Bull Inner Lid Drip Shield sketch?

kennethk

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. RT-1070
I saw a post recently about a user that made a metal angle drip edge that he bolted inside the lid to direct drips inside the base instead of outside.
I can't find it now.
Anyone see it?
THX

This one? Lid Lip Drawing

Lip-Sketch.jpeg

Good luck finding the material to do this. I have searched and searched online for 14 gauge SS, can only find it in sheets. For flat stock you are pretty much limited to 1/16" or 1/8", haven't been able to find 3/32". And when I do find the flat stock the width will be limited for what I need to 1 1/2" or 2" (of course 2" will work fine). Now honestly I would expect this as well as the shipping cost equaling the metal cost. You can pretty much expect to spend $50 and that will still be Flat Stock, no angle. Now if you have a local metal source you can probably get what you need. I have found a supplier (Stainless Supply) where I can get exactly what I need to replicate this drawing (except the angle shown is incorrect in the drawing). The 35 degrees shown is the outside angle on the reverse side from flat. The correct inside angle would be 145 degrees. This supplier will cut the sheet down to the exact measurements and break the desired angle for $39.31 (10% discount for 11 or more). Problem is there is a $250 minimum order. If there are enough people interested (we would need at least 7) we can make this happen. 11 or more would get the price down to $35.38. Problem #2 would be shipping to get these distributed amongst us.

i was considering using a 1/8in 304 stainless angle iron on the inside of lid to do this. mounted by the horn bolts. i think it may remove some of the flex in the lid also when you lift it by one horn. y’all think that woods work? it would be angled downward not flat because of the curve of the hood?

I'm thinking of just trying a piece of 1/16" mild steel, which I have, and just breaking it myself. No one will see it anyway, no need to be Stainless. After a while inside the pit the stainless will be dark so no one will know its SS.

I saw a post recently about a user that made a metal angle drip edge that he bolted inside the lid to direct drips inside the base instead of outside.
I can't find it now.
Anyone see it?
THX
I remember that older post too...I tried looking for it couldn't find it.

If there are enough people interested (we would need at least 7) we can make this happen. 11 or more would get the price down to $35.38. Problem #2 would be shipping to get these distributed amongst us.

I'm interested.

I'm interested.
If enough members are interested, I can put this together (or someone else more centrally located to the group). Just need anyone wanting one to participate to speak up and give your forum name & location. Maybe if a few members are close enough to each other I could ship theirs together to a single member of that group and they could be distributed amongst themselves to save shipping cost.

Okay, please pardon my ignorance. What exactly does this shield do?
I think I missed something.
Thanks,
Chris

Just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't a round steel bar pretty much do the same thing? You'd have to use the high temp silicone, but you could filet (shown in red on attached) that. Lowes sells a hollow steel 3/4" x 36" rod for about $10, and the high temp silicone for about $6. I have no idea what size the screws are on the horns, but you should be able to drill the rod (or tack weld steel washer for mounting.)

Attachments

• Drip.jpg
    Drip.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back