Just clicked Buy on a new Stampede...should I have gotten a Bull?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

SmokeShow

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have been wanting a smoker for some time now and the wife finally signed off on one! I currently just cook on a 5yr old Lowe's Charbroil gas grill. It flairs up constantly and burns/chars a good amount of food, I'd like to use the Rec Tec obviously for the smoker but wouldn't remind replacing this old grill of mine. I ordered the RT-590 with a cover, sear kit & brush, 3 vent extenders, and a few different rubs. Should I have spent the extra $300???? We do a decent amount of entertaining during the summer months hosting events like memorial day, 4th of july, my sons birthday, random pool parties. They're are 4 in my family and we may have as many as 10-15 additional families over. Could be 20-30 adults and 15 or so kids. I'd mostly do pulled pork for large events just for cost sake. Can you fit enough shoulder/butts on the 590 to handle these kind of events? From what I read on average every 1/2 pound of shoulder = 1 person fed. So by that math to feed say 40-50 people I would need to smoke 25lbs of shoulder. Can the 590 hold two 12.5lb shoulders????? Please help quickly as there may still be time to change my order before it ships out if need be! Thanks in advance!!

Hello
Welcome to the RecTec family.
I did the same thing I was thinking about the Stampede then I changed my mind and went with the Bull. It's really nice having the extra space if you need it.

I have the RT-590 and I think it has plenty of room for your occasians. I can fit 3 #8 pork butts on there no problem.

I have been wanting a smoker for some time now and the wife finally signed off on one! I currently just cook on a 5yr old Lowe's Charbroil gas grill. It flairs up constantly and burns/chars a good amount of food, I'd like to use the Rec Tec obviously for the smoker but wouldn't remind replacing this old grill of mine. I ordered the RT-590 with a cover, sear kit & brush, 3 vent extenders, and a few different rubs. Should I have spent the extra $300???? We do a decent amount of entertaining during the summer months hosting events like memorial day, 4th of july, my sons birthday, random pool parties. They're are 4 in my family and we may have as many as 10-15 additional families over. Could be 20-30 adults and 15 or so kids. I'd mostly do pulled pork for large events just for cost sake. Can you fit enough shoulder/butts on the 590 to handle these kind of events? From what I read on average every 1/2 pound of shoulder = 1 person fed. So by that math to feed say 40-50 people I would need to smoke 25lbs of shoulder. Can the 590 hold two 12.5lb shoulders????? Please help quickly as there may still be time to change my order before it ships out if need be! Thanks in advance!!
Call them and if it hasn't shipped they will work with you to modify the order. I changed mine the next day but they hadn't shipped. End game new order.

Thank you all for the responses. Also to the moderator, sorry for the duplicate threads. Jamie from Rec Tec reached out to me. Going to call them now!

Rec Tec customer support is 100% top notch! Just got off the phone with Jamie and he was such a great help! He got me all straightened out. No pressure, just shop talk. After hearing everything, I'm proud to say I am now in the official "waiting" stage to receive a shiny new Rec Tec-700 Bull!! Super stoked!! Can't wait to get it and start smoking some foods! Oh and Jamie if you happen to stumble across this, you guys should definitely work in the "New Truck" analogy on the web site somewhere :) Thanks again!

A follow up to this. The grill arrived today and I'm 100% thrilled with it! Definitely glad I went with the Bull. All in all, it's just a small amount more and considering the extra 2 years on the warranty and after seeing the construction of this monster it's going to last for a loooooooooooooooong time! Well worth it.

Rec Tec customer support is 100% top notch! Just got off the phone with Jamie and he was such a great help! He got me all straightened out. No pressure, just shop talk. After hearing everything, I'm proud to say I am now in the official "waiting" stage to receive a shiny new Rec Tec-700 Bull!! Super stoked!! Can't wait to get it and start smoking some foods! Oh and Jamie if you happen to stumble across this, you guys should definitely work in the "New Truck" analogy on the web site somewhere :) Thanks again!

Honestly, Rec Tec support is amazing. The kit kinda spoke for itself as being top quality, but my talks with their staff absolutely put my experience over the top. The first time I ever chatted with them was via email, which led to a phone call. The phone call was about 5 minutes discussing the issue I was having (which they quickly rectified), and then about 25 minutes of shop talk. But that shop talk was so extremely helpful because it completely changed my mindset about pellet grills.

I went into this from the mindset of someone who had only used charcoal grills and smokers, or crappy gas grills. So, I thought of pellet grills as smokers or grills. I left that call thinking of them as something more like super precise outdoor woodfire ovens that also work as fantastic smokers, or relatively decent grills. It completely changed how I went about using the grill. So, instead of just using it for meat, we use it for veggies, we use it for baking (bread, muffins, cookies), plus it kicks out some awesome BBQ. It went from something I'd use every now and then to something we're using at least once a week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back