Thawing large cuts

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
If I do a search on the Internet common consensus is 24 hours for each 4-5 lbs at 37ish degrees, meaning an 8 lb butt should thaw in 2 days. Never have I had a butt or turkey come close to his formula in out 38 degree fridge, closer to double what they call for. What works for you folks?

I agree. I just defrosted a 12lb turkey, said it should take 72 hours, no way. Needed more time.

Im guessing another day would have been perfect for that turkey, so 96 hours on a 12 lb bird so 24 hours every 3 pounds is what I guess would work

For years I have followed a thawing formula of 3 pounds per 24 hours. Didn't always have that nifty digital temp readout in all my fridges.:)

For larger cuts, I routinely use a modified quick thaw technique approved by the FDA. The FDA method says you can thaw meats on the counter by placing the meat in a pan of cold water and changing out the water from time-to-time. Please refer to the FDA website for more details. I prefer to put the meat in a pan of cold water and put the pan in the refrigerator. Depending on how much of a hurry I am in, I will change out the water more or less often. This way I don’t have to monitor the water temperature at all. I am amazed at how the meat thaws so much more quickly. I haven’t done this for a same day cook. But, it usually works great overnight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back