bottom of the pit. So, I use a drip pan on the bottom grate and put my brisket up on the second shelf. I suppose you could block the heat from going all the way through the bottom of the barrel and then making it a reverse flow. The only issue is the location of the smoke stack.

I recommend getting Klotes 14 inch grate for the middle shelf. I will be getting one once I figure out if I keep this one. I am almost pulling the trigger on a 700 or 1250... so I have not committed to the MB1050 yet. I am trying to keep my cooking tools to a minimum... I really like the features of the Fireboard and it's accuracy in PID control. The best I have used so far, and they make a dongle/adpater that plugs your fan into it. The only thing you need to make sure of is having enough power for them long 12+ hour cooks. I just use the USB-C power supply and keep it plugged in. However if you have a 1 amp 12v USB-C battery back, it will keep it true.

Lastly, if you want control of your vent, there is a mod for that. LSS-Mods and Klotes Mods make dampers. I chose the Klotes and you will see why if you decide to venture that way. I have other mods as well if you are interested, I put these on right away based on others experience with this grill/smoker. Short of making my own, this is the best one so far. If I could figure out a way to integrate my Fireboard with an offset, I am getting rid of the MB and keeping the BE.

Apologies for the long post.

No worries on length @smovider. I’m long winded myself. So I ended up going LSS instead of Klotes. In fact my LSS package arrived today, before the MB800. So I’ll be able to get all those upgrades in place before the first cook. lve been reading up on the Fireboard mod quite a bit, but I paused as I didnt want to flood this thing with too much customization until I’ve had a chance to use it. The Fireboard upgrade is something I can do easily later. But I wanted to at least get the ”hard” parts in (firebox mod) before use to extend this things life, and provide some performance/maintenance benefits.

thanks for the info. I’m excited for it to arrive. I’ve got a 14lb packer, couple tritips, and some pork butts all ready to kick the tires with this thing.

@flippingeo ,

You probably already know this, but make sure you put your PB as far away as possible from the hopper as that is the hottest (flames). I had done 3 last Saturday, and saw pikes in temp and I knew why. Luckily my cast iron diffuser helped, but will be modifying it one more time, and I should have it dialed in. I am putting the steel plate as far right to the hopper, like touching the inner wall, and using the smaller cast iron plate for the area where the RTD probe is.

Have fun with your mods. I actually did a combo of LSS and Klotes, based on my needs and style I guess. The Klotes damper is nice because as ugly and not streamlined the damper is, it is effective for me to vent as close to the business end of the heat source as possible, then with the diffuser guiding the heat to the left, I can emulate a reverse flow offset. Not perfectly, but I think pretty close.

Whelp, she's (Bertha) all set up. I did the initial pre-season burn off last night, and will be performing the seasoning routine today. Then repeating with the griddle. I'm already feeling some remorse over not getting the 1050, but overall I'm extremely happy (so far).

Initial thoughts.
  • Look/General Functions - This thing looks nice. Even my wife commented that it looks like it wants to "spit out good food". I have to agree. Is it perfect? No. I wish it had a handle somewhere to allow you to roll it around without having to use the controller shelf or hopper, but this is a small thing. The front shelf is short and only useful while the lid is open, but it's a shelf (more on that below).
  • Construction - was pretty easy. I could see how some less technically inclined could have some issues. My build was complicated a bit more than baseline as I was installing my LSS mods at the same time (firebox). But overall it was smooth sailing.
  • Materials (hard parts) - Well they aren't the greatest. The fasteners are shit. Like it was extremely difficult not to strip the Phillips head screws, and I'm an expert of low torque construction with years of Ikea furniture experience. I may someday decide to go back and replace with more hardened fasteners, but for now it's together.
  • Materials (electronics) - I confirm that all my switches, probes, and controller all appear to be working. I had no issue connecting the app. I will say wiring are all very thin and only mildly protected. I'm trying to figure out how to fortify the power cord plug where it plugs into the controller. All of the wiring appears to be 16-18 gauge and just looks like the perform fail point. I've seen that many use USB battery banks to run their MB and completely disconnect it from direct power. May look into that. Another thought is to mount a powerstrip under the control side shelf and rig the wiring up there. I may be putting this on the far end of my pool so having some additional plugs at the grill would be nice to keep MEATERs or phones charged.
  • Materials (as built) - This thing feels pretty solid. Certainly as solid as the Bullseye, and pretty damn close to the 590 (IMO). Wheels and casters are cheap, but I don't plan on moving it a lot once I decide it's home.
  • Operation - Start up was easy. More laborious than a pellet cooker, sure. But load the hopper, light a starter, and in 1-2 mins start the controller. Easy peasy. Time to temp is ridiculously fast! I was up to 250 in a matter of 3 mins from the moment I turned on the controller. AND when I turned it up to 400 for the second part of the burn off, it got there in just under 2 mins (daughter timed it).
  • Accuracy - Yeah you know that I did put my Thermoworks smoke ambient in there the whole time because that is what I do. I was pleasantly surprise by just how accurate and precise this thing is. I placed the probe on the second shelf, center and the entire burn in process my TW was within 5-10 degrees of the MB probe. I had a small concern early one when the TW was reading nearly 600 when the MB said 400, but I realized that the LSS damper I installed had closed on me (OOPS). So that heat was building up in the lid. As soon as I opened the damper the TW dropped back within the 5-10 range of MB. I will probably remove the damper unless I plan on smoking on a windy day. Just not necessary.
    • I do not believe the MB has an offset feature like RT, so while I'm glad that this thing is pretty accurate right now. I do hope it stays that way since there is no way to adjust it. Future me will likely put the Fireboard on this so it won't be an issue, just saying.
  • Lessons (to anyone who may be considering) -
    • If you get the LSS damper either only install it when necessary, or make damn sure you get into the habit of opening it after opening your lid otherwise you could have a major issue on your hand. I plan on removing mine and putting on as needed.
    • Front shelf. I think you should get into the habit of having the front shelf opened for any cook. Especially high heat cooks. I saw a comment from someone else, somewhere else that indicated they melted the facade of their shelf while it was down. I can see that.
    • If you are taking out any of the screws on the hopper/box heat shroud, be aware that there are 2 different size screws used on this thing. I didn't pay close enough attention and ended up mixing them up. The larger size are self tapping. Careful as I ended up re-tapping some holes that were supposed to be for the smaller size non-tapping screws.
That's all for now. I have a lot more to learn about this thing. But so far I'm impressed. I'm ready to get this thing seasoned up and putting a piece of meat on there. I'll probably do ribs as that was the last thing I did on the RT so it will be more fresh in my mind to compare. At some point I may do some direct comparisons. 2 meats on both cookers at the same time.

Thanks everyone for the input/thoughts on this topic. I'm excited to get started with this thing.

IMG_3034.jpeg

So the more I use my MB the more it is becoming my fav.

Did some St. Luis this week and I have to say they might have been the best I ever did yet.

I tried something a little different for more smoke. Started at 180 for about 2.5 hrs then went to 200 for about another 6 and then 225 for just about a 1/2 hr .. sauced and went to 450 to set. You can see the temp chart.

The smoke flavor was much brighter this time. I did a similar combo of chunk charcoal and standard cubes with wood chips and chunks. I just love that you can pretty much toss anything in there and it just works perfectly.

Here are a few pics..

IMG_4563.jpeg

IMG_4568.jpeg

IMG_4571.jpeg

IMG_4573.jpeg

IMG_4574.jpeg

IMG_4570.png

So the more I use my MB the more it is becoming my fav.

Did some St. Luis this week and I have to say they might have been the best I ever did yet.

I tried something a little different for more smoke. Started at 180 for about 2.5 hrs then went to 200 for about another 6 and then 225 for just about a 1/2 hr .. sauced and went to 450 to set. You can see the temp chart.

The smoke flavor was much brighter this time. I did a similar combo of chunk charcoal and standard cubes with wood chips and chunks. I just love that you can pretty much toss anything in there and it just works perfectly.

Here are a few pics..

View attachment 19343

View attachment 19344

View attachment 19345

View attachment 19346

View attachment 19347

View attachment 19348
Those look good! No wrap? I’m reading more and more folks not wrapping ribs. I need to try it. My last rib cook was just ok so I was planning on trying no wrap

Those look good! No wrap? I’m reading more and more folks not wrapping ribs. I need to try it. My last rib cook was just ok so I was planning on trying no wrap

Thanks.. everyone including the neighbors loved them.

Yes, no wrap and very juicy. They were a bit tender so I might adjust a bit but honestly it is how we like them. Just melted in your mouth.

Used Recteq competition rub and G Hughes Sweet & Spicey sauce which is sugar free but we just love the favor.

I've got a neighbor with 4 of them, he started with 2 and had so many problems right before a competition he had to buy 2 more. We joke and call them MasterShits. He's wanting to buy a Yoder now and is sick of the masterbuilt gravity fed and all the issues and mainly the support from masterbuilt.

His issues:
Controller going out
Probe not working
Firebox burning out
And at the last competition, charcoal sparks flying out of the firebox area near the fan.

He's seriously had nothing but problems with all 4 of them.

I've got a neighbor with 4 of them, he started with 2 and had so many problems right before a competition he had to buy 2 more. We joke and call them MasterShits. He's wanting to buy a Yoder now and is sick of the masterbuilt gravity fed and all the issues and mainly the support from masterbuilt.

His issues:
Controller going out
Probe not working
Firebox burning out
And at the last competition, charcoal sparks flying out of the firebox area near the fan.

He's seriously had nothing but problems with all 4 of them.
Genuine question…. Why would he keep buying them if they are shit?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back