Bull Inner Lid Drip Shield sketch?

I have a brand new, never cooked on Bull and can't stand the thought of grease and goo getting all over the front of my new smoker. After looking at the pictures and reviewing the posts on this thread I decided to wing it and try to make my own before it got dirty. After a lot of trial and error I found what will work for me. This is a transition for carpet trim and it's extruded aluminum. I have it mounted on the lid using the screw holes for the horns. Originally I drilled the first set of holes too low and the drip edge was hitting the front of the grill and would not close. I redrilled the holes, ensuring that the drip edge was further up and would not hit the front edge. I will need to find a way to cover up or fix the extra screw holes but some high temp rtv should do it (may not be pretty but it'll work). When closed, the drip edge tucks in side and will route any drips or grease into the barrel and not down the front. I plan on painting it high temp black to hide it a bit. I will also use the high temp rtv to seal the edge from the lid to the drip shield so nothing goes underneath. Attached is a Pic of the transition I used from home depot.

I also liked the Grill rack-jack so much that I decided to try to make a set as well. With the tools I have I was able to make a very functional, yet a bit ugly, set as well. The rack jack give me enough to room to lift the grates out of the way and replace foil on the drip pan or vacuum out the bottom without having to remove the dirty grates. The cuts on the sides fit between the grates to lift. There is also a cutout to hold the top secure when lifted and secure the bottom against the front lip of the grill. Attached is a picture of the metal strap I started with from home depot. It's also painted with high temperature paint in case I need to remove hot grates.

I'll post pics when it's done. Just an update on the progress so far.
20210628_123203.jpg
20210628_122639.jpg
20210628_122630.jpg
mitek-metal-straps-ulsta12-64_600.jpg
20210628_122702.jpg
20210628_122702.jpg
20210628_122159.jpg
20210628_122148.jpg
20210628_122245.jpg

Thanks. I'm probably going to make some rack jacks myself. I think I can use my grinder to make some quick cuts, etc. and call it good.

That mountain in the back ground looks familiar. 🤔

Great work. It looks very nice.

…I like the artificial grass. Are used to have it when I lived in Reno. I would love to have it again.

Thanks. I'm probably going to make some rack jacks myself. I think I can use my grinder to make some quick cuts, etc. and call it good.

That mountain in the back ground looks familiar. 🤔
I just used a metal chop saw and a bench grinder. Super simple yet effective. I think the grinder is a better idea though. Let me know if you make them, I'd like to see what anyone else does.

And Mountains are NW Tucson AZ, beautiful huh?

Great job !!!
Thanks! I'm trying to do what's necessary before it gets messy.

I also have the stuff to also make a drip edge for the front of the barrel for any grease that happens to get by the inside drip shield. I'm just copying the Grilla accessories because they make so much sense

If enough members are interested, I can put this together (or someone else more centrally located to the group). Just need anyone wanting one to participate to speak up and give your forum name & location. Maybe if a few members are close enough to each other I could ship theirs together to a single member of that group and they could be distributed amongst themselves to save shipping cost.
I’m in!!! Wilmington NC

Great Job
Google says aluminum melts at 1220 F depending on the grade
Aluminum alloys 865-1240

Beautiful job on the drip edge.
My new bull is on the barge and it should arrive next week in Alaska. I plan on sealing the lid. Would a drip edge also be recommended when the lid is sealed?

Beautiful job on the drip edge.
My new bull is on the barge and it should arrive next week in Alaska. I plan on sealing the lid. Would a drip edge also be recommended when the lid is sealed?
Drips will either run off the drip shield into the barrel or run down into the gasket seal which could divert them as well. I personally think drips will eventually overrun the seal and go down the front because it has to go somewhere. I decided not to seal mine yet and did the shield first.

Without a shield is how they have been used since being invented and You can always clean any grease or goo after a cook. If you are definitely going to use a gasket seal then cook a few times and see what your needs are. Just be cautious and not block the air channel between the heat deflector and the barrel with a big drip Shield. You don't want to change the airflow path that was created from the factory.

Great Job
Google says aluminum melts at 1220 F depending on the grade
Aluminum alloys 865-1240

I'm more worried about any coatings that may off gas than I am about this thing being able to melt any type of metal. 🤔

If it’s truly aluminum, the melting point shouldn’t be an issue, nor should off-gassing. I can’t fathom why an aluminum transition piece would have a coating, but I guess you never know. As long as the paint on the lid is intact, galvanic corrosion shouldn’t be an issue, either. Well, not much, anyway, as long as stainless steel fasteners are used.

I know a fab shop that could laser cut then bend this in a press. Realistically how much demand is there for this? I could have them quote a quantity on Monday. Shipping would be the biggest pain.

Jason

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyclorphan
Back