Do I need the Large interior shelf?

FreakDawg76

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Title says it all. Do I need it? Those who have it, how often do you find yourself actually using it? Yes, I know it’s outta stock, but I found one elsewhere that I’m debating snagging … thanks fellas!

"Need" is very subjective, I cook on my pellet grill all the time, and have yet to find a "need" for a shelf. If I wanted more cooking space, then yeah it would make sense.........so far haven't hasn't even crossed my mind. Options are a good thing, better to have and not need I reckon?

"Need" is very subjective, I cook on my pellet grill all the time, and have yet to find a "need" for a shelf. If I wanted more cooking space, then yeah it would make sense.........so far haven't hasn't even crossed my mind. Options are a good thing, better to have and not need I reckon?
See, this is EXACTLY why I went with the 700 and not the 590.. it’s just me here, and I didn’t NEED the space, but I WANTED it just in case… If I had the shelf already I could cook 200 wings instead of about 120 lol

I have the large shelf and use it quite often. It helps when I smoke multiple items like a brisket and burnt ends, brisket on the bottom and burnt ends on the rack. I also use the rack to cook side dishes while the ribs or brisket is still cooking on the bottom. I use it for cold smoking, cheese, nuts and what ever else you can think of. It is also good for extra space to smoke jerky.

I have the large shelf and use it quite often. It helps when I smoke multiple items like a brisket and burnt ends, brisket on the bottom and burnt ends on the rack. I also use the rack to cook side dishes while the ribs or brisket is still cooking on the bottom. I use it for cold smoking, cheese, nuts and what ever else you can think of. It is also good for extra space to smoke jerky.
Yeah, I kinda knew the answer to my own question, guess I just needed reassurance. Im currently cleaning my dang drip pan which I neglected to foil, wishing I had the Teflon liner 😂😂😂

It really depends depends on your needs bud. Having the shelf will never be a bad thing. Just depends on what you intend to cook. I have a second shelf for my 700 but it’s mainly for jerky and sausage making. If your into that kinda stuff go for it! Mine is a home made on i built but they will all perform the same task.
IMG_7438.jpeg

Yeah, I kinda knew the answer to my own question, guess I just needed reassurance. Im currently cleaning my dang drip pan which I neglected to foil, wishing I had the Teflon liner 😂😂😂
Teflon liner beware… not sure if I got inferior ones from RT but I had a very off putting smell from mine the only time I used them. Just my .02 I stick with foil now.

Title says it all. Do I need it? Those who have it, how often do you find yourself actually using it? Yes, I know it’s outta stock, but I found one elsewhere that I’m debating snagging … thanks fellas!
Depends on what you cook
I have not found a need
Going to this weeks game?

Last edited:
I actually use a second shelf (not recteq's) on my RT-590 for low & slow cooks in order to get the meat away from the radiant heat. Lengthens the cook a bit but I like the results.

Need it? What does "need" have to do with it? :ROFLMAO: Do you want it? That's what really counts, right? :rolleyes:

I picked up the large shelf because, well, I decided I needed it. 😀 It did/does what I needed it for, extra room for Ribs. I was thinking it could allow for more wings and now seeing what @DenStinett posted more yard bird. I have had it well over a year, used it twice for ribs. I clean it good and hang it in the garage. I have thought maybe two of the smaller shelves might have been a more versatile option.

I have both. 2 small and 1 large. As discussed, they can have different uses. I like the small shelves because they leave an opening in the center of the grill if I have a tall protein (think Standing Rib Roast but want to double down with 5 or 6 racks of BB Ribs at the same time or if I want to toss a couple of chickens on the smoker without fear of cross contamination during the cook. The large shelf is great for volume (as identified with the 4 spatchcocked chickens posted by Den…, above). It also gives a little more height to keep things in the smoke zone as identified by SmokeOCD. The versatility gained is only limited by your imagination. If it were not for the interior light, I would have even more choices. One thing that wasn’t mentioned is that you can use home made stands, fold in/down the legs of the shelves, and have 3 racks for use for jerky, smoked salmon, and a butt load of seafood (e.g., oysters, clams, shrimp, etc.) for a seafood boil.

Just my thoughts,
’Zilla

Teflon liner beware… not sure if I got inferior ones from RT but I had a very off putting smell from mine the only time I used them. Just my .02 I stick with foil now.
I too doubt i needed the Teflon liner but got it anyway. so far 4 cooks, one up to 300 and no noticeable smell at all. Need to clean it, so lets see how 'easy' that is compared to trashing a piece of foil :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back