Gas Grills

I know it’s not RT related, but I use my gasser 3 or 4 times a week and it is in need of replacement. Wondering if anyone has bought a good one lately that they’d recommend.

I currently have a 2001 WEBER genesis 3 burner with a side burner that I never use, there’s only 2 of us so I have no use for a bigger unit, just want a good quality one that will last. I’ve been eyeballing a Napoleon Prestige but have yet to see one.

If you have one, does an infrared burner in the back work well for the rotisserie?

Thanks
Glad to see so many other Napoleon users. I bought the Prestige 500 last year and absolutely love it. The flame thrower starter is cool, and I use mine quite often to sear steaks and transfer them to my RT 590 to finish. It doesn't have the searing option, so I use the grill grates that fit the 590 and place them on the Napoleon and when it reads around 550 or so, I sear 'em up. I only used the rotisserie once but it does great. I think you'll be pleased with a Napoleon.

I also use a Napoleon 500 Phantom. It has been great in the year I have had it. It has the side sear burner but I really don't use as it can get really hot in the main chamber. The grates are cast stainless steel which was a new one for me.

Does anyone have any experience with this Kirkland (Costco) gasser? I told myself I was going to buy a Weber this time. But, the features to price ratio on this Kirkland are hard to pass up. High on my list of desires is easy maintenance, good searing capability, and minimal risk of uncontrollable flare ups. Also, I want it to last more than 3 years without having to replace burners, grill grates, etc. it will stored on a covered deck.

I put my gas grill out on the curb Thursday evening "gone within 30 minutes", and I have gone the Blackstone griddle route this time. :)

Does anyone have any experience with this Kirkland (Costco) gasser? I told myself I was going to buy a Weber this time. But, the features to price ratio on this Kirkland are hard to pass up. High on my list of desires is easy maintenance, good searing capability, and minimal risk of uncontrollable flare ups. Also, I want it to last more than 3 years without having to replace burners, grill grates, etc. it will stored on a covered deck.
No, but Costco has a great warranty and return policy

AlphaPapa,
My father has a Kirkland gasser amongst his cooking toys. Overall it has been a very good unit. His is ~20 years old and primarily stainless steel (I don’t know the content of the current version, but make sure at least the cooking chamber, lid and grates are 304SS or a similar grade, and thick). I was also impressed by the fact that the overall output is around 80,000BTUs across 4 burners, and the accessory side-sear burner works quite well. It was actually made by a major brand appliance manufacturer and labelled Kirkland which makes buying replacement parts a little easer. From my perspective, the burner tubes will require periodic replacement along with his anti-flare burner covers if your are in a high humidity environment or if it/they are exposed to acidic substances (i.e., bbq sauces, citric juices, and the like) that are common with his cooking style. As you are putting it together, toss out all the cheap fasteners and purchase aircraft (AMS or race grade) fasteners. You will thank me later when the tubes are replaced as the bolts/screws will be easier to remove. Overall, based on the insulation, ease of use, build quality, and Costco’s warranty, I give it a 7 for quality, a 7 for ease of assembly, and a 8 for versatility. This is a 9/10 across the board for the space in the outdoor cookery world’s mid-grade appliances sector in my book which is/was great for quality vs cost tradeoff. I know that doesn’t seem like a high rating but I use a Lynx Professional that was about $15K fully rigged so my expectations are not normal. YMMV as I said, his unit is over 20 years old and still kicking I suggest you take a look at the specs, not the sparkle of a new unit to see what you like before your purchase.

AlphaPapa,
My father has a Kirkland gasser amongst his cooking toys. Overall it has been a very good unit. His is ~20 years old and primarily stainless steel (I don’t know the content of the current version, but make sure at least the cooking chamber, lid and grates are 304SS or a similar grade, and thick). I was also impressed by the fact that the overall output is around 80,000BTUs across 4 burners, and the accessory side-sear burner works quite well. It was actually made by a major brand appliance manufacturer and labelled Kirkland which makes buying replacement parts a little easer. From my perspective, the burner tubes will require periodic replacement along with his anti-flare burner covers if your are in a high humidity environment or if it/they are exposed to acidic substances (i.e., bbq sauces, citric juices, and the like) that are common with his cooking style. As you are putting it together, toss out all the cheap fasteners and purchase aircraft (AMS or race grade) fasteners. You will thank me later when the tubes are replaced as the bolts/screws will be easier to remove. Overall, based on the insulation, ease of use, build quality, and Costco’s warranty, I give it a 7 for quality, a 7 for ease of assembly, and a 8 for versatility. This is a 9/10 across the board for the space in the outdoor cookery world’s mid-grade appliances sector in my book which is/was great for quality vs cost tradeoff. I know that doesn’t seem like a high rating but I use a Lynx Professional that was about $15K fully rigged so my expectations are not normal. YMMV as I said, his unit is over 20 years old and still kicking I suggest you take a look at the specs, not the sparkle of a new unit to see what you like before your purchase.
Thanks for taking the time to write all this out. Very helpful! I am leaning towards giving it a shot. Turns out I have an extensive inventory of aviation fasteners left over from the kit plane I built. I will see which ones I can use.

No, but Costco has a great warranty and return policy
Yes, I hear they do. They refunded me for the bad brisket they sold me a couple of months ago without any problems. But, I’m not sure I’d feel right showing with a grill I have used for 3 years and asking for a refund, though.

Yes, I hear they do. They refunded me for the bad brisket they sold me a couple of months ago without any problems. But, I’m not sure I’d feel right showing with a grill I have used for 3 years and asking for a refund, though.
I have a 2006 gasser and the three biggest things that have allowed it to last this long, ok it has a life time warranty, are cast bronze burners but, I see they have cast stainless burners available, 5/16in rod Stainless cooking grates which are still perfect and a SS cabinet that a magnet will not stick too.

In looking at new ones, as my valves will go at some point, I am looking at those three things.

Good point

I have a 2006 gasser and the three biggest things that have allowed it to last this long, ok it has a life time warranty, are cast bronze burners but, I see they have cast stainless burners available, 5/16in rod Stainless cooking grates which are still perfect and a SS cabinet that a magnet will not stick too.

In looking at new ones, as my valves will go at some point, I am looking at those three things.
RattleR,

Although not asked, I recommend you take a look at the parts list in your manual and order replacement parts before they go obsolete. I do this with all my cookers when they are still in production. This usually includes a couple of extra igniters, a couple of extra knobs, at least 2 burner tubes and other miscellaneous items like flare guards and “wear” items. I’ve had my Lynx and a Kenmore Elite going for over 20 years and they still operate like the day I bought them.

Last edited:
RattleR,

Although not asked, I recommend you take a look at the parts list in your manual and order replacement parts before they go obsolete. I do this will all my cookers when they are still in production. This usually includes a couple of extra igniters, a couple of extra knobs, at least 2 burner tubes and other miscellaneous items like flare guards and “wear” items. I’ve had my Lynx and a Kenmore Elite going for over 20 years and they still operate like the day I bought them.
Thats genious....

AlphaPapa,

You and I are cut from the same stone. I also feel guilt if I have a decent service life out of a product even if it has an extended warranty.

I know it’s not RT related, but I use my gasser 3 or 4 times a week and it is in need of replacement. Wondering if anyone has bought a good one lately that they’d recommend.

I currently have a 2001 WEBER genesis 3 burner with a side burner that I never use, there’s only 2 of us so I have no use for a bigger unit, just want a good quality one that will last. I’ve been eyeballing a Napoleon Prestige but have yet to see one.

If you have one, does an infrared burner in the back work well for the rotisserie?

Thanks
I’ve been pleased with my Grilla Grills Primate. It comes with stainless steel grates as well as a cast iron griddle. So I can do standard gas grilling or put the griddle on for all the things one might use a Blackstone for.

https://www.grillagrills.com/product/ps-primate-gas-grill-and-griddle

Thanks
Another Napoleon user here. NG built in 500 series from 2007, no cover (CA weather again). Only that has gone out is the ignitor and a butane lighter takes care of that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back