Bull Is there any reason the RT-700 Stainless Steel Grates Can't go into the Dishwasher for cleaning?

BugEater Keven

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
After each cook so far, I have been meticulous about cleaning the grates back to their shiny new appearance. I removed all the debris this time, but was wondering if it would be harmful to put them in the dishwasher for any reason.

I've looked around the forum as well as general internet searches but haven't found a definitive answer. If someone knows for sure, I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks!

After each cook so far, I have been meticulous about cleaning the grates back to their shiny new appearance. I removed all the debris this time, but was wondering if it would be harmful to put them in the dishwasher for any reason.

I've looked around the forum as well as general internet searches but haven't found a definitive answer. If someone knows for sure, I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks!
My friend who also owns the RT700 uses the dishwasher to clean his stainless steel grates and he swears by it. He does this after every cook.

Personal opinion..........

I'd just get the grill up to 250 degrees or so, get a pot of hot water and a grill wire brush and scrub them in place. I've had too many dishwashers fail because of chunks of "debris" going through the water pump.

And......usually, there's dishwasher detergent residue left on whatever goes through it.

I wouldn't worry about a little "dirty grates" (within reason), it's not going to hurt you any.

edit; Oh, and if you're going to run them through the washer, probably spray them down with a little "PAM" ahead of your cook. :)

Last edited:
Use a grill brush on BOTH sides, after they have cooled. Them toss that bad boy in the dishwasher by itself. Would use a good quality "pod" like Cascade Platinum. The grids are stainless steel. We are not talking about cast iron, that would lose its "seasoning". I agree to make sure there are no "chunks: attached -- grilling should not cost you a dishwasher pump. Just remember to oil them down again, before you throw that rib-eye down.

I just scrape the tops off. Wipe with an oil soaked paper towel just before the next cook.. About once a month, I scrape off the bottoms. No reason to worry about the charred accumulation underneath IMO. And after good hot cooks there is nothing there to spoil, just charcoal.

If I remember correctly, when I purchased my RT700 several years ago “RecTec” (yeah, the original name) included the dishwasher as one of the options for grate cleaning. Personally, with the amount of use my smoker gets it would be a mess to clean in the dishwasher. I’m lucky that the reason I cook on it outside it so it can stay outside, haha. On my vertical stick burner I occasionally lean the grates on a trash can or tree and hit them with the power-washer. It strips them pretty clean since they are expanded stainless steel with a lot of nooks and crannies that get blocked easier. I wouldn’t try it with porcelain or other coated surfaces because it is a pretty harsh cleaning solution.

As a PSA, if you are still using the old fashioned steel brushes that look like a hair brush with the individual bristle design, there are rumors that the individual bristles can fall out and become lodged in food with the possibility of ingestion or contaminating your food when cooking. I can’t confirm or deny if it is true but I switched out everything with the wound wire type brushes and wood ”paddles” just to be safe.

To wrap this up. I did put the grates in the dishwasher after doing a quick hand cleaning to remove the debris - They came out just "grate". Seriously, it worked fine.

Thanks!
I have the 340 and I put my SS grates in the dishwasher after every cook. No issues. Been doing it for about 2 years. I sometimes run it through twice. Hope this helps.

Thanks!
It would work, but without scrubbing off the debris first and detailing the edges you would not get the new look. I just grit my teeth and scrub away. Using a drill brush attachment on my impact makes the job faster, but then the debris flies farthner. I jnust use a Fuller Brush stainless scrub pad.

Thanks!
I use non stick mesh grill mats when I cook on the smoker. It makes cleanup a lot easier since everything is not stuck on the grill grates. The mats are very easy to wipe off in the sink and stick in the dishwasher

As a PSA, if you are still using the old fashioned steel brushes that look like a hair brush with the individual bristle design, there are rumors that the individual bristles can fall out and become lodged in food with the possibility of ingestion or contaminating your food when cooking. I can’t confirm or deny if it is true but I switched out everything with the wound wire type brushes and wood ”paddles” just to be safe.
The rumors are true. Just one example:

02CBCAA4-5BD8-4861-8054-66B8FB121CB7.jpeg

I spray the grates with Dawn Powerwash and pop them in the dishwasher on the tough cycle with a sanitizing rinse. They come out almost as good as new.

Edit: Don’t use Dawn of any sort with bleach based dishwasher detergent.

Last edited:

Thanks!
Take them to your driveway and pressure wash them. I know others that get a big flat container and soak them in dishwashing detergent overnight to loosen the stuck on food and grease and then pressure wash them.

Take them to your driveway and pressure wash them. I know others that get a big flat container and soak them in dishwashing detergent overnight to loosen the stuck on food and grease and then pressure wash them.
I pressure wash mine also, but I didn’t mention it in this thread because few people, that I know of, own a pressure washer. Don’t know if grill cleaning alone would justify buying one, but it does do a wonderful job of cleaning grill parts.

p.s. I don’t clean mine in the driveway because it leaves clean marks on the concrete. I hang mine on a line in the back yard, let the crud blow out into the grass.

This works too…except when the temps are below freezing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back