Looking at adding a Pellet grill.

Azretired

We currently own a XL BGE and have been pleased overall however it does take a commitment especially for long cooks, especially with brisket. I have been toying with adding a pellet grill and I am currently undecided if it would be worth the investment. Impressed with what I read about Rt700 & 1250. Concerned with the comments regarding Traeger’s quality. I would appreciate current RT owners perspective on how they like the Recteq grills. Is one better than the others?

Thank You

IMO recteq vs BGE is all about ‘convenience vs flavor. I had a large BGE since 2004, bought my first recteq 2019, gave my BGE to my son-in-law in 2021.The BGE gives you more options for great flavor, but if you don’t use it because it’s a PITA to use, get a recteq. I’ve bought a charcoal grill for those times I want to take the time and effort to grill a really great meal, otherwise I step outside and hit the start button! BTW, I believe the ‘flavor’ issue somewhat evens out on low and slow cooks, but for grilling, charcoal is king…

IMO recteq vs BGE is all about ‘convenience vs flavor. I had a large BGE since 2004, bought my first recteq 2019, gave my BGE to my son-in-law in 2021.The BGE gives you more options for great flavor, but if you don’t use it because it’s a PITA to use, get a recteq. I’ve bought a charcoal grill for those times I want to take the time and effort to grill a really great meal, otherwise I step outside and hit the start button! BTW, I believe the ‘flavor’ issue somewhat evens out on low and slow cooks, but for grilling, charcoal is king…
This 100%.

Thank you, I appreciate your POV!

Did you purchase a RT WyldSide RT-A850 or am I mistaken?

Did you purchase a RT WyldSide RT-A850 or am I mistaken?
Not mistaken, i still have it (for now). I’m in the process of downsizing both the size and number of grills, but I first want to make sure I like what I’m replacing stuff with before I get rid of anything. I’m not unhappy with any of my recteq grills, but as official empty nesters now I’m looking to get past going up/down stairs to access an outdoor kitchen.

Not mistaken, i still have it (for now). I’m in the process of downsizing both the size and number of grills, but I first want to make sure I like what I’m replacing stuff with before I get rid of anything. I’m not unhappy with any of my recteq grills, but as official empty nesters now I’m looking to get past going up/down stairs to access an outdoor kitchen.
OK. I see RT discontinued the WyldSide. I thought it was a pretty kool looking grill.

Similar situation here.

I sold my Large BGE and now I'm going to ell my large Komado Joe as well as my PitBoss Copperhead vertical smoker. I'm keeping my BGE MiniMax and I am going to add a Rectec. Probably the RT-590. Its easier to start over than it is to lug all my smokers from Florida up to North Carolina. I'll bring up my existing pellets, wood chunks, thermometers and othe BGE accessories.

I'm excited about starting all over and I feel like the 590 and the MiniMax should be able to handle all of my needs.

Low and slow on the Rectec and grill/searing on the MiniMax.

I also have an existing fire pit in the back yard and I'm looking to add some more cast iron to my inventory so that I can try cowboy cooking.

We are empty nesters now but the kids will visit along with some of our Florida friends and neighbors so I'll have some people to cook for.

Last edited:
@azretired…I owned a Traeger BBQ075 for about 13 years or so. I enjoyed cooking with it (pellet grill/smoker). Sometime in/around 2018, I bought a newer Traeger model that was made specifically for Costco. The model name was “Stapleton” or something similar. I gave my brother my old Traeger. I had 2 big fires in the newer one. I have a couple of hunches on why that model had fires. A little over a year later, I called Costco about it. They said bring it in and we’ll refund your money. So, like Jed Clampett, I loaded up the truck and moved it back to Costco.

I considered several brands and models. In the end, I purchased my RT-700 in April of 2020. The Recteq is by far the better built unit. I’ve never had a bad cook on it. Only problem I ever had was a bearing came out of one wheel earlier this year. A call to Recteq tech support and I had two new wheels in just a few days.

So…a 700 or a 1250? My advice would be to get the 1250. I had to buy the front shelf as an option on my 700. I’ve read in this forum that those accessory second shelves (with folding legs) are as worthless as breasts on a boar hog. So I’ve been looking at the Chad Peterson add-on racks. https://pcsrackworks.com/. My point is, I’m 3-years into my 700 and there’s been multiple times I wish I had a second shelf. I have a large family and do some significant cooks several times a year. The 1250 already has the second shelf. I am dying for a second shelf. looked the other day and unless I’m mistaken, there’s a decent price for a 1250 (Labor Day sale) right now. My advice is if you can afford it, the additional features of the 1250 may save you money over a 700 with those additional options added on.

Just my 2-cents worth.

@azretired…I owned a Traeger BBQ075 for about 13 years or so. I enjoyed cooking with it (pellet grill/smoker). Sometime in/around 2018, I bought a newer Traeger model that was made specifically for Costco. The model name was “Stapleton” or something similar. I gave my brother my old Traeger. I had 2 big fires in the newer one. I have a couple of hunches on why that model had fires. A little over a year later, I called Costco about it. They said bring it in and we’ll refund your money. So, like Jed Clampett, I loaded up the truck and moved it back to Costco.

I considered several brands and models. In the end, I purchased my RT-700 in April of 2020. The Recteq is by far the better built unit. I’ve never had a bad cook on it. Only problem I ever had was a bearing came out of one wheel earlier this year. A call to Recteq tech support and I had two new wheels in just a few days.

So…a 700 or a 1250? My advice would be to get the 1250. I had to buy the front shelf as an option on my 700. I’ve read in this forum that those accessory second shelves (with folding legs) are as worthless as breasts on a boar hog. So I’ve been looking at the Chad Peterson add-on racks. https://pcsrackworks.com/. My point is, I’m 3-years into my 700 and there’s been multiple times I wish I had a second shelf. I have a large family and do some significant cooks several times a year. The 1250 already has the second shelf. I am dying for a second shelf. looked the other day and unless I’m mistaken, there’s a decent price for a 1250 (Labor Day sale) right now. My advice is if you can afford it, the additional features of the 1250 may save you money over a 700 with those additional options added on.

Just my 2-cents worth.

No…I do not work for or have any fiduciary relationship with Recteq. I’m just a very proud owner…and a half-decent cook…and I love talking bbq.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back