Large Flat Top Griddle

Eleuthros1

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I seasoned this when I first got my Bull a few weeks ago. Today I tried it for the first time. I used it on my gas grill (hope I'm not breaking any forum rules, if so please delete the thread) mainly for the sake of time. I'll definitely do more with it on my Bull soon.

Anyway, I make these breakfast sandwiches on random Sundays and they're always on point. Very quick and simple. The down side is that I have always made them in my cast iron skillet on the stove and our house smells like greasy spoon diner the rest of the day.

Not anymore, this flat top griddle is amazing! Tons of room and it cleans up fast. My gas grill manufacturer wanted $320 for their griddle and there's no way it's of the same quality on the Rec Tec griddle. I highly recommend this addition to your grilling arsenal!

.... When they come back in stock...

I forgot the final picture but all of that goes on a toasted English muffin.

Attachments

• 20200628_111753.jpg
    20200628_111753.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 797
  • 20200628_112216.jpg
    20200628_112216.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 247
I got the griddle a couple of weeks ago. Finished the seasoning in good shape. So far have cooked bacon, egg/cheese/onion omelet, pancakes, plain eggs. I'm going to try a pizza at some point. I have a large (18 inch round) pizza stone (Weber) and a smaller (14 Inch round) cast iron griddle from Lodge. (my avatar is one of the pizzas from the Weber stone). At some point I'll have tried enough combinations of temp and cooking surfaces to report something. The stone seems to work best at 500 deg & wait 10 to 15 minutes before loading with a pizza. Takes about 15 - 20 minutes to get a crisp crust. Don't know about the Rec Tec Griddle or the Lodge yet. Next cook on the Rec Tec griddle will likely be burgers, then I'll try a pizza. I make the dough, let it rise and freeze the part I'm not using for later - saves time.

I got the griddle a couple of weeks ago. Finished the seasoning in good shape. So far have cooked bacon, egg/cheese/onion omelet, pancakes, plain eggs. I'm going to try a pizza at some point. I have a large (18 inch round) pizza stone (Weber) and a smaller (14 Inch round) cast iron griddle from Lodge. (my avatar is one of the pizzas from the Weber stone). At some point I'll have tried enough combinations of temp and cooking surfaces to report something. The stone seems to work best at 500 deg & wait 10 to 15 minutes before loading with a pizza. Takes about 15 - 20 minutes to get a crisp crust. Don't know about the Rec Tec Griddle or the Lodge yet. Next cook on the Rec Tec griddle will likely be burgers, then I'll try a pizza. I make the dough, let it rise and freeze the part I'm not using for later - saves time.
We were talking last night about trying Pizza soon. I use the griddle often, I'm about to use it to make our breakfast sandwiches.

What temp do you do set the smoker at to use the griddle? And how warm does the griddle get? Doesn't seem like it would get warm enough to maintain that 300 to 350 you need to make a griddle work? What about when you use on grill? Set at medium? How warm does the griddle get?

I have found these small griddles really temperamental. If not hot enough they tend to stick a bit. If too hot they warp. I have a blacsktone i use for those weekends the kids ask for a "big breakfast" (which can be omelletes, bacon and hashbrowns or bacon/pancakes, etc.). My blackstone is in the garage and has to be rolled out and set up. So admittedly, it is one of those i don't use as much as I would if it was easy to light and cook.

Would love more details on how these are being used. Griddles are really nice to have. Never a bad day to make bacon. But, like the OP, when i use my cast iron pan in the kitchen, people are happy for the first 10 mins and then spend the rest of the day complaining about the smell in the house. Ha. I often use my cast iron on my side burner on my gasser. The downside on the cast iron is the grease collection.

Any more details?

I used my griddle pan today, first time, I spent about six hours seasoning it the other day, but I had some eggs stick. The stuck on portion obviously burned, any tips or strategies to get that clean? Thanks.

I've had a little sticking of eggs early in my use of the griddle. I just lightly scraped it off & reseasoned that area with some oil when it heated up for the next cook. By the way, I bought 3 spatulas (two were thinner with holes in the blade, and the other was heavier for smash burgers, etc). I used a file & sharpened the edges - not quite knife sharp - but so they were much thinner & used some fine wet/dry sandpaper to remove any burrs / sharp areas. They work really well on the griddle. Haven't had much sticking since the first time. The more you use it, the better the release of food.

I use a stainless mesh cloth (looks like knight's armor. they sell them for cast iron fry pan cleaning) with only water to remove any excess and then dry the griddle. Just don't rub hard. I use the same mesh to clean my cast iron ware. I run the smoker (once it heats up) at 400 to 425 for 15 - 20 minutes before cooking on the griddle. Takes a while for the steel to get hot.

I have used the large griddle in the Bull few times to make Sunday brunch with bacon, sausage patties, hash browns, and scrambled eggs.
I like that you can still get a subtle smokiness into the food that is being griddled.
That said every time you open the lid you lose a lot of heat so it is slower than a Blackstone. Also you can’t flip things as easily because of the grill body being in the way. But the taste is awesome.
I run the grill at 400 degrees for those cooks.

I seasoned mine yesterday, and tried smash burgers last night. I was underwhelmed. Didn’t get that crust you hope for. It seems you have to close the lid (as best you can, given the pour lip interferes with complete closure) to keep the heat up, but then the burger cooks before crust can be established. Am I doing something wrong? I’ve searched YouTube but not much on the griddle. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back