Inexpensive gas grill for searing

GLF35

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Does anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive gas grill for searing? Love my Bull, but when reverse searing a steak at 225 it takes 15 minutes to get it up to 500 degrees for searing! Thanks ahead of time for suggestions!

A used older weber is worth restoring if your handy. Replaced my 19 year old roted out Genesis with a non rotted 20 year old one. Paid $100, plus another $100 for neww grates and flavorizers, and a lot of elbow grease to get it cleaned up.

I will look for one. I rebuilt my old Weber 3 times before it finally succumbed to rust!

I have a gasser with side burner. The last few minutes the steak is on the pit I heat a CI skillet on the side burner. When the CI is good and hot I add a bit of ghee (takes to heat better than just butter or most oils). One minute or so on each side gives a great sear and the ghee a great flavor. Maybe look for a propane burner. Might be cheaper than a grill?

I have the Sear grates, but I also, stole a gas side burner off and old grill, and hooked it to cart I use for prep. It has alot of extra old equipment on it in the pic, but you get the idea .
IMG_20200222_110134.jpg

I do my steaks on lump charcoal/wood in my komado with the charcoal raised up near touching the grate. But, if I didn't have this convenient equipment handy, I'd get a cheap old Hibachi grill. They are often less than $50 or even $30 new. If you want to blow $100 on one, Lodge (cast iron pan company) makes one. They are very small and store easily. You can light a fire in one and have it ready in about 10 mins if you use a weed burner to get it going. You will be able to do some of the best grilling of shiskababs/yakitori and steaks. Not knocking the RT pellet grills for steaks, but I just like them better on extremely hot fire.

But to answer your question, there are a lot of little table top gas grills that might set on the left shelf of a Bull. Here's one https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cuisina...kybmDwWlSWIJmSXAr0xoCIygQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

cuisinart-flat-top-grills-cgg-501g-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:
That is a sharp looking unit and small, I will check it out!

I would just heat up a cast iron pan and sear. To get extra sear, cover the steak with mayo. Or use a Torch, that's what I do when I cook steaks in my Sous Vide.
Best Greg

Drumr0 - would be interested in instructions also for sear box install, was thinking about the same thing.

If you’d like to use a pan or cast iron, these Iwatani stoves are incredible. People use them for wok cooking because they heat up a wok fast. Small foot print and the butane lasts for a while. They also come with a carrying/storage case. There are some less expensive brands out there that work great too. GasOne is an option. I have both and would recommend either.

You can also use your oven broiler. Makes a nice even sear and no flares. You have to undercook a lot on the pellet grill if you are shooting for a target temp.

I have been very pleased with the camp chef. it works awesome. I converted mine to Natural gas and install a quick connect on side of garage. It is awesome for searing steaks. I have measures 900 degrees with it on the cast-iron grates that comes with it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back