Stampede Lavalock

Dougfresh

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
For those of you that have installed lavalock gaskets around the stampede lid do you install it on the lid or the main body of the smoker? Or both?

thanks

I installed my gasket all around the lid and on the lid stops too. Haven't decided yet if I am going to use it under the smoke vents.

I put the 1/2in Fireblack gasket around the lid. I also put them on the vents in the back but required some trimming. Came out pretty good and there’s no leakage of smoke. The main reason I didn’t want the smoke to leak was to try and preserve the grill from smoke stains.

Per Charlesrshell images I put Fireblack all the way around my door before I burned the 590 in and used red ht gasket goo for the vents. The gasket goo was a bit messy but seems to have stopped smoke leakage but may go to the Fireblack gasket on the vents later.

The Fireblack around the door pretty much stopped the smoke from leaking around the door, only at the initial part of the burn in where there was tons of smoke everywhere, there was a trace around the door but no other time.

I was a bit surprised there was still smoke coming out of the vents 20 minutes or so after the unit had fully shut down. I am told this is normal. Thoughts?

Just something to think about..... if you install the gasket, you will be decreasing the air flow. I’d suggest leaving the probe door partially open.

Appreciate all the input. I installed it all around the lid and it is 100% better. No leaks. Now I’m thinking about doing the vents.
I used gasket around the vents and there’s no leakage. Keeps the sides of the grill where the vents attach to cleaner, if you care about that.

I’m by no means a smoker expert or anything but isn’t that what the fan and vents are for?
Yes. Plus there’s a big hole in the bottom of the grill for the grease drain. A lot of the higher-end models of pellet grills come with a lid gasket, so it’s not unusual to have a gasket, not a reason for concern if it doesn’t.

The reason that ReqTec says not to seal the lid is because of air flow....
So, my response to that is seal the lid and keep the probe door at least partially open.

The reason that ReqTec says not to seal the lid is because of air flow....
So, my response to that is seal the lid and keep the probe door at least partially open.
If you seal the lid will it affect the warranty?

recteq says it’s not necessary to seal the lid because it Isn’t necessary, not because the grill can’t get air if the lid is sealed. Every recteq has a sealed air box, and the fan blows in the air needed to burn the pellets. There’s no shortage of people here who have sealed their lids, and I don’t recall anyone taking the seal off because their grill was then starved for oxygen.

Simple, if you want to keep the outside cleaner, seal the lid, if you don't care, don't seal, it will cook just fine either way. If someone has done scientific testing with and without sealing, has the data to prove sealing has a negative effect, bring it on.

If the lid does not fit perfectly, loosen the hinge fasteners, adjust for best fit and tighten.

recteq says it’s not necessary to seal the lid because it Isn’t necessary, not because the grill can’t get air if the lid is sealed. Every recteq has a sealed air box, and the fan blows in the air needed to burn the pellets. There’s no shortage of people here who have sealed their lids, and I don’t recall anyone taking the seal off because their grill was then starved for oxygen.
I’m just stating what others have stated Recteq told them. It has been mentioned quite a few times on the FB group page.

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/should-i-seal-my-rec-tec-grill-answered.16/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back