Grillgrates vs Gas Grill

Bobbyh83

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I just ordered a RT-1250 and plan to take it with us in the RV (toy hauler). I was planning to buy grillgrates to sear steaks and burgers but now I am wondering if just using the weber Q1200 travel grill I usually bring is a better option. I was thinking of not taking both, but I already have a storage spot for the Weber so really nothing lost and I could save the money for grillgrates. I tend to overanalyze. What is the common consensus here?

You don’t mention your age, fitness level, and how many people traveling with you can help move it, but speaking for myself, I wouldn’t wrestle with a 1250 traveling in an RV if I were a young man! Also, the stock legs on the 700/1250 are not made to take a lot of abuse (rough terrain, etc), so that’s another factor to consider.

As mentioned above, the stock legs and casters will probably not hold up to much moving around. If you are going to move it around, I would invest in a wheel upgrade or better yet the comp cart. You could use the Weber travel grill for reverse searing steaks that get the smoke from the 1250.

What kind of camping are you doing, a seasonal site, full timer, week here and there? I’d consider the smoker, in my case a much smaller 340, if it was seasonal or sitting in one site for a couple weeks but not traveling. I RV’ed for years with a Q1000 and a Jumbo Joe for when I wanted to fuss with charcoal.

Sorry, but IMO, the 1250 is definitely NOT a travel grill. We carried a 340 in our motorhome and it was on the edge of too much to handle. Anything bigger would definitely be too much, and probably wouldn’t survive anyway. As said, unless you have the comp cart, the spindly legs on the 1250 won’t hold up. YMMV

You can get GrillGrates for the Weber. They're not replacement grates, though - they sit on the existing.

It is a toy hauler - so he could have got the 1070 and mounted it to a golf cart...
The 1250 with comp cart would work fine, toy haulers have nice ramps to take stuff off/on.

From my experience using grillgrates at home on my RT-700, ramping up the Recteq to 400 or 450 with the grill grates on during warm up should provide the searing I’m guessing you’re looking for. Keep in mind, and according to the manufacturer’s information, the GrillGrates amplify the heat about 100-150 degrees above what your Recteq is set at. I’m thinking you don’t need the Weber if you’re okay lugging the 1250 around.

My 590 has a comp cart so it'sprettysturdy. I've done my fair share of RVing, too, and would not subject my cooker to the rigors of the road..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back