Stampede Initial Questions for Newbie

Btk0817

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I have a few questions. I’m new to pellet grilling and consider myself a pretty darn good charcoal box smoker griller. Picked up my recteq today

- my RecTeq app says I have a 1250, even though it’s 590. Will that mess with settings?

-My initial burn, I set the meat probes on Grates. A on Left side, B on right.. at 400 grill temp, A is 478, B is 378 at 30 min in. I understand they will be hotter, but that’s a crazy difference. Am I missing something?

Do you have the probes sitting directly on the grate? Can you post a picture?

Do you have the probes sitting directly on the grate? Can you post a picture?
F0F50FAB-2836-41B1-8103-17DEB7B76DDB.jpeg

Attachments

• 95F1B55B-BCBE-4E0C-8D2B-63E58EF650CD.jpeg
    95F1B55B-BCBE-4E0C-8D2B-63E58EF650CD.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 74
I have a few questions. I’m new to pellet grilling and consider myself a pretty darn good charcoal box smoker griller. Picked up my recteq today

- my RecTeq app says I have a 1250, even though it’s 590. Will that mess with settings?

-My initial burn, I set the meat probes on Grates. A on Left side, B on right.. at 400 grill temp, A is 478, B is 378 at 30 min in. I understand they will be hotter, but that’s a crazy difference. Am I missing something?
I think you can choose your product in the app.
The hex nut where the probes plug-in become loose, tighten gently.

I think you can choose your product in the app.
The hex nut where the probes plug-in become loose, tighten gently.
Hmm. I’ll check them. You can name your grill in the app but the model is automatically designated.

What I see on the probes is probe A’s tip is right on the grate which will be hotter, the tip of probe B is in the gap between the grates which will be closer to what the set point is. if you don’t have probe clips the best way to test is to wad up some foil an poke the probe through it at a little up angle so the tip is in the air. That will give you the most accurate reading.

Hmm. I’ll check them. You can name your grill in the app but the model is automatically designated.
I haven't used the app in while (nor do I have it installed), but you used to be able to choose the model AND name your grill. It will default to the newest grill added to the app (i.e, 1250).

Also, your readings will be off no matter what because you have the probes directly on the grill. You need a probe clip to get more accurate ambient type readings (or better yet, use an ambient probe).

AFAIK, those probes are meant to be in moist items, not reliable laying on metal grates. Use a oven thermometer for more accurate measurements of the grill temps.

Click on settings in the app and choose the grill you have from the list,it’s the little gear looking thing,upper right corner

Click on settings in the app and choose the grill you have from the list,it’s the little gear looking thing,upper right corner
tap on the pic of grill and settings appear in corner

Do you have iOS or Android? I can walk you through changing your grill model on the iOS app.
Sure I’m not sure where to find it unless I have to reconnect in
i have done that. I am actually an IT, so I should know this.lol. But it’s not allowing me to change. I haven’t disconnected and retried though

Sure I’m not sure where to find it unless I have to reconnect in

i have done that. I am actually an IT, so I should know this.lol. But it’s not allowing me to change. I haven’t disconnected and retried though
If you’ve already tapped on your grill and the gear icon, and the different models aren’t showing up, you may need to reconnect it. I’m assuming your operating system and app are both up to date? iOS 15 is needed to solve some app issues, as you probably already know 🙂.

If you’ve already tapped on your grill and the gear icon, and the different models aren’t showing up, you may need to reconnect it. I’m assuming your operating system and app are both up to date? iOS 15 is needed to solve some app issues, as you probably already know 🙂.
Yessir, everything is up to date. I’m not sure. I’ll reconnect tomorrow and see what we got.

Yessir yes, ma'am, everything is up to date. I’m not sure. I’ll reconnect tomorrow and see what we got.
I fixed your post for you 😁
Call Recteq, I'm sure they will be more than happy to assist you, good luck.

Probe A also looks to be over where the hot air would be coming around the drip tray. Prob B is closer to the middle of the drip pan. Maybe that is part of it as well??

I just got a 590 as well, and right off the bat in the paperwork I got, it said they “sent it with the wrong regulators.”I wasn’t sure what they meant, but when I was setting it up, at one point it wanted me to ensure Bluetooth was enabled (not WiFi), and to make sure my phone was close to the grill. Then in the app it auto populates my grill model as a 1250…
Because of the message about the regulator being incorrect, I took a peek down below the hopper, and saw that the auger motor said 3.0 HP. Maybe the “regulator” is basically one unit that includes computer/motor??

Attachments

• E34CDF2B-8A79-4B8B-8347-E6AE693D2BA4.jpeg
    E34CDF2B-8A79-4B8B-8347-E6AE693D2BA4.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 64
  • 149BDED8-A98F-4E57-A079-1F9B104158E3.png
    149BDED8-A98F-4E57-A079-1F9B104158E3.png
    326.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 423E2AE8-2161-4239-8564-470628AF9A13.jpeg
    423E2AE8-2161-4239-8564-470628AF9A13.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back